The Season of Goodwill….

Home Forums Louth Chat The Season of Goodwill….

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

Hi all,

Sunshineorla, that website http://www.volunteer.ie is great. Thanks for that. Im certainly going to pass it on to anyone who i think may be interested. Good for you, going to visit that elderly lady once a week, im sure it means a lot to her. I saw on it, that drogheda womens refuge are looking for people to help wrap presents for christmas – now thats something any of us could do, if we had a few spare hours??

Moonflower, those calenders look so cute, defo going to buy a couple as christmas gifts. I go to the gym beside allpets, so will pick them up there. would also like to get some christmas cards, where can i purchase them, i looked on the http://www.dar.ie website but couldnt see any cards for sale could i buy them in allpets too?

Sabbi, i would invite my neighbour but she is not really into kids (not in a bad way, just past that stage in her life), so i dont think it would be her type of thing. But dont worry, ive invited two other mums – i should be on commission -lol ISPCC is certainly something i would like to get involved with in the future, ive looked into it before but just dont have enough time at present.

Yeah, you are right Sabbi & Taylor – its not just about giving to the less well off, its about being kind & friendly to others. Everyone can be so stressed at times, a kind friendly word or smile can make all the difference to someones day.

A girl i know in my estate heating broke down yesterday, still hadnt been fixed today, so this evening i wrapped myself & ds up and pushed him in his buggy through the snow down to her house with a electric heater. She was thrilled, she was dreading another night in a cold house. I felt good too for doing it, so it was a win, win situation. Although we had to walk home in a snow blizzard, ds started crying but we got home safe and sound and he was grand.

take care of yourselves in this weather.

MaryE

Something small we could all do:

Just saw this on Drogheda Homeless Aid http://www.dha.ie – Christmas food apeal:

Due to decreased Government funding and increased demand for our services, we are finding it difficult to sustain our food services. We currently provide over 1,000 meals every week for our residents, resettled residents and for people who are living in poverty. Over the Christmas period, we will also be providingChristmas hampers to over 150 resettled residents and people living in poverty in the community.Therefore, we need your help so that we can help others.

We would be grateful if you could donate any food items from the list below:

Tins of tomatoes
    Tins of beans
    Pasta
    Pasta sauce
    Tins of peas
    Tins of soup
    Tins of salmon
    Biscuits
    Tins of fruit
    Jam
    Packets of soup
    Breakfast cereal
    Tea bags
    Jellies
    Coffee
    Tins of custard
    Crisps
    Sweets

Please drop your donation to:Drogheda Homeless Aid, 35 North Strand, Drogheda.We never close, so you can drop your donation in anytime that suits you.

scole1

they have their box also in all the dunnes….

to allwho give support thank you, for those who wish they coudl but can’t don’tbe worrying a kind thought or well wish is worth just as much…

Taylor5

Could you buy stuff in Aldi and drop into Dunnes? you could get 3 tins of beans in Aldi for what you’d pay for one brand name in Dunnes….

scole1

i’m sure you could…food is food….

Waffy1

An odd question I know but just want to see if anyone else feels the same way. There is a lot of collections going on at the moment for the Hanly centre around town…. at Scotch hall bridge & outside Pennys to name 2 but they don’t seem to have collection boxes? The money is just put on the table…Personally I prefer to put money into a sealed collection box & havn’t donated to them because of this. Am i justified in my thinking??? I know these people are giving up their time to help a worthy cause but i’m just not comfortable with the way it’s been done.

Moonflower

i would agree…but i know with church gate collections donations can only be made on a table top not sure why..but maybe same rule applies here…but some of those table collectors selling scratchcards for charity seem very dodgy to me as well…

Maria30

Giving blood would be another idea. Stocks are running low as they had to cancel some clinics due to weather and if they dont get stocks up again then some elective surgeries might have to be cancelled.

Check http://www.giveblood.ie for clinics and times

EJ

My hubbie cleared out all his unwanted winter jackets and gave them to the Drogheda Homeless Aid during the week, he’s in workwear so he had tonnes and they’re all quality gear, and they’re not old, but they would really appreciate similar stuff I’m sure, if anyone had it to give.

Taylor5

Giving blood would be another idea. Stocks are running low as they had to cancel some clinics due to weather and if they dont get stocks up again then some elective surgeries might have to be cancelled.

Check http://www.giveblood.ie for clinics and times

Great idea….

scole1

never thought of that maria30…that’s a good one, ya never know we could need it one day….

we have organised a collection in our estate for homeless aid…

Maria30

Heard them on the radio and telly asking people to donate blood so I cant take the credit for it

We ve organised a collection for Homeless Aid among the family too

MaryE

The ISPCC is looking for Volunteers for both the Mentoring Service Meath & Childline Drogheda.

Volunteers interested in these services should be over 18, interested in helping young people and parents and have 4 hours a week to spare. Those interested in mentoring should have their own transportation and be available in the Meath area. No experience necessary, we train you.

Please Contact the ISPCC offices if you are in volunteering : Tel. 041-9833406 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 041-9833406 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Many thanks in advance.

Kyela Fanagan
    Regional Administrator

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.