People not nice anymore…

Home Forums National Chat People not nice anymore…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

I’ve noticed on this pregnancy that people are much ruder than they used to be. From what I’ve seen, less people stand aside or open doors for pregnant women, compared to when I was first pregnant 8 years ago.

Even on buses and trains, people do not offer their seat to heavily pregnant women. I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman if I was not pregnant myself but the last time I was on a train there were 2 heavily pregnant women standing I was stunned that no-one had the decency to offer them a seat.

Maybe I’m being over sensitive but is it alot to expect people to be courteous to someone who is carrying a baby?

Don’t get me wrong, pregnancy is not an illness and it was my choice to have this baby and while I don’t think mums-to-be need the red carpet treatment where ever they go – a little consideration would be nice.

is that too much to expect??

Maman1

It is definitely not too much to ask… But people just don’t seem to care anymore. People are selfish and ignorant.
    That’s what I think anyway.
    I was lucky enough to be so big that people would comment on it and be nice, generally, but I can definitely admit that caring people are rare…
    It’s a shame but unfortunately it’s our society. We just have to be better!!

my friend who is 9 month pregnant had an experience month she was in a restaurant with her hubby and they were just leaving she went outside for a bit of air when she was going out the door a fella slammed the door on her back and she fell not one outside would help her up her hubby had to run out and help her there was 6 people outside i could not believe the rudness of some people its unreal

ArtyMum

I think it’s turning into an ‘all about me’ world now, and thats all ppl care about. Even years ago, over 8 years now, when I was pregnant on DS, rarely did someone offer me a seat on the train. If I was having a bad day especially toward the end, I would ask a young person if they mind if I sat down for a bit as I wasn’t feeling great! lol. And I know, not an illness, and a chosen, but doesn’t mean pregnant woman don’t get very tired, and ill like I was on pregnancy 2! A bit of niceness and consideration goes a long long way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

even a simple thing like if I saw a pregnant woman waiting in a queue for toilets I would ask if she wanted to go ahead, same goes if someone has a little child dancing to go as well!

Pregnancy is not an illness but you can get so tired…I think its awful not to offer a seat on a bus/train to a pregnant lady.

The worst thing though has to be in the public ante-natal clinics themselves.On all my 5 children I saw men accompanying women (or sisters/mothers) who took the seats in the waiting area leaving a heavily pregnant woman standing????? Hello, its the waiting area for ‘pregnant’ women! So rude. There is one brill nurse who asks the ‘gentlemen’ to maybe give up their seats to the ‘ladies’. 🙂

Jedt
    Keymaster

Mummy5 that drives my husband mad too – when at the hospital he would stand up and make sure to give his seat to a pregnant woman in a waiting room and then if the room got full and some men were still sitting down while a mum-to-be was waiting, he would say out loud to the whole room that the men should give up their seats. He has embarrassed quite a few guys into giving up their seats – but in fairness, they should have been decent and offered them up without having to be coerced!

Taylor5

Mummy5 i was about to post about that midwife, is she the lady in her 50’s with short dark hair? I was there one day and a few young girls had their mammies and their boyfriends with them….. the midwife roared if your not pregnant give up your seat!! She is class.
    I offered my seat to a girl who was HUGE and the guy beside me sat there while i stood up and had to stand.
    It has turned into a real "as long as im okay im fine"

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes, think thats her alright. She had different colour hair years ago but think she is brown colour now if I remember…….she is class act. Takes no messing. Says what we all would love to say!

Kate

You’re absoutely right, the PC and equality movements have gone into overdrive and we’ve evolved in a rude and thoughtless society.

There was an article in the journal last week about a US study which found that chivalrous behaviour was now seen as veiled sexism – whatdayamake of that!! Shame on any man who doesn’t give up their seat to a pregnant lady or person in need.

Personally I’m going to raise my son to be incredibly sexist…. 🙄 🙄

Jedt
    Keymaster

Me too Kate, my son is going to be a little gentleman hopefully.

LouthMam

That always drove me mad about the waiting area in the the Louth – women’s mammies and partners sitting there and pregnant women standing – unreal!! I’ve shamed some eejits into giving up their seats on my visits there too. I don’t think it’s malicious or anything, people just don’t consider anyone else. Me Fein culture at its finest.

I had an incident on my first pregnancy when I fell at the entrance to the Post Office in Slane on my lunch hour when I was 8 months pregnant and not 1 person stopped to help me. I was so big and mortifiedI sat on the ground and started to cry 😳 . People actually came out of the Post Office and practically stepped over me. It has been suggested to me since that maybe people thought I was drunk but AFAIC I was obviously pregnant and wearing work clothes, boots, handbag etc. I go out of my way now to make sure pregnant ladies are looked after!

Taylor5

Louthmum that happened my mother a few years ago, she took a dizzy spell in the middle of Dublin and people just stepped over her on the footpath.. on the up side she was mugged a few years ago on O Connell street in Dublin by what she called 2 respectable looking girls, she had a couple of hundred euro as she was going into the sales to buy shoes (she would never have that much money in her purse) A few people came to her rescue, she was very very distressed, a man about 50 got to some water and stayed with her, he told her to go to Store street garda station to report it… when in the station she found either 10 or 20euro in her jacket pocket, she cried bitter tears that this man could be so nice and she never got to thank him.

Kate i will give you a laugh my dh was holding a door open for a woman (about 30) and she snapped the head off him and said "do i look like i need help" He was livid and let the door go, she was so busy giving out she didnt notice and the door smacked her in the face, dh fell about laughing saying she wont be so feckin rude in future, a man in his 60’s nearly wet himself laughing as he had over heard her rant… .i ran off and hid "he is not my husband!" 😆 😆 😆

LouthMam

Yeah, it’s unreal sometimes how thoughtless people can be. That was a once-off bad experience for me but it took me ages toget over it.
    Your poor Mum Taylor5 – an elderly aunt of mine was mugged in Dublin City Centre a few years ago – they got absolutely nothing but it really shook her up.

pookie2

Lack of basic good manners drives me nuts too.

I’m trying to drill into my 3 little lads that elderly, handicapped, pregant people etc need to be minded. They get it about old people (my gran is 102) & pregnant women (As my four year old put it: ‘Sure you can’t bend down or run fast when there is a baby in your tummy, can’t you not mummmy?’).

if pre-schoolers can do it, so can adults

Recently my big boy stopped on the way into Tesco & said in the loudest voie possible ‘Why is that man parking in the wheelchair place? He is not a bit broken!’ The guy springing out of the big land-rover-like vehicle had the grace to look embarrassed

Kate

@Taylor re: hubby story. Some people just deserve a door in the head! 😆

My mam is a real softie, she starts work at 6am and she saw a young man asleep in a doorway and she put €5 in his hand. He shot after her and said ‘Ah jaysus missus I was only out on the rip last night I’m not homeless’. She nearly died, we’re still teasing her over it. But god love her she’d so soft hearted she’s do it again!

Some people are nice, it just seems like they’re few and far between especially when the bad stories (like the poor woman falling) are so brutal. I think its up to the mammies to set example to our own children. But unfortunately I agree with the heading, that in general people just aren’t as nice to each other 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.