Birthday gifts… how much????

Home Forums National Chat Birthday gifts… how much????

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    babygirls

Arrogant F***er they have no recission in there house if he giving out about a voucher. He is lucky you got the child anything or even went to the party. Remember him or next year and get the most noisest pressie you can fnd, I know thats what I would do.

I have to say i do feel for the children born around Christmas cos they won’t get a birthday pressie it will be combined with Christmas I don’t think thats fair as everyone else gets a seperate birthday and christmas pressie. My daughter was born 3 days before christmas and I would be delighted with a €10 voucher or a book just done combine the pressies…

Remember get the Fu**er back next year as much noise as possible ………….

Taylor5

Great idea….. going to write in the Diary "tin whistle" 😆 😆 😆 😆

pookie2

What a git!! Pay no attention to him.

When I have a birthday party, I’m not looking to make a profit. I’m not even looking to break even. A E10 Dunnes / Smyths / Argos / book voucher would be great. Fair enough, kids of a certain age like to open things but Fireman Sam undies could be appreciated as much as some whopping big pressie. Also, you can get lovely pressies for E10 if you take the trouble to know the child. (Argos has some lovely toys for under a tenner at the minute – for 18mths up police or fire engine for E8.95, dolls etc….)

I wouldn’t expect any adult friend of mine to give my child a birthday present full stop – & I wouldn’t be put out if a child at a party (which I keep to about 10 in total) didn’t bring a pressie. That’s not why I invited them in the first place. Sometimes people don’t have the time or the money to get a pressie.

My son’s birthdayis in early Jan & most of his pressies have been quietly put away & he hasn’t even noticed. They’ll resurface later when it’s wet & he’s grumpy!!

I’m from a big family & as the number of our offspring increased, my mother put her foot down. For birthdays grandchildren get E20 Dunnes vouchers. Aunties & uncles are encouraged to be VERY moderate, as the amount of cash being spent on birthday / Christmas pressies etc was putting serious pressure on some family members.

At Christmas names are drawn out of a hat. Each family get a different family to buy a pressie for. The max amount used to be E150, now reduced to E100. Anything after that is generally discouraged & STRICTLY token stuff (ie very small for kid to open – Heatons hat & gloves, Penny nightie etc., dinky-type car)

One aunt (nun) gets a voucher to which each family contributes E10 or E20 & 101 year old gran gets one combined pressie as well.

In short, excluding Santa, no one should have to part with more than E125 in total family outlay (14 adults & 7 children). We’re not being tight, just sensible – at least we think so…..

Yeah, get him a pressie to remind him to have manners. Something with no volume control, no off switch & a very longlife battery!

babygirls

We do the same in our household on my side we have put names in a hat for the last few years and our limit is €50 and thats with the adults (6) there are 2 grandchildren and they get something small I try and make sure not alot of money is spent. On my husbands side we started doing the same this year (with children only 7 grankids) and the limit is the same. It works perfectly. Every year the kids walked out with black sacks full of toys which is mental. My husbands side is quite big. My mother in laws birthday is the 23 dec and we have to get her a birthday and christmas pressie which i think is only right. she gets the same thing every year for both 200cigs for her birthday and i make up a hamper of her favourite deodrants for christmas.

The loudest tin whistle you can get…….

chickpea

fecking nothing next yr….the cheek of the imbosille…
    i know my sister would have gotten up and pulled said father aside..(id die though, im too soft)wait til ur kids birthday and see wat they give and maybe even hand it back….make a point of makin some comment.
    its not bout the gifts its about the friends turning up. i know my neice doesnt even look at the gifts..but her face says it all when shes playing with her friends.
    same thing on our family for xmas and i have the in laws doing it too..50 euro max…..and i even stopped birthday pressies with my own siblings last yr as none of us can afford it..we are all late nov bdays, too close to xmas and it suits us all…
    oh id be raging with that dad…how bloody dare he. the cheek…
    TIN WHISLTE, TIN WHISTLE OR A BIG TANBORINE… 👿 👿 👿

Financial Companion
    Participant

Some people are completely outside normal levels of manners and decency!! Sounds like the kind of d*** head that arranges the party, not for the children’s entertainement but to just make!! It would have been rude 4 years ago, but these days it would be unbelieveably stupid and ignorant to say something like that! Pookie, I think your way of pooling and limiting and the cris kindle is the way forward, it takes pressure off. A friend of mine was discussing recently about the trend that had started with 13-16 year olds of bringing a load of their friends for a meal (chinese and such) and including drinks it was coming to over €15 a head with as many as 20 friends! He was the first to speak up and tell his child to tell the friends, if they wanted to come for a meal, not to buy her a present and contribute €10 towards the meal. A few parents actually thanked him for speaking up, as they were dreading when it came around to them! There’s still an element of being embarrassed into spending money that can not be afforded. It is starting to diminish though. Yep, chemistry set to make stink bombs sounds good to me Taylor! 😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

I only cut back this year as the amount of parties have gone through the roof since starting school…. since september we have had 7 Birthday parties!!! I did always go for around 20e and 25 or 30 for my nephews…. but with the amount of parties i said i was going to start as i mean to go on, couldnt give one 20e in October and cut to 10e in Dec…. it wasnt an easy choice to make but i had to make it.
    i was going to cut to 15e as that the price they charge in the play barns, but the voucher isnt to cover the cost to go towards a bigger better gift if pooled with other vouchers ie used to buy 1 game rather the a few toys….
    My sister said she went out and picked up gifts in the sales for "the school" parties and she gives vouchers or cash to the close friends

TBH i wouldnt invite your mans kids to my party, as i said I dont really know them or their kids, think they just invited ALL the kids, think there must have been 30 kids….. now if they all gave 10e voucher that would have "gone far!"

babygirls

oh seriously every time i think of that p***k my blood boils. The amount of words that are coming to me i couldn’t type cos i’d get kicked off mumstown and its great here so much nicer than facebook…

chickpea

hey taylor

was just tellin my dh bout that rude man….he said to give you this very good piece of advice "go up to smyths and but a light saber and shove it up his hole"…….lol 😀 😀 😀

Taylor5

hey taylor

was just tellin my dh bout that rude man….he said to give you this very good piece of advice "go up to smyths and but a light saber and shove it up his hole"…….lol 😀 😀 😀

Now there is an idea 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well least you got the child a present…..there are people out there who always say ‘oh, I’ll get him a present, just forgot’. Don’t mind that but I do mind when they ALWAYS say it to the same child every birthday and NEVER ever buy a present and have no intention of either. Why say it? Not a money issue, they are not short…just attitude.

I say €10 plenty. I get my older girls friends presents at the sales in January, stock up the press. Makes it cheaper and so much handier….and the friends get half decent presents. 🙂

For younger kids I keep it simple. I still like jigsaws, books etc. as they can be used by any child. Other things I get are play dough, uno cards are another favourite that many kids don’t have but I know mine love the game, art/craft items from Tesco put together, new pencil case, pencils etc. I hate cheap crap when it comes into my house so won’t buy it either for presents.

Taylor5

Still laughing about the light saber 😆 😆 😆 😆

Mummy your right tesco do great stuff… always pick up bits for my 2 when up there

amrie1

Hey there my sister chickpea was telling me about this guy seriously is he for real I would have told him what for and taken the voucher back off him ungrateful yolk. Children don’t even care who gets them what all they care about is having fun on there birthday. Seriously something that makes alot of noise next year,that could be put somewhere where the sun don’t shine!!

Hates Idiots..

chickpea

yeah and the light saber will have his bits glow in the dark….

amrie1

yeah and the light saber will have his bits glow in the dark….

lol……

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.