First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Home Forums Weddings, Christenings, Communions, Confirmations etc First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

There is a bouncy castle company in Louth who do not charge extra for Communions so wanted to give them a mention – its SuperBounce Bouncy castles and the contact is Sean and he is on 086-2728333.

They still have availability for Communions if anyone is looking to book. I like that they do not charge extra when so many others do.

Jedt
    Keymaster

If you want to get your hair and/or make-up done on the Communion day, there are some very cost effective ways to do that.

Biofresh skincare does a deal where product is redeemable against make-up applictaions, so you can buy a product e.g foundation and you get your make-up done for free! They do a great job, I love getting my make-up done there. See http://www.biofreshskincare.ie/contact-us.html

House Of Colour does blowdrys from €15 and GHD curls from €25. They are lovely and they are great at upstyles and plaits too, so good for mammies and daughters. We are going there the morning of the communion to get ourhair done – my daughter and I – and its grand that it is so affordable. See http://houseofcolour.ie/

Jedt
    Keymaster

If you wanted to to something a little bit different, we think this is a good idea; an ice-cream bike & cart! Its €2 a head and you can pick 5 flavours of ice-cream. I’ve tasted it and its lovely and my brother is having it at his wedding in June so it would be nice for a Communion too. See: http://www.rockfieldicecream.ie/index.html

And another small thing you can get that would be fun for the kids, is a Communion Pinata. Ruth makes lovely ones and they ship nationwide, see here: http://pinataspinatas.com/products/firstcommunionstar

Squaremile

We have tweeted a great piece from the National Consumer Agency: FIRST COMMUNION

Start with a budget

This is a special day but don’t feel pressured to splash out beyond what you can afford to spend. Keep track of all of your spending in the lead-up to your child’s First Communion day to make sure you keep within your budget.

•First step is to work out how much you can afford to spend. Make a list of everything that you have to buy such as the outfit, accessories and shoes. Then decide how much you are going to spend on each item and stick to it.

•If you are using your credit card to pay for some of the costs, have a plan as to how you will repay the money. You can check out our credit card cost comparison – the interest on credit card purchases currently ranges from 13.6% to 22.7%, so it really pays to compare and know how much interest you are paying.

•Remember, if you do need to borrow money, different lenders charge different interest rates. For example, rates of moneylenders’ loans are typically higher than a bank or credit union. Never borrow from an illegal moneylender and make sure any moneylender you deal with is licensed by the Central Bank of Ireland. If you’re not sure, check out the Central Bank’s Registrar of Money Lenders.

•Start saving – it’s never too late. Even if you have not started saving for a First Communion this year, it’s not too late to start putting even a small amount of money aside. And if you have one coming up next year, now is a perfect time to start planning out how much you could save every month.

•Try to avoid borrowing money or using your credit card for any of the expenses, if you can. Remember, you will have other expenses such as back to school costs that you will also need to budget for later in the year, so don’t get into debt for just one day.

Planning your day
    •Check to see if a family member or friend who is celebrating on the same day would be interested in sharing the cost of a party or event with you.

•On booking a venue, if you need to pay a deposit, only pay a small amount if possible and use your visa or mastercard credit or debit card rather than paying cash. This may allow you to request a chargeback on your card if the company goes out of business or doesn’t provide the item or service.

•Most deposits are usually non-refundable so if you pay a deposit and then change your mind about the product or service, the supplier does not have to return your deposit.

•Maybe you have decided to hold a party at home. If so, consider sharing the event with other families whose childrenare also having a communion. This way you can all agree to bring something to the party like a starter, main or desert option. Agreeing in advance what people bring will help share the cost and the work.

•Use our money saving tips to help you save on your grocery shop. Being organised will save you money.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/groceries

•Now is a good time to watch out for deals, whether it is for food, drink, clothes or restaurants.

•If you are looking to buy a communion outfit, keep an eye out on second-hand clothes shops/charity shops, buy and sell websites and social media groups. Some supermarket chains have also started stocking communion outfits this year.

•Offer your friends, family, neighbours an outfit or accessories that you might have used for your child’s communion if they are in good condition.

•Now is the perfect time to teach your child about money and the importance of saving. A good starting point is to get your child to open a savings account with their communion money. Banks, credit unions and the Post Office offer kids’ savings accounts. Encourage your child to put a little aside regularly by setting them a goal to save for.

Source: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=101&a=1117

Anonymous
    Inactive

And here are some more tips from TV3’s Late Lunch Live, for anyone who has Communion this year:

You can see the Communion segment at around 36 mins in:

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/518/7807 … Lunch-Live

Keep an eye on the background and you’ll see our 2 year old trying to escape through the living room window!! 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

http://www.independent.ie/…/blessed-b … 57935.html

This is an article from Irish Independent this week which will give some ideas for Communions that won’t break the bank!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

If anyone fancies getting their make-up done for the communion, Biofresh skincare on Peter St in Drogheda are fab and when you get make-up done, it is redeemable against product so depending on what you buy, you could basically get it for free. They will be opening early on Communion days for makeup applications to make it easy for mums to get in and out early. I’ll be in there myself hopefully 😀

http://www.biofreshskincare.ie/

Jedt
    Keymaster

We booked some food from Relish for the afters at home. We will pick it up heated and ready to serve on the day at around 2pm.

We are having Lasagne, Spanish Chicken, Beef Bourgignon with mash and some salads and breads. We ordered the cake from them too, its a Victoris sponge with cream & jam and will have ‘Happy Communion Day’ on it and that’s only €24 so very happy with that!

munchin
    Participant

I read that sabbi as all the food was only communion to €24 😉 but you mean the cake – tried out the relish café and their food is yummy alright must keep in mind for next yr

libby1
    Participant

Nearly time Sabba

We have confirmation soon, i have ordered food from Orla in Artisan Stock well St, in Drogheda… We are coming home too, i got a great deal on wines in Tesco..
    My sil is getting my daughter here cake as a pressie, all my friends are doing desserts..
    I gave in and ordered a bouncy castle and we are having a chocolate founation.. (every week i have been buying bits for it)

Jedt
    Keymaster

I heard schools are releasing the dates for the 2015 Communions and Confirmations this month so it all starts again….the madness!!!!!

munchin
    Participant

we got our communion date a few weeks ago as did the other schools in the area 😉

chewieodie
    Participant

Second year in a row for us…… last year we had our son’s FHC and together with a friend of mine, we had a joint party for our boys who made theirs on the same day.

This year, it’s my daughter’s turn….. so I’ve been getting myself organised as it’s early May, and as a "baker" I can basically write May off being busy with communion cakes for everyone else….

I was investigating the whole "go to the hotel for a meal" option, and realistically, it isn’t viable for us financially…. so we have decided to just have a wee get together at home.

I went to Relish yesterday to have a chat to them about catering options, and I have to say, I am delighted with the choice of yummy stuff available to us… and more than anything, I like the idea of not having to do the cooking myself…. takes away the stress. Now I get to concentrate on the fun stuff instead….. I have such a girlie girl… so it’s princess all the way….. and I have so much I want to do for a dessert table…. ah, it’s not every day you get to have fun doing this kind of thing for your kids…. 😉 And in my case, it will be on a tight budget, but I love a challenge! 😉

munchin
    Participant

Enjoy chewie – we’re early may aswell and looking forward to it.
    My dd has made her first confession there 2 weeks agoand it was a really lovely ceremony – kids were so excited I can only begin to imagine what they’ll be like on the day itself.

I think we’re pretty organised – I’ve to get her shoes and underwear but everything else is either booked or in hand. We have 7 family members from Liverpool coming to stay so it’s going to be a busy busy house! BUT wouldn’t have it any other way (remind me I said that come may!)

Food – we have booked our local restaurant to bring food to the house
    I have her cake booked and my sister will do something too
    I think in total we’ll have 22 in the house including ourselves

what else do we need?????

chewieodie
    Participant

I’m the same munchin…. just shoes and undies…. 😉 I’ll be doing her hair, and it will just be a special day for the family…… Today I went out and got some bits and bobs to "pretty the place up a bit"…. for the party back here at home….

The cake…. she put her order in for that months ago with me, so I have to make sure that that meets her expectations! lol…

So… all told, I reckon it will be a fun, special day…. where friends and family are together, without all the stress…. (and without breaking the bank)…. I am REALLY liking the catering option…. so much more pocket friendly!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.