Where are you doing your weekly shopping now?

Home Forums Spot the Bargain Where are you doing your weekly shopping now?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    izzy

yea i have been overcharged so many times in Tesco, only last week bought bag of chicken fillets which was surposed to be half price 6.50 i was still charged 12.99 so i didnt say anything at the check out, just went up to the customer service and got my money refunded plus free chicken, i wised up to that a long time ago. i also buy most of my fruit and veg in Lidl, its so much cheaper than tesco, €3 for a bag of tomatoes this week, half that in Lidl

EJ

I really really really dont like tesco. Yes its huge, and there’s a great selection of stuff in there, but I have been over charged so many times and its expensive enough as it is. However in saying that, I’ve been overcharged in the local supervalu and centra’s too. Aldi and lidl are the business for every day stuff, but I’m in Ardee, so I do go to Newry every week. I spent £100 there today for my weeks shop, but I’ll prob hit Lidl for a top up if I need to later in the week. I’m vegetarian and I bake a lot too, so I have to go to the regular supermarkets for the Quorn and baking items I use. We are so lucky to have the best of both worlds with Newry so close. I wonder will their change in UK VAT rates in the new year make much difference?

sweetpea1979

I find that I can’t get all my groceries in either Aldi or Lidl, and it just wrecks my head going there and then to either Dunnes or Tesco to get the rest!!! I now do my shop either in Dunnes or Tesco – depending on the mood I’m in, and who seems to have a few more bargains on, but did my shop last month in Sainsbury’s and yes did get a few bargains but it came in more or less the same as doing a shop here 🙁 so this month it’ll be either Dunnes or Tesco getting the business.

I think I may even try Superquinn – their New Essentials range seems to be a bit of a hype, so I may go and have a look and see if anygood – although I probably won’t do the full shop unless bargains or good offers are available. I do buy my meat there as I can’t seem to find any decent meat around locally and yes I know there will be replies for butchers locally, I’m sorry I’ve tried various butchers and can’t say that I’ve really and truly been ecstatic with the meat out of them, and I’ve paid a good bit of money for the same amount of meat as I get out of Superquinn, whereas out of Superquinn the meat I’ve always got has been superb – although a bit dear, but then again we don’t eat meat everyday so the shop lasts that bit longer 🙂

So we’ll see how things go and how much money will be put into our economy with my next shop!! 🙄 🙄

Taylor5

I have to say i shop in my local butchers, but superquinn meat is top class… i would often pop in and get stuff when up at my mams, superquinn sausages are to die for!!!

Sweetpea have you tired Hoeys in Bryanstown? I have gone out to Tullyallen to the Butchers over there, BRILLIANT offers, i stocked up the freezer for a good few dinners for 36 euro, we dont eat meat everyday so it lasted a good few weeks, the quality of the meat is fantastic…. i cant think of the name but im sure the tullyallen girls will post the name, well worth a visit

Financial Companion
    Participant

I wasn’t hungry until you mentioned Superquinn sausages Taylor lol 😉 When we first moved to Drogheda we still used to go back down to Superquinn to do our shopping! Those years are gone now though! There’s a wholesale meat suppliers you can shop at in Finglas called Gahan Meats (think they have a website as well) they are always listing specials on their facebook page. I get chicken fillets by the box and freeze them, works out great value! Okay, recipe of the day, slice open chicken fillets, stuff with a little spring onion and feta cheese, season with black pepper and bake for 20 mins, servve with pasta (cooked in vegetable stock so you don’t need to add a sauce) and a greek salad (olives optional!) Quick and healthy! 😉

Taylor5

omg that sounds fab…. im starving now!!! Dont have any chicken so will leave this until later in the week… yum yum

Financial Companion
    Participant

LOL, see what you started mentioning superquinn sausages 😉 I must admit, when I do the information coffee mornings (it’s where I call to someone’s house or place or work, they have a few friends or colleagues and I just chat with general advice on how to save money and make sure people understand aspects of financial planning) we seem to always end up describing healthy option tasty recipes!! Deffo need a snack now, have to be fruit though 😉

Fabienne

Financial companion I’m waiting for your next recipe.

This one seams simple and nice.

Last week went to the butcher had my meat and my bone.
    The bone was so big, it was the whole meal for us.
    We had to steak the day after.

Now I want to try superquinn sausages..

Fabienne

Taylor5

Fabienne the sausages in hoeys butcher in bryanstown are as nice as superquinn sausages and not as far to travel

Financial Companion
    Participant

Yeah Fabienne, when they are simple, people are more likely to try them 😉 Okay, one more easy one (and healthy!) Get some tail-ends of cod or similar type fish (tail ends so there are no bones!) and place in a casserole dish, pour in tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, chopped onions, sliced green peppers and mushrooms. Put the dish into the microwave on full power for 20 minutes, and it’s all cooked! Serve on wholewheat pasta cooked in a vegetable stock for flavour (no sauce needed) Enjoy! 😉

Taylor5

Yeah Fabienne, when they are simple, people are more likely to try them 😉 Okay, one more easy one (and healthy!) Get some tail-ends of cod or similar type fish (tail ends so there are no bones!) and place in a casserole dish, pour in tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, chopped onions, sliced green peppers and mushrooms. Put the dish into the microwave on full power for 20 minutes, and it’s all cooked! Serve on wholewheat pasta cooked in a vegetable stock for flavour (no sauce needed) Enjoy! 😉

Oh my mother would love this one… she is always look for quick and easy dishes

Financial Companion
    Participant

That one is really easy Taylor and the tomatoes just melt into the fish! I’m making myself hungry again lol 😉

MaryE

Since having the baby, im back in tesco doing my shopping for two reasons, its open when kids in bed, so i can do shopping at night & two, i need to buy branded formula + nappies. Im spening too much even when im trying to watch it.

I also buy my meat from a butchers it is sooooooooo much nicer and just as cheap if not cheaper then the supermarkets. Lately ive been going to the butchers in South gate & im really impressed with the quality & price.

Ive also started buying veg & fruit from the place beside curves as my ds started refusing to eat the bananas i bought in tesco & i wouldnt blame him, i tasty one myself as it was horrible.

Still go back to lidl for their fish & ice creams when i get the chance.

Taylor5

The South gate butchers is lovely, really really nice chap and lovely meat.

The Veg shop in bloomfield is brilliant isnt it …. i was in one day and the owner even gave me a bag of plums or mandrins that were close to going off, he said fine to eat but not to sellat full price
    i can get eggs, large spuds and tonnes of fruit and veg for 20 euro

MaryE

Yeah, its very reasonable alright. I bought a good bit of fruit & veg there the other day, including spuds & Eggs and only spent €12 – i couldnt believe it. I left with a big box & a smile.

Fruit is lovely too, ds is back eating bananas, so i am happy. Those tesco ones were so chalky, i thoughtit might put him off for life. 😡

The jam looked lovely too but i stopped myself from buying it as dont want nice things like that in the house – too much tempation. 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.