New Irish Schoolbook Publisher – cheaper books!

Home Forums Education New Irish Schoolbook Publisher – cheaper books!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Martina
    Participant

Big piece in the Daily Mail today about an Irish Publishing Company based in Kerry who are producing books for use with the Irish Junior & Leaving Certificate at fraction of their cost compared to Fallons & Gill & McMillan.

Educate.ie are this year starting to sell its first full syllabus books charging €12 each and they are taking as an example the Leaving Cert Biology Book retailled at €34.50/95 published by Folens & Edco

Average Leaving Certificate Student does 7 Subjects at €12 per book that would work out with roughly a €150.00 saving per child going into fifth year!

We all know that these books are being revised every couple of years to promote sales and stop second hand dealing and swapping books by these companies who change around the chapter numbers and a few words here and there because the only syllabuses to have changed are Maths & Irish in the last few years so thechanges are un-necesssary.

How many of you paid €12.00 per set of exam papers last year, this company sold them and made a profit for €2.50 a subject (I’m so mad I didn’t know this at the time).

Its about time someone tried to rival these big companies who have held us to ransom for years! As parents we should put pressure on our schools to purchase from this new company, irish company, irish jobs, it will boost our economy and have the added avantage of saving us money as well!

Taylor5

wow thats an amazing price, just goes to show how much the other companies can make

Jedt
    Keymaster

That’s brilliant, about time books were priced reasonably!

Jedt
    Keymaster

My son & daughter are in primary school – does anyone know where to get books for them? The school used to buy them for us but this year we have to get them ourselves, so wondering where is best to go for that.

Thanks.

scole1

http://www.abcbookshop.ie/

they usually do offers aswell fo fre book covering, perhaps not just now, but an idea would be to get a few parents together to order the books and get free delivery etc…..

or you can get delivered to citi office supplies on the quays in drogheda

but keep an eye on their site for the free book covering well worth it..

Fabienne

Sabbi I checked the price of the books (same classes as yours) and on 2 websites it’s the same.
    Easons will come to the gaelscoil the 8th of june, I’ll buy on the day the one that are the same price.
    Now silly question : tin whistle (D) is it a book or the actual music instrument?

On the down side, the tracksuit may change colour(by how much??) ! did not get a clear answer.

Fabienne

Jedt
    Keymaster

The tracksuit had better not change colour, I bought my children two each last year!!!! 😈 I did not hear anything about that??? They only changed the design last year, surely they would not change it again so soon.

Will get the books in the school on 8th June, just thought it would be good idea to shop around first but if prices the same, its easy to get them at the school.

chewieodie
    Participant

If they change the tracksuit, I’ll be fit to 👿 throttle someone….

I’m just wondering if they have a tracksuit small enough for my DD 😆 🙄 she is already the smallest in her Montessori…. and she is in Jnr infants in Sept.
    She’ll probably drown in them all 😆

I hadn’t heard about the tracksuit changing?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Chewie, pretty sure they have small sized tracksuits, my friend’s little guy started last year and he had size 3-4 I think, he was only a little fella and she got one to fit him. The shop on the corner of Peter St and Laurence St in Drogheda has the tracksuits, you can check in there about sizes & prices.

Will ask one of the mums about the tracksuit change possibiliy….really hope its not changing. They are usually so good about things like that, cannot imagine they would change it after just one year. And I was just saying the other day how we don’t have to buy too much in the way of uniforms for September 🙄

Here’s hoping!

Fabienne

I’ll let you ask about the tracsuit, to confirm I don’t want to spread a rumor.The secretary did say it’s going to change, but could not get when, for september or the year after. She said they’ll allow to still have the old ones.

It’s going to be a lighter grey.
    But I heard the top will be bluey and grey/bluey bottom.
    Apparently some mums know about it (the one who collect kids at school and chat with other mums at school).
    People were complaining about quality so they want to change AGAIN!.

But please check and let me know, I just hope I’m wrong.

I need a new one for sept, but I won’t buy any extra just in case, and I’ll make my kids share, glad they’re close in size.

Fabienne, in search for cheap book as well.

Taylor5

abcbooks.ie is a great site, i got ds’s books there last year and got them covered free, it worked out with postage about 9e cheaper then The Wise Owl (1.20 per book to cover). I did want to shop local, but i found to order online stress free and straight to your door.

Sabbi i know our school are doing a payment scheme with abcbooks, you can set up anaccount and pay 20, 30 euro a week and build up credit… if you do this you get your books covered free

munchin
    Participant

well first year in the market for school books as dd1 starts in September.

Educate.ie is for Secondary & upwards

i tried Abcbooks, Wise Owl, Easons & Schoolbooks.ie
    abcbooks with the free covering on at the minute was only one with all books instock and cheaper than all the other sites – now lets just pray i’ve ordered the right books 😆 😆

wise owl were missing one book but still about 15-20euro dearer
    easons didn’t have 4 of the 9 books
    and Schoolbooks was missing the dearest books so again i got that would have ended up about 7euro approx dearer.

now just to label her books and then i’ll start thinking about uniform – childwill be ready to go in a week 😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

I found them great last year, i had a look between eason and abcbook.ie, i found it so hassle free and as you say a few euro cheaper…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fabienne
    Tin whistle means the actual instrument, my son has it on the list too. 😀

Taylor5

I got a tin whistle in the sound shop for 3e

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.