Run Fat B*tch Run….

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Run Fat B*tch Run….

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done Sabbi & lellykelly,i can see that you are both way ahead of me in the running.

I am only on week 2 of the irish times task & today i did the 3 minute run followed by a 2 minute walk- both repeated 4 times so 20 minutes in total.i felt so proud of myself as last week it was only a minute run so i was amazed i ran for 3 minutes non stop….as you can see im still at the baby steps stage but i am going to really try to finish this 8 week challenge & if i achieved it it says you will be able to run 30 minutes non stop.

lellykelly

Haileysmam, that’s brilliant! Well done, to see such an improvement in one week is fantastic. I started running with a programme like the Irish times one, it was with weightwatchers last year and my mam was doing it. I could see her flying along in no time and it was something i had always wanted to do so i just started one day…..point is those programmes do work, sometimes i think im getting nowhere but when you look back on where came from and how started off, its impressive!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Haileysmam – if you hadn’t started this thread, I would not be reading this book and I would not have ran 4km Monday & Wednesday this week (well, tbh I only an about 70% of it but still, I am happy with that!!)

You got me interested in this book and I love it and it is really spurring me on.

I had been doing some jogging/walking with baby in the past year but I was doing it on footpaths and I was not really measuring how much I was doing. It was still good exercise but not really focused.

But the book has made me look at things another way and now I am out running on my own, along the beach and really enjoying it. The sand is softer on my joints, the scenery is better and Iknow how much I am doing.

You have really inspired me and some of the other mums with this thread and the app and book and when I am pulling up the zip on the pair of jeans that currently don’t fit me – the ones I want to wear so badly – I’ll be thankful to you for starting this thread and helping me get into them!

Also, you should give yourself a big pat on the back. Its January and this is the easiest time of the year to stay inside with a cuppa and biscuit and the fire on but you are putting on your runners and getting out there. You are braving the elements and that in itself is an achievement. Imagine when Hailey is a bit bigger, running around the park with her and not getting out of breath and being able to keep up with her – thoughts like that keep me going too because my children seem to constantly running off on me and I need to be able to keep up with them without keeling over 🙄

In a few weeks we’ll all be flying along!!!! Keep it up girls!!! 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Sabbi & LellyKelly for your very kind words 😀 they really cheered me up.

So Lets keep on running….we will be as fit as fleas in no time & fitting into all the clothes in our wardrobes 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

Yes indeed – those jeans are my goal for Mother’s day!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Went for a run on the beach with my 8 year old daughter today. She has been asking me for a few weeks to take her with me and I decided I would bring her today. I did a good 4km yesterday and was not planning much today so I thought we would just saunter up the beach and that I would have to go slow for her.

Er, not a chance. She ran along without breaking a sweat and I had to ask her to slow down!! She is as fit as a fiddle. I sometimes forget how easy it is for kids to run around.

As we were running she said she was glad to be out running with me because she wants to be fit and she sometimes thinks she is a little bit fat. I was so shocked – she is not even 9 and she is talking like that.

Its definitely not coming from here, I do my best to give my kids a healthy body image and explain to them its about being fit and not skinny. We don’t use the fat word in our house.

In my mind, skinny does not mean healthy. I am happier as a size 12 and healthy, than a size 8 and not strong.

I just could not believe she would think something like that but I suppose being out exercising with me without the distraction of any of the other kids or the crazy noise level in our house, gave her the chance to say it to me.

I explained to her that she is perfect the way she is- and she really is – she has a good strong body shape and not a pick of excess weight on her. I am glad I know she was thinking this now so we can keep an eye on her about it and make sure it does not become an issue in her head.

Raising girls – not easy at all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

8 seems very young to be thinking about weight alright, at least she said it to you & you can come back to the subject in the future with you. i don’t think I thought about my weight till maybe 14-15 years old, things certainly seem to happen younger for kids these days.

My running has gone a bit off track the past 4 daysas I got a really poxy flu bug & it completely floored me, Im going to get back to it tomorrow.

lellykelly

Oh god sabbi don’t say that. I dread the day my daughter mentions anything like that and i think they are about the same age. They just grow up way too quickly and even being in that mindset brings with it a whole load of unnecessary pressure.

munchin
    Participant

funny we’ve already had it E1 – just a little she mentioned one day that her tummy was fat – I explained that she’s fit & healthy, she eats very healthy food and that she’s always out running about and is very active – being healthy is what’s important not what size you are – I explained that it’s one of the reasons why we limit computer/tv time so that they are more active. She seems to have taken everything I said on board (for once) and I’d hear her now and again turning of the tv saying it’s time to move around to E2 😉
    it’s good though that it’s out there sabbi and openly being discussed rather than her fretting aboutit herself 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

My daughter was not upset when she said it, it was like she was stating a fact. I was stunned but tried not to over react to it (even though I was floored!)

I was casual about it and explained to her she is fit and healthy and not at all fat. I think if I had reacted in a big way, it would be giving more importance to it and she would know its a big deal to think like that.

I am just glad she said it to me and I can work on making sure she knows she is perfectly proportioned.

We did have an issue a couple of years ago where a girl on our road kept calling our daughter fat and we tried to play it down and told he to ignore it because it is not true but maybe this is the kind of things girls are saying in school and out playing etc.

it is worrying that this thought would even be in her head but the best we can do is lead by example, so if we are out running and they come with us then that’s great. it will give then a healthy way of life as the norm.

lellykelly

I never thought of it like that munchin that at least its aired and can be dealt with. I suppose i just hate the thought of her even being aware of that type of concept so young. I too had brought my daughter out running a few times, she ran the golden sands 1km in august and flew home, she was delighted with herself. I got her some running gear at christmas and want to start going back out with her when the evenings are brighter and im running again at home. I thought it was a great way for us to spend time together but I also really want her to not be daunted by exercise or running, i wanted it to be a part of her life so that it will be easier to maintain it as a habit when all the other activity starts to drop off as she gets older

munchin
    Participant

yeah lellykelly there’s not a pick on my two although e2 is a stockier build than E1 – E1 is only 7 and I’ve always had to buy trousers/skirts with adjustable waists and pull them well in. I was really surprised when she said it and reckon it was something she picked up either on the TV or in school. My 4.5yr old is doing opposites in monstessori and loves when she comes up with one herself – she was "helping" me to my DVD this morning and came out with " oh mammy I’ve another one – slim V overweight" 😆 😆 I was glad she didn’t say fat but I don’t recall teaching her "overweight". They see me doing me DVD and we all eat quiet healthy. They both come on walks with me at the weekend though the 4yr old is on her scooter – they both did a 5km with me in Phoniex park both last October and the year before. They learn a lot about healthy eating etc in school (well my 7yr old has) and are a lot more aware than I would have been at 4 & 7.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I would often go for walks with my mam now and we would work up a great sweat over 5 or 6km but when I was a child, we would never have gone walking or running together for exercise. Even though my mam used to run by herself, it did not rub off on us.

Now that I am older and have my own children, I want to teach them that exercise is a part of normal life, not something you need to squeeze in and complain about.

I wish I had done more when I was a teenager and carried it through into my 20’s. I was great as a kid but once I hit my teens all the activities I was in tapered off and I got a bit lazy and there was a slow decline into my 20’s when I was inconsistent with exercising.

I feel better when I am active and plan to stay like this forever and hopefully can lead my children in the same way.

Go Mammies 😀

munchin
    Participant

I danced pretty much through my 20’s and it was only when I stopped dancing and moved out of home at roughly the same time I started putting on weight. But yes I enjoy the time with the kids when we do get out walking and I think they enjoy it too 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I have a real excuse for my absence from running for the past few weeks, I got a terrible does of flu & then a respiratory infection on top of it so running has beenout of the question but I am planning to start again on sunday. the irish times 8 week run says if you stop for any reason when you go to pick it up again start at the last week you completed so that’s my plan.

Hows everyone else doing?.i’d say that the rain & bad weather has hampered people getting out running this past few weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.