First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Home Forums Weddings, Christenings, Communions, Confirmations etc First Holy Communions – are you getting organised?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Our daughter is making her First Communion this May and I wanted to start a thread for anyone else who is organising a communion this year to swap ideas…

I got her dress a few months ago in the Monsoon sale, was 150, got it for 50. She picked it herself and is delighted with it. Now she just needs to get a cardigan, new shoes, medal and a little bag. Her 2 grannies and godmother want to buy her something, so they are going to get these accessories for her. Which is great for me, as it means all we had to get was the dress.

I am going to have family over for a little buffet at home after her communion. Nothing too fancy, getting some Lasagne, Salad, Beef Bourgignon & Mash from Relish, its so handy, they come in trays and you pop them in the oven and let everyone help themselves.

We did this for our sons communion 2 years ago and it was not expensive and thefood was delicious.

No major plans for anything else that day, I think its just about having family here and celebrating the day. :D

munchin
    Participant

Sabbi that’s exactly what I’d like to do next year for DD1’s communion. Her class is mixed with 2nd class so she’s talking about the communion a bit at the moment plus her cousin is also making his this year – I overheard them talking about his first confession at the weekend.
    I must remember Relish I’m always hearing good things about their food – which Relish have you ordered from?
    Great deal on her dress too – love Monson stuff and my family are like yours in that my mam & dad and my sisters will buy some part of her outfit for the day.

Think then the next day the 4 of us will go somewhere nice for our dinner as a treat and hopefully she’ll get another wear out of her dress 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

We promised to take her to West29 for a special treat with just us after the big day. Must let her wear her dress for that.

I was thinking of letting her wear it for my brothers wedding too. Its such a gorgeous dress.

I don’t understand people going way overboard with it – some of the communions I’ve been to have been crazy elaborate. we just want to keep it simple. 😀

We order from Relish in Southgate but you can order from the one at highlanes either. We picked up the food the night before our son’s communion and stuck it in the fridge and all we had to do was heat it when we got home. It was so easy. The beef bourgignon is really delicious. If you want to try it before you decide on it for an event, you can pick it up to go anyday by just calling in. I sometimes get it for us as a takeaway treat – so yum.

Jedt
    Keymaster

The Children’s Shop on West st has their communion range in now and also, the Mens shop on Shop st has suits for boys in stock too.

Some lovely looking suits & dresses in the windows and its nice to know you can get good stuff local. 😀

munchin
    Participant

my nephew told his mother he wants to wear a white suit 😆 his argument is quiet rational that if the girls are wearing white as a symbol or purity why can’t he wear white suit

DD isn’t until next year but yes must try out the Relish food beforehand – we’re definitely staying home and ideally I’d like for DH not to have to spend the time sweating in the kitchen – he insisted on doing it for our 2 christenings. I’m hoping that her aunt, uncle and grandfather from l’pool will come over but we’ll think about that nearer the time. I’m dying to see your dd’s dress Sabbi sounds lovely

Jedt
    Keymaster

He will be like a little John Travolta munchin!!

I am working on an article about First Holy Communion for the Irish Independent and if anyone would like to give their opinions on how much is appropriate to spend please fire them over…

all opinions most welcome, thanks! 😀

munchin
    Participant

re cost I think at the end of the day it’s all about staying within your means and to remember it’s not about How you’re celebrating but what you’re celebrating. 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

We ordered a lovely bracelet and earrings for our daughter for her Communion day from The Jewellery Tree.

They are lovely and can be personalised with the child’s name and birthstone – though we are leaving the stones clear and having pearls as I think that looks better for a Communion.

My mother got one for our son when he made his communion 2 years ago and he still wears it now, the boys one has black pearls a little cross on it.

This would be a nice gift idea from a grandparent to a child or for a Godchild. Here is the range here: http://www.thejewellerytree.ie/Communio … irmations/

Jedt
    Keymaster

Dunnes Stores have some gorgeous Paul Costello dresses for Communion this year and they range in price from 55-65 euro.

They have lots of accessories too and are very well priced.

here is the link: http://www.dunnesstores.com/feature_2/k … lters=true

Jedt
    Keymaster

This could be nice for a mammy on the day:
    http://eu.riverisland.com/women/coats– … ket-648978
    Over this:
    http://eu.riverisland.com/women/dresses … ess-646512

This is my kind of style and not too expensive.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Went Communion shopping Saturday. Had already gotten our daughters dress in Drogheda & also got some of her accessories in the Children’s Shop on West St, so only had a few other bits to get.

Most of shops are now low on stock now so ended up heading to some weird shops…..including my Nanny’s favourite ‘Guiney’s’ for her veil. It was a case of, could not find it anywhere else because all theothers were snow white and we needed a cream or ivory one. Despite the madness of that shop, found the perfect one for a tenner. Happy days 😀

Guineys has dresses too for 29.99 – worth a look maybe?

Have to say, Dunnes in Henry st has a fab range of Communion wear for boys and girls. Very well priced too. Got her shoes there for 20 quid.

We went into Freckles shop (they only sell Communion & Christening gear) on the corner of Abbey st and Liffey st and was not at all impressed. The dresses and accessories were really expensive and the staff were unhelpful and snooty. Will not go back there again. Rip off and there was a bit of a damp smell inthe shop too. I could not wait to get out of it.

Nearly all done now!! Only a parasol to get and she is not overly bothered if we don’t get it. She is a such a pleasant child, not really demanding. Her sister who is making it in 2 years time will be another kettle of fish altogether – she has already picked out a tiara in Field’s! So help me!!!

munchin
    Participant

gosh that’s good info to have that stocks are low – I would have only been thinking of starting now (next yr) so will get my ass in gear after Christmas so!
    lol at dd2 picking out her tiara
    my mother actually brought me in some clips for dd1 for ehhhhhhhh next yr! says she’s picking up a few bits so we have options 😆 😆 guess my mother will be involved!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Good idea to keep the Grannies onside munchin! We need them when it comes to buying all the stuff!!

On Saturday my mum bought my daughter her shoes, my sister (her godmother) bought her cardigan, my granny bought her underwear and my aunt bought her veil. It was a great help to me financially but more importantly, my daughter loved the attention of everyone buying her stuff and also, loved that none of her siblings were with us. It was a real treat and is a memory I hope she keeps with her.

😀

munchin
    Participant

sounds like a lovely day Sabbi
    we did similar for my nephew and niece re buying things for their big day but didn’t go shopping with them. I bought my niece her prayer book, bag and parsol and took her out to lunch (just us) to give them to her – hope she remembers it as we don’t get to do it too often 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

For anyone with a boy to get ready, have to give Menswear on Shop St in Drogheda a mention; Kieran has lovely suits in there for communion boys from €50. Some of them are so cute. Just goes to show, you can buy local and not spend a fortune 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.