shoppiing in Newy – any opinons on shopping across the borde

Home Forums Louth Chat shoppiing in Newy – any opinons on shopping across the borde

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    mammycool
    Participant

Hi ladies,

I would try TK Maxx for baby clothes – they are usually much cheaper and designer – without travelling North. There is a TK Maxx in Newry as well – short walk from the Buttercrane centre – go out the door beside Dunnes and head down the street. I bought vests in Dunnes in the Buttercrane – little or no difference in the price.

You could also shopping online – most of the big department stores have a website and will post – post varies depending on weight but would probably cost as much as petrol.

I would not be spending too much on newborn clothes. My DS went straight into 0 – 3 months – which lasted about 3 weeks or so and then he was into the 3 – 6 months. Pennys and Dunnes tend to have smaller sizes – newborn is up to 7lbs. Mothercare newborn is up to 10bls. My next baby is due in 6 1/2 weeks and will be wearing the neutrals that I bought for the first baby.

littleleaf

Thanks for the replies everybody! I made the very silly mistake of giving away the DS1s cloths,baby toys and pram etc that were all v expensive at the time as I didnt think we were going to be able to have another one! 😳 so I gave them to friends and family who have also passed them on. I have everything now except cloths.

scole1

hit’s tough when you’ve just had a baby and have to start all over…..i have one ds who’s 3 i have all his clothes, will be finding out fingers crossed on march 7th what i’m having if it’s a girl i’ll pass on stuff….sorry not right now but means you’ll have more for later so leave it with me…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Al the talk about job losses……those people working in Newry won’t be out of work…..they were apologising in Sainsburys for the long queues at checkouts but that all checkouts were open and they were dealing with people as fast as possible. So people have some money, just not spending it in Drogheda so much……..the government can give out all they like but people are talking with their cars so to speak and heading North still………its a pity but can we really blame people for shopping around for value.!

libby1
    Participant

My parents went up the North shopping this weekend, couldn’t believe how expensive everything has got, they went to Lisburn.

Meat & Fruit & Vegetable same as down here… Alcohol they brought Litre of Vodak for £11:00 at Christmas now £16:99.

Yvonne

I’m very surprised they found it expensive really.

I done some shopping in Tesco yesterday, just didn’t have the time to go up the North, never again!!! I spent €92 and only had 4 bags… I’ve spent less in Newry and had a full trolley of stuff! 😈

mammycool
    Participant

I see there is talk about putting price controls in place down here – that should hopefully bring the prices down. It is a sad state when it has to be enforced on the retailers – though they claim it is the wholesalers selling to them at a higher price. They will just have to get tough or loose their customers!

Taylor5

Im half thinking of going North (my dad would turn in his grave to see money leaving the irish economy)
    I did weekly shop in Tesco on Saturday trolly was only half full (got 2 tins of baby food, large toilet roll, toilet brush, and a handfull of cleaning bits)….. It came to 198euro 😯 The I went to the butchers this am and spent 35 for the weeks meat

I might get dh to drive up some weekend and give it a try

scole1

yeah go on….instead of getting me to be your personal shopper ….lol….must say we go to spurcefield and find it great…next trip i make is ref baby stuff….gonna stock up…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Talking of butchers and value for money……Brendan Moore butcher on Narrow West Street has great deals…….3 big chicken breasts (about 1.5lb weight) for €5, know even Aldi is much dearer for their chicken breasts and this is from a butcher!
    5 pork chops for €5 and lots more great saver deals. I love meat from a real butcher – you can get the exact quantity you want especially in rashers, sausages etc. and get a large or small cut of meat. Especially with mince, at least you can see what he is mincing.

noeleenw

i really think tesco have put their prices up recently they are so dear … all the other supermarkets are doing great deals .. tesco do frig all and i am refusing to shop there anymore 🙄

Yvonne

Taylor, you definitely should go up, you would see a big difference!
    Tesco do seem to have got more expensive. The offers they had on were rubbish.
    The deoderant DH was marked as half price but still went through at 3.69!!! Its only £1.79 in the north….
    Babybel has a huge difference, its €5.39 for the 12 pack in Tesco, and its only £2.80 in the north…..

munchin
    Participant

was actually going to post to ask where is best to go up north?
    i’m planning on heading up towards end of month (like scole stock up on baby stuff etc)
    Have to say i’ve tried to keep everything local etc etc but the purse strings are getting tighter and tighter so i’m gonna give it a go

scole1

munchin seriously the best as there’s more of a selection in Sainsbury’s is the one in Sprucefield (lisburn) about 25mins from newry roundabout, so instead of turning right go straight through and follow signs saying bambridge/belfast…..then eventually you’ll come to sainsbury’s you can’t miss it….there’s also in the retail park a Toys’R’Us and there’s a babies’r’us in it so regards baby stuff you’ll get there….

But chck price of nappies sometimes not much of a saving…but defo on formula, but can’t get that until babs is born…they do nappy bags sainsbury’s basics, but gripewater, creams, wipes etc cheaper…..and if ya wanted to go to boots etc or mother care then best to go to Newry itself….the Quays and Buttercrane…..the good thing about Sprucefield is Sainbury’s opens til 10during the week….not sure about Sat or Sun…..so you could go early and do both Newry and then Grocery Shop in Lisburn as there’s usually more on the shelves….

HTH

munchin
    Participant

thanks scole – i’m lucky in that i have everything from E bar her bouncer – so it’s mainly the toiletries nappies etc – going to have my own hospital bag list sorted etc etc my hubby is terrible for having full freezer so we’re wokring on that etc over next 2 weeks and will head up at end of month – well thats the plan! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.