Money Saving Tips

Home Forums Louth Chat Money Saving Tips

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    yummymummy

You save a fotune not shopping every week.
    Finished work early yest so headed to aldi for a few bits i would normally get in the local shop €11 it cost me whereas it usually costs around €20 €25 in local shop, madness isnt it.

I never leave lights on in a room im not in, and only my bedroom tv is left on standby (sleep timer) and my esb is never anymore than €80 i would die if it was more as i usually have to compensate the small esb bill with a HUGE gas bill.

I also have an emergency fund of €20 a week direct debit, u dont notice it leaving but you certainly notice it piling up, it has paid for weekend away, a car service, b day pressies and now it will pay for my wii, happy days.

I also put all my 20,10,5,2 and 1 cent coins in a savings jar for ds and when it full we lodge it into his PO account, he has a fair bit in it already and its all just from spare coins.

Yvonne

Will definitely be doing that, what I had to throw out last night was a sin… might not do a proper shop until all the stuff in the freezer is gone… maybe go to Sainsburys and do a big shop.

We got our ESB bill yesterday, €199 FFS!!!! and it wasn’t estimated!

We save the coins too, last August I counted it and we had €750 in it 😯 😆 , we were delighted to say the least!

yummymummy

good idea yvonne and then maybe defrost the freezer too 🙂 🙂

€750 my god i would have no where near that, its only a small jar PMSL well done!!!!!!

€199 FFS is right thats double mine 🙂 but then im only in a 2bed 2 bath house!

yummymummy

If you dont know what to cook and nly have a few items in your kitchen, type them in here and google will throw out some recipes that you could use 🙂 no more wasting food.

http://www.researchbuzz.org/wp/tools/co … th-google/

ed1
    Participant

definitely gonna try that yummy.

was up in aldi yesterday and the tins and boxes of biscuits are reduced if you are like me and love a biscuit with tea it works out cheaper than buying a few packets of biscuits.

i also save the loose change, i save it for the bin charges. i also put a few bob off both my esb and gas bill every week or 2 and when bill comes in then its usually in credit. saves having to fork out a lot at the end of the month.

Taylor5

We do the coin thing too, we put from 50 cent downwards in a jar in the kitchen. I counted it before xmas and there was nearly 200 euro, I dont let it build up too much as the last time there was over 500 euro.

We also save 1 and 2 euro coin in a tin (out of valueland) that you have to open with a can opener. I would guess that thereis over 100 euro in it. But I know when its full it holds about a thousand euro, Mumof2’s little fella opened his for his holidays and he had about 800 euro in it. You really dont notice the odd 1 or 2 euro coin.

Im a lover of saving the childcare allowance. You really dont miss it, I started nearly two years ago and the money is building at a great rate. If you have one child it adds up to about 3 thousand a year, this could pay for a holiday or car insurance etc or just leave it in a collage/school fund. I found I was buying ds clothes or toys just to spend it on him or a few times I paid the esb bill. When I started paying bills with it I started to put it away. Halifax do a great saving plan

Taylor5

Yummy Im starving after going onto that site, its very good

Yvonne

Thats a great site, where do you find them Yummy!

noeleenw

went to local shop this evening 2.50 euro for 2 litres of milk ffs, its 1.45 in lidl

Taylor5

I got a pan of brennans bread in the maxol garage and it was 2.30 😯 😯 😯 I nearly died. Now I buy 2 in Dunnes and freeze one for later in the week……. I sound like such a tight wad 😳 😆 😆

Yvonne

The price of the basics is getting silly now..

Taylor5

I dont know how some of the shops can sell a joint of meat or a chicken for not much more then the price or a ltr of milk and a pan of bread.

Would happily pay 15 euro for a free range chicken then buy a supermarket on for 5.99

ed1
    Participant

the bread from dunnes is probably baked by brennans or some other brand name bread and yet its half the price.

i used to work in a food packing company in drogheda a few years ago and the same ingredients that went to a st bernards item also went into their own brand name. dont want to say exactly the items incase someone from the factory is online but you get the gist of what i am saying. this particular item my mam would buy all the time from dunnes and when we were kids we wouldnt eat them as we said it wasnt the real thing. anyway i have changed my mind about that now. what brings the price down is not the ingredients its the packaging.

yummymummy

i used to freeze bread and milk when i had an extra freezer, now there just isnt room 🙁 maybe i should invest in a small chest one, might save me money i the long run!!!

yvonne i found the link to that on rollercoaster under the recipe section 🙂

scole1

well tesco bread is nicer that the dunnes bread and it’s 57c and lasts that little bit longer……

i find dunnes has got dear even if you are buying their own brand

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.