How friendly are you?

Home Forums National Chat How friendly are you?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    scole1

yeah think people are a little afraid especially incase there are weirdos out there, and yeah know the person reffered to above …..

there is an eliment especially when comes to kids people are afraid of how friendly is too friendly iykwim, i have to admit that i would be a bit wary of people speaking to my ds wthout me with him, in public place….

i remember one day in tkmaxx this little girl was crying looking for her mammy, many people just looked at her and said nothing wasn’t long after madeline mccann or else was the anniversary of madeline mccann going missing….anyway i was the only one who approached her asked if she was ok and said i’ll help find your mom, then in a shot her mother appeared and the look i got from her she grabbed her child and glared at me…i felt like i was a criminal…the child had been wandering around for at least 10-15mins, i can see how the mother was glaring at me as she thought i perhaps could have been a wierdobut on the same token i would never have my child away from my side in a shop for that long…..i was mortified even though i had done no wrong….but i can see how easily a child can be taken and how easily they do talk to strangers too…..

Taylor5

I found a child about 6 in the waterpark changing room about 2 weeks ago, still have him…. ah no only messing. 😆 😆 😆 Now he only had a pair of swimming trunks and I had him by the hand walking up and down calling out "brendan" his dads name. I not kidding I was holding his hand for 5 or 6 mins and NO-ONE was looking for him. The dad did appear chatting to another guy, the kid ran up in tears, I walked up and said he was lost and was very upset, the DAD slapped his head Messing and called him a "muppet"…. I felt like saying Who would be the fucking muppet if some fucking weirdo was hanging about in the changing rooms…. some people are think ( well men anyway)

It costs nothing to be nice. My LO is 1 and only has a few words…one of which is "Hiya"…she says it to everyone that passes if we’re out walking, in a restaurant etc. You wouldn’t believe the amount of people who just look at her stoney faced! She’s only a little baby and cute as a button (if I do say so myself 😀 )….I just don’t get people like that 🙁

Moonflower

thats exactly what i mean razzle…how can anyone ignore a child…of course as they get older and no child should be out of yoru sight for a moment until they are old enough to understand not to talk to strangers or go off with strangers……i know i look liek a real freak sometimes as i just dont relax unless i can see DS constantly …i often get told relax he wil be ok…but i dont care thats how i am….

but many of us are away form our hometowns and families and if ur having a down day a smile or hello from a stranger is lovely…

but i dont think i want to meet your stranger Taylor… 😳

chewieodie
    Participant

Gotta say, we’ve got a friendly bunch…. 😆

Both of mine say Hi and try to strike up a conversation with ANYONE they meet… can be downright embarrassing at times! 😳 But, I wouldn’t change it for the world.

A gentle glance to a stranger, or a smile in the eyes, makes so so much difference… and even though people may look at me funny 😯 … its who I am, and I’m afraid my little folk follow suit.

mammycool
    Participant

The innocence of babies – I would not change it for the world. My little man talks to everyone. If he sees anyone outside, he opens the window and shouts out "hello everybody". He does not always get an answer but typical toddler, he keeps repeating it until he gets some response!!!!

I come from a small rural village and everyone talked to everyone and knew everyone. It was unheard of not to speak. It has changed over the years. As strangers moved in, the would walk by, avoid eye contact and definately not speak.

I live is a much bigger village now – I generally attempt to speak to people I meet – there would be a few dodgy characters in the area and I would definately try to avoid them. I would not speak to anyone I would meet in town – it would be a bit strange to talk to lots of strangers while walking about shopping. Definately more people talk when you have children. I regret to say that I would be a bit wary of men talking to my babies – you expect the women to. I suppose we learn to be suspicious of men through all the media attention on male perverts.

Do not get me started on theolder generation. I generally do not have a problem with them but had a run in with a very ignorant old man earlier this evening. I was out walking with my baby in the pram when a dog came charging at us. I let a roar at the dog – as you do. This old fella told me that the dog would not touch us. I replied that is what everyone says about their own dog. He then gave me a lecture stating that if he said the dog would not touch then it would not touch. In future to have more curtesy(spelt that wrong), he was living here 40 years and to be on my way! All this while this nasty little dog was jumping around me and my baby barking and going mental. He did not even bother to call the dog off.

He seems to think that because he bought / inherited / or whatever 40 years ago, that he had a right to the road we were walking on, that we were not from the area and I had no right to scream at his dog.

It was like a red rag to a bull. I had a rough day, my baby was tired and cranky and here was this fella telling me where I could walk with my pram!!!!!!

Informed him of the law with regard to dogs in public, told him that I had a small baby and could not risk my baby based on his opinion – the bloody cheek of him!!!!! I cannot claim to be 40 years living anywhere as I am not that old but I am from the county and have lived here all my life..

Moonflower

thats awful…..my dogs are well used to children but i always put them on lead if i see children…but it frustrates me wen others dont do same as my dogs r under control but if a loose dog comes up to them its hard to control them…..

as for the 40 yrs story…i can honestly say as much as i love mornington…it wil never b my home…one of my old neighbours threatened to get her sons to attack me bcause she thought I had called dog warden to her loose running staffie..i hadnt at all i had just tried to make freinds & say that i was a bit frightened of dog & wen i passed her house wiv my baby in buggy & my own 2 dogs it was a bit scary & was he ok etc…next thing another neighbour had called dog warden…it certainly wasnt me…& she said to me it was new comers liek me that were changin mornington…her family were mornington & people liek me were not welcome….

then a girl in toddler group feels she has so much more right to be there than anyone else because she was brought up in area & who were we newcomers to say wat went on there etc…i have had thsi said to my face & i am a meek & mild person to say least….

have had it from others as well…we all have our hometowns & new people move in all time thats evolution….

not all are like this i know but it goes on & i am sure it does everywhere…..it just makes me very sad as i try to be friendly with everyone…….

yummymummy

lol well in that case moonflwoer, i have a right to tell the majority of ye on here to get off hahaha cos im the only drogheda born and bred person here (well im in the minority lol)

that kinda thing is sooo silly it really is.

i also hate people with loose dogs , im afraid of dogs, really DO NOT like them at all, people cannot grasp this concept at all and it does my head in. when im in a park i freak out, dogs should be on leashes, oh the dog wont touch you blah blah IM AFRAID of them and by law they should be on a leash YOU TWAT!!!!! FFS!!!!!

alot of older people think the world owes them a favour, i really hope i dont end up like that. my nana isnt like that at all, she is actually a nice old lady 🙂

MaryE

Hi Moonflower,

I just wanted to say "Hello".

Be in Touch with you soon.

Miss our chats & badly need some Reflexology.

Take care.

Sinprey

i am also nervous of dogs and hate to see them off leads especially in estates,closed in spaces. a man living nearby was always ,he wont touch u hes harmless about his dog who who leap on everyone until the day came where the dog nipped a child and was put down. he has a new dog now but keeps it on the lead. u just never know with dogs and just because they dont overtly show aggression doesnt mean theyr harmless.as for friendliness i wud chat to the wall if it answered. my kids are a litl shy yet. but i also have suffered the old cold shoulder as a blowin and recently thought i was being paranoid when some of the mums at the local school go out of the way not to talk to you but another friendlier local mum advised me alot of locals wudnt like the fact im from dublin and also from the particular estate i live in . 🙄 i do realise that youcant get on with everyone but jeez we all breathe the same air.

hjs

I know this has gone away from the original point a bit, the beauty of conversation but…

I am originally from the UK, lived most of my life there in the much friendlier than the south north, but what I encountered there on so much of a daily basis that it is part of your culture is that NOONE EVER greets each other. In fact, you’d go out of your way to avoid eye contact and heaven forbis you’d actually talk to a stranger…

To be fair, i am a big city girl and that’s where my experience comes from, but i have spent enough time in the smaller towns, villages and other communitites to know it’s often the same – you don’t acknowledge the people you don’t know because ur default position is to be suspicious of them.

Point i’m trying to make is that even id half of the people i encounter out and about here acknowledge me, that’d be about 200% more than what I’m used to. So let’s count ourselves lucky and keep working on the principle that a smile is infectious – that’s all an individual can do!

Moonflower

Hi,

thats another misconception of uk….northerners being more freindly than southerners…..my first husband was from north of england & the comments i had made to me being a southerner…..when people think of english people they mainly think of people from big cities….london,birmingham etc…& southerners tend to be thought of as unfriendly but i would say if u ever visit the area i am from Hampshire…New Forest area you will be so surprised at the friendlieness of people…so i certainly dont agree with northerners being more freindly than southerneres in uk…and after a holiday to a uk caravan site last year …i found many english people very very rude & they were not from my area…so even being english myself…i know its not the country ur from but the person ur inside………

my ex husband made his life in my home town after our marraige broke up & he has more friends there now than i do….but if i was not with my irish husband i would not stay here……as i would be very alone……

sorry just had to get that off my chest about uk as if u ask any of my hubbies family that have met my family or visited where i am from they cant beleive how welcoming people are….and yes people do say hello & make eye contact…even if they are strangers….

Hi Mary…yes looking forward to seeing you again soon!! hope all well with you???

Bookwitch

Can’t stand people being so rude and small minded that they snub you because you are a blow-in or from dublin it really gets me rattled, what’s their problem and how anyone can ignore a toddler saying hiya or waving. A word and a friendly wave like manners cost nothing some people need to cheer up there are too many dour faced old biddies and yes many of them are old i’ve noticed that too. Dogs should be on a leash no dog is totally safe and they should not be allowed to jump up on children, they should be controlled. Lax owners should be reprimanded. I might not be from here but my children are and I will damn well speak out for them as needed girls I advise you all to do the same. Rant over.

Moonflower

well said Bookwitch!!

MaryE

Hi there,I am a blow in too, although been here almost eight years now.

The way i have met people in my estate is through the residents association. I have made a few friends through it over the years, you just know who you click with, but the reason we made friends is only because i invited them to meet up outside of the meetings, Like we might go out for our tea or i’d call over for a coffee or if something is on in town, i’d see if any of them wanted to go. You have to make a effort to make friends & cant expect them to come calling.

I also chat to other parents on the green when i bring ds there to play, some want to talk & others dont but i dot take it personally, and have actually arranged a few play dates for ds through chatting on the green. I’d then invite them to call over to the house for an hour one day or we would meet at the playground.

I’m also a great believer in inviting people/ neighbours over for a bbq or casual dinner – it is great way to get to know people but you have to do the inviting first, if you are the new person/ blow in and you are the one who wants to make friends.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.