Scouts!

Home Forums National Chat Scouts!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

Hi looking to join my ds1 in the Scouts, he isnt into sports (lazy git) he is big and clumsy, we swim but he doesnt want swimming lessons he just like to "learn" his own way.
    I was going to join him in dancing but with two left feet and being big dont think this would suit him, it was just me who wanted to join him iykwim

So the Scouts seems like a good idea, dont know where to start or where to look in the local area
    Would anyone have the numbers for local scouts, pm if you dont want to post up

chickpea

hey taylor

i know the scouts den for st marys parish indrogheda is on the dublin road beside inteflora….not sure when they are on but you could try asking one of the teachers as im sure they have all the numbers…i used to be a leader in the scouts yrs back, think it was just to check out the male leaders lol….but it used to be real fun…..

Taylor5

found their number on google, will ring on monday…. Thanks

libby1
    Participant

St Marys scouts doesn’t exist – Its Olivers Scouts you could go to,,,

http://www.droghedascouts.org – you can join up on website – my ds is in this group… He is off to Cambridge for a week in July – he is 12

Best of luck

They have their own hall near Eurospar

Taylor5

I found oliver scouts earlier i sent an email, so im sure will get a reply soon…. he is only 5.5 so its more the Beavers or Cubs that i’d be intrested, so no trips away for him for a few years 😆 😆 😆

Im hearing there is a waiting list for 2 years for the Scouts!! Do you know if this is true?

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes, waiting list is long. My son ( he is 10) is in Oliver scouts and some of my friends is on the waiting list for while…. 🙄

Missy Moo

DS is in the Beavers. The website says 6-8 years but I think that has been changed to 7-9 years.

The waiting list is about 2 years. In the beavers, they do 2-3 sleepovers in the scout centre during the year along with one overnight camping trip. Last year it was in the scout centre in Larch Hill (Dublin mountains) so the trips start straight away.

I’d get your DS’s name down asap

HTH
    MM

Jedt
    Keymaster

this is a brilliant thing to be in, will teach him loads of activities and skills. I was a girl guide for years and it was brilliant and then I went on to be a scout leader, its a great thing to be part of.

Taylor5

Yeah was a leader myself many many moons ago…. spent many night up in Larch Hill, when i was a child i only lived down the road from it, my uncle was the grounds man there

Moonflower

maybe it needs more of us to volunteer to be leaders then perhaps we can get waiting list down as they can set up another group…there were several packs of brownies, guides & scouts in my home town so waiting list was never too long….

Taylor5

That true if they had more leaders the lists would be shorter

Moonflower

takes a lot of commitment though i suppose..i am tempted as my family in uk have always been involved in scouts etc but i know from them the hard work involved…be great though to get it set up….a group out by coast would be well supported i am sure….

Taylor5

Thats what i was thinking….. such a large area!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I was a leader before I got married and had kids so not sure if I would go back to it now but maybe would when my kids are a bit older.

The leader of our scouts group was a mum of 6 whose kids were all in their teens and she managed it grand – looking back on it and thinking how she juggled everything, she is actually a bit of a wonder woman!!

Taylor5

They always are…. im deffo not a wonderwoman, cant cope as it is!!! lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.