Health insurance… .what to do?

Home Forums National Chat Health insurance… .what to do?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Fabienne

I’m not sure but nearly 9 years ago, I was in ICU so was my son in NICU, no insurance that I recall and we did not pay a dime. And many blood test, 1 surgery was done.

Yes, if you ask for a private room and you’re a public patient, then you’ll pay.
    But if you you accecpt the conditions (no upgrade, no extra treatments….) it’s free.

2 years ago my son had a minor surgery (in and out same day, but still anesthiologist was working, surgeon….) done publickly (was refered by gp over 12 months before, was not in a hurry so I waited, did not want to use health insurance, was afraid premium will go up if I claim) and we did not get a bill.
    Then he got really sick and went in less than a week after.
    They asked if we had medical insurance. We gave us the info.
    Later we got letter from health insurance showing us the details of what they paid for us (around 10K for 15 days, 1 major surgery, 1 day in ICU). But it would have been free without insurance.
    It was life threatening, they took him in, treated the same no matter if we had or not insurance

In both cases, did not pay anything myself.
    Treatment done.

But if you don’t have insurance and want to see someone fast, that’s not possible. You can but you’ll pay for the whole lot.

My friend son was sick but not life threatening, he was in and out hosp to keep fiever down, blood test and all for nearly 2 years (I think).
    She did not pay (expect gp, antibiotics for home, quite often, so it adds up at the end of the year), but they knew he’ll need minor surgery to avoid having those recuring infections, treated by antibiotics after each visit at hospital. But because he was public seen the right consultant took over a year, and more to have the surgery done for free.
    At some stage she had enough of being in and out hosp and thought about going private. She did, paid consultant (even with insurance you’ll pay part of the consultant yourself) and say she’ll get a loan out to have the surgery done faster. With public system because infections were kind of under control with small hosp visits and antibiotics he had to wait for the surgery (long, long waiting list).
    But as a mum seen your child sick in and out hosp because have to wait for surgery it’s heart breaking. And her son was tired all the time.
    If it was life thretening he you’ll have been in surgery for free fast, otherwise you have to wait.
    At the end, the consultant she paid, realised that she did not have the money to pay for the surgery, so he pushed it for her son to have it done publickly fast (nice from the consultant to do it, but they can’t do it for everyone, and he must have been on a good day, and with budgets cuts, I don’t think it will happen again).
    Since he got the surgery (minor, if surgery can be minor) done, he did not have a single infection (over a year or more ago). And she said she she had insurance it would have saved her son from being so unwell for so long.

So if you can I would keep it. Waiting lists will be longer, and seing your child unwell just because public waiting list are long, when with insurance it can be done faster…

But if you can or can’t pay insurance you always can get treatment for free, but it’s a question of waiting list related to of importance of the condition.

Shop around for a cheaper cover.
    Fabienne (very long post again)

noeleenw

ring your healthcare provider and discuss all options and costs, i changed the policy i have with vhi and am saving 50 euro a month

Yvonne

Think it would be a better option to lower the policy rather than dropping it altogether or taking some of you off it.

We have VHI, its paid for by DH’s work, but he still has to pay BIK on it… so that cost still adds up to alot. We have discussed lowering the policy so that the BIK will be lower, as we have only used it twice since we have had it, and that for when I was pregnant.

Taylor5

yeah i have been looking at the lower option, think thats what we will do….. the lower option can save us a good bit, about 800 a year.

Maria30

When ds2 was in hospital last yr he had x-rays, blood tests done. He was given antibotics, nebuliser, steriods and inhalers. When we got the bill it was €150 which covered the whole lot. As far as I know they dont charge you for medication or tests just the bed and food.

Maybe you could look into an alternative such as http://www.hsf.ie. DH brought home the info on this a while ago but I still havent managed to have a good read through it.

Moonflower

all very interesting read..thanks fabienne for your detailed explaination…i am very green when it comes to all this & you just have to hope that will remain that way as its seems only way you find out for yourself is if unfortunately your little ones get sick…..

if we all opt out of private system you can only wonder how that will leave public system…so i do have a guilt attached that we dont pay for private cover but then as yet i suppose havent had to use it & some "medical card" holders would have more money than some who dont have them…

Jedt
    Keymaster

Moonflower you do pay towards the public system with your taxes!! Its because its in such a state so many people have private health insurance. I would love to live in a country where no one needs private health insurance, our health system is a mess and from my own experience, I found very little difference in the level of care at public and private levels. I do wonder what would happen if we opted out of private health insurance altogether…maybe then the HSE would have to examine the fact that 70% of all HSE spend is on wages!!!!! No wonder we are in trouble!! Talk about mismanagement of funds….

Taylor – did you look into getting GP card? According to a local TD I was speaking with; families whose income is under 84K can apply for this and if they get one, all their GP visits are covered and some dental visits and possibly some other stuff. (not sure about prescriptions)

This would allow you to go on a different option and cut your private healthcare costs.

Its an absolute disgrace that children are charged to see a GP, in many other countries in Europe this is not the case. This is something I ask TD’s about when they come knocking and in fairness, the GP card seems like a good option for families who would not qualify for medical cards. I think every child should have a medical card until the age of 18 and then if in college, it should be extended. Just my opinion…

hjs

Sod’s Law states that as soon as u didn’t have it, that’d be the first time in years that the need for it would arise… 🙁

Yes, shop around/haggle for a better deal. I know it not same thing, but principle same surely…I know loadsa people been ringing up Sky saying cancel it, I brassic, and plenty deals done…

Taylor5

I did that with sky last week and got 20% off the price for 6 months

Sabbi i didnt know that about the gp card… 84k cut off, that seems very high! I didnt even look into anything like that as dh would be a high earner, but it a few years since it was over 84k (what did we do with our money 🙄 )

Financial Companion
    Participant

As someone said, the moment someone lets cover like that go, that’s when something crops up! As someone that regularly discusses medical info with clients, I have seen many people in situations where they were forced to wait long periods for treatment that would have been almost instant if they had health insurance. I know some things are done free but it’s the uncertainty going forward. 2/3rds of all of our appointments these days are people looking at ways to reduce outgoings. There are some clever things that can be done, especially in the areas of life and serious illness cover plans, but one warning that also goes for health insurance, is not to cancel it until you have examined all options, you may not get cover again (without restrictions) or have to wait for a period for pre-existing ailments. Our family would have been lost in the last 3 or 4 years if we had let the cover go! Don’t forget the obvious money-savers as well like electricity, gas and phone providers, not to mention car and house insurance, check every year for those.

Fabienne

I heard on the radio, that even without changing health insurance provider or cover, all exactly the same, if you call and ask for the corporation (not sure) or compagnies rate you can save up to800 euro! per year
    no need to be a compagny, just need to call and ask for the compagnie rate.
    It was on newsstalk, saturday morning, maybe you could find info on their website.

Fabienne

EJ

I heard that too, Fabienne, there are commercial group rates that the insurance companies are actually obliged to sell to everyone, by law, be they commercial groups or a private person, but they dont quote them unless specifically asked for. I must get the finger out and take over looking after all these bits and pieces too.

Taylor5

i have heard a good few programmes on the Radio about how to save money and differnt schemes for gp’s etc…. not going to get rid but just cut back… cutting back to a lower option will save nearly 1k

Fabienne

Ifd you know a scheme to spend less at gp let me know.
    I very often don’t go because of the cost.

Fabienne

Taylor5

i THINK it was HSA… about 800 euro for a family of 4 and this pays full refunds on gp, dentist and consultant fees.
    Thinking of going for this and the lowest private health cover going… will listen to the show again to get the details

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.