First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Home Forums Weddings, Christenings, Communions, Confirmations etc First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

We got the food in from Relish for our son and daughter’s communions and it was fab. It took so much of the stress off us. And you can get alot of food for a reasonable price. The portions are generous too, so you get a good amount of food for your money.

We have communion next year and think we’ll be doing the Relish option again.

For little girls, The Jewellery Tree have a beautiful collection of jewellery. We got our son and daughter a bracelet and they both still wear them now when we have a special occasion on. Start at 38 euro and its a good idea for a Grandparent or Godparent if they want to get the child something special – http://www.thejewellerytree.ie/Communio … irmations/

Pinatas Pinatas does lovely Communion Pinatas too and they are so reasonably priced and keep the kids happy for ages.

Happy organising girls – its such a special day and while it does take quite a bit of planning, it does not have to cost a fortune and can be really special and memorable on a budget.

Jedt
    Keymaster

How are all the communions mammies getting on with the planning??!!

munchin
    Participant

as far as i know i’ve everything sorted
    DD1 is dressed and very excited about it all
    Have food organised, bouncy castle (only thing she asked for) is booked.
    House is work in progress – not doing anything crazy just jobs that need doing but we’re making sure they’re done for next month iykwim
    We’ve family coming over from england to stay – need to make some space in my room for my girls, and in their room for visitors but i’m sure my visitors will take us as we are 😉

all in all i think we’re fairly prepared and looking forward to it – dd1 is practising all her prayers (she’s doing a payer of the faithfull) and songs at home i’m really looking forward to seeing her and her classmates on the day xo

lillian770

Planning is very important; otherwise this activity might break your bank. I think it is extremely important to buy pretty outfits, hair accessories and make sure everything is within the budget.

munchin
    Participant

can’t believe my dd1 is making her communion this weekend – she’s very excited and looking forward to it all – yesterday they went to mass and had a rehearsal after and got to taste the host (not blessed) and they have mass again in the morning followed by their last practise.

We’re literally having immediate family back to the house so it’s a small celebration iykwim – everything is in order (and if it’s not done now it won’t be done lol) I’m off tomorrow as we have some of my hubby’s family arriving from England – so last few bits in the morning but trying to keep everything as normal for my dd

Say a prayer the rain holds off – even for the church 😉

chewieodie
    Participant

Our communion was over the weekend… amidst the pouring rain…. but it didn’t put a damper on things at all… 😉 We only had a few friends and family back to the house, so there wasn’t any panic about being able to accommodate everyone inside. We had food from Relish (which was fab)… and we decorated the house for the lady of the moment….. it was a brilliant day…. 😉 I can honestly look back and say that I wouldn’t have changed a thing…. and the rain, although annoying, wasn’t a huge deal.
    May the sun shine down on you Munchin…. 😉 It’ll be fab, I’m sure! xx

mammycool
    Participant

This appears to be from last year but it is that time of the year again!!

My ds makes his communion this Saturday. I have a house full of relations, so doing the food myself.

I am making a couple of sheppards pies tomorrow. I also got a slow cooker and will set that for Saturday morning to cook a big pot of chicken paprika. The veg will be prepped tonight and tomorrow night. I am making two cheesecakes – strawberry and toblerone. Also, for my sins, my son wants me to make his cake. We are having a cola cake with chocolate buttercream filling, chocolate coating on top and I have ordered a chocolate cake topper from the Chocolate boutique.

All going well, or so I thought. Monday night, my son, in his wisdom, decided a bit of personal grooming was in order – so he shaved off his eyebrows. He then realised that was not a good idea and is now very upset. I am working on my skills with an eyebrow pencil – not good. I even considered hd brows!!!

Tuesday night, I saw a teddy abseiling past the kitchen window, on investigation, he waschecking on whether or not the teddy would reach the trampoline – before trying it himself.

Wednesday night – repeat of teddy escapades.

At this rate, the food will be forgotten and I will be either in an asylum or on the drink by Saturday!!!1

munchin
    Participant

oh mammycool I’m so sorry but I did laugh – you will look back and laugh too I’m sure – what possessed him – as for the teddy – holy cow!!!!!!!
    Fair play to you on organising the food – we have a local restaurant doing the food – we did it at home for both christenings (well my hubby did) but I found he literally spent the day in the kitchen so decided to get someone to do it this time – we’ll see how it works out.

Chewie delighted to hear your day went well at the weekend – I’m hoping I feel the same as you come Monday.

DD was in flying form at the weekend then woke crying on Tuesday morning with sore throat, headache, tummy ache and blocked nose – calpol etc and off to school, she was much better yesterday morning or so we though until we got a phone call at lunch time to go collect her bad tummy ache and headache
    Now this am she was in flying form and said she only had a little headache everything else was gone – fingers crossed that’s it now!

Jedt
    Keymaster

We’ve got a Communion and a Confirmation this year!! Getting organized now….don’t want any last minute panic on getting stuff!!!

Have got the dress for Communion (got dress, tiara, veil, bag, gloves all on sale at Alexanders Bridal in Parnell St Dublin for around 130 euro!. Excellent service, so helpful!) https://www.facebook.com/Alexandersbridal/

Getting some food from Relish to heat up at home: http://relishcafe.ie/meat-chicken-to-go/

Getting the Communion cake from the Fabulous Chewie, she is a superstar at baking fab cakes and its going to be chocolate biscuit inside, yummy: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … =3&theater

Getting hair done at home by Fiona from Curley Cuts on the morning of the Communion & Confirmation. Saves us so much hassles that we are getting it done here and Fiona is fab: https://www.facebook.com/Curley-Cuts-64 … 9/?fref=ts

Instead of a bouncy castle, we are getting a vintage ice cream bike. We had this before and the kids absolutely loved it. See: http://www.rockfieldicecream.ie/

We’ll have tea/coffees to start off and then some LIDL prosecco and a few glasses of wine later on that evening.

I’ll get my brother to bring his guitar and he’ll sing a few songs.

And that’s it – easy enough and not too expensive, I hope!!!!

munchin
    Participant

sounds like a great day Sabbi
    We too had our dd’s communion at home last yr and did pretty much as you said. We had family from England staying in the house so we actually went to the hairdressers just me and dd making her communion and it was lovely to get out of the mayhem – when we got home we literally went straight to my bedroom and got ready just me and her.
    We got our cake from Cake couture but my sister has since starting making and decorating chocolate biscuit cakes and they’re fab.
    We bought everything in Maynooth communion dresses – Antoinette is just brilliant and they have ranges to suit all pockets.
    We did have a bouncy castle as Dd is a November baby and has never had a bouncy castle so that’s what she wanted
    We got finger food from The Spire restaurant – he brought everything ready to be served – the food was delicious and he came back the next day to collected the trays.

I would definitely recommend to anyone with either communion or confirmation to get organised as early as possible and then you can sit back and enjoy the special day for your son or daughter!

alica

We used a bouncy castle company called Bounce Party for our communion in Dundalk. We got castles before but they were in bad repair. Bounce Party’s obstacle course was spotless and alot cheaper than other companies we priced. There website is http://www.bouncepartycastles.com

Jedt
    Keymaster

We are having http://www.Clayotic.ie for our daughters communion day. It’s dry clay and is great for keeping them entertained without any mess. clothes stay clean and the children make little fridge magnets etc from the clay. It’s brill, especially if the weather is bad and we need to stay indoors. Which is a strong possibility in April!!

It’s great for birthday parties too, Louise who runs Clayotic is very good.

Jedt
    Keymaster

For our sons confirmation a few weeks later we’re having http://www.rockfieldicecream.ie – all ages love this. Perfect for kids and teens and even the adults!

Yvonne

Love the idea of the clayotic! My two bought some and I had it catergorised as bad as playdoh, but its quite the opposite!

We had our daughters confirmation a few weeks ago and went out for a meal which was lovely and very hassle free!

Have DS for communion next year and as much as I would be tempted to have a meal out again, we will probably have it at home.. so will be keeping an eye here for ideas!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.