Nightmare with new clothes

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Nightmare with new clothes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder does anyone else have problems putting new clothes on their kids?.My daughter (nearly 2) is inconsolable when i put anything new on her,she trys to take it off ,pulls at it,throws herself on the ground & crys her head off you name it she does it- a full on tantrum :evil: …….its no fun for anyone.

I usually leave new clothes hanging on the outside of her wardrobe for a few days before she even wears them so she can get used to seeing them!…..its doesnt help she just says NO WAY!….

If anyone has had this problem & has solved it i would love to hear it,its just as its coming up to her birhtday i know she will get new clothes from my family so i would love if it wasnt a drama.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anybody have any tips Pretty Please 😀

Yvonne

Maybe let her pick her own clothes for a while? Probably not the easiest for a 2 year old to do! Is there certain fabrics she likes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I really only put cotton clothes on her (she mostly wears a vest, long sleeved tops & leggings).

I cant even get her near her wardrobe never mind chosing the clothes!.

i really dont know what to do about it as its a drama most mornings & its tough going.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Try getting her to put the clothes on a teddy bear or dolly of hers and that might help.

Do you wash the clothes before you put them on her, I find my kids are sometimes annoyed with new clothes which are a bit scratchy.

My daughter (2) is going through a phase of not wanting to wear trousers. he will not wear jeans and goes nuts when I try to put them on her.

I sometimes struggle to get them on her and even then, she often takes them off afterwards.

I think they arejust asserting their little personalities at this age and they like to challenge. We are hearing ‘No’ quite alot from our 2 year old too….

munchin
    Participant

gosh haileysmum that can be a hassle alright
    Def agree with Sabbi on washing any new clothes first – they’ll then have your house smell on them iykwim and be a tad softer
    I do remember my dd1 at about 1.5yr screaming the house down because I was trying to put a particular dress on her I couldn’t believe how she acted – I did give in but it was only a once off – can’t think of anything more you could be doing – though I like sabbi’s idea of encouraging her to dress the teddy’s dolls etc
    Is it all new clothes or just certain types of new clothes – have her with you buying them and let herfeel them, hold them?
    Gosh hopefully she’ll grow out of it 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

I always wash her new clothes before she wears them & i cut off tags that are at her neck in case they irritate her.

We do dress her dolls & teddys aswell…..i really dont know how to get around it.

I mean even if the top is of one of her favourite characters Peppa Pig she still will have a fit about it,i just cant seem to convince her its a good thing to get dressed.

I try to make it a game & talk her through the colours & helping meput them on her…its a mystery to me why she finds it so traumatic.

Fabienne

Why not as long as she wears clothes appropriate for weather (warm now), I would not try new clothes as long the ones she accepts fits her, doesn’t matter if they don’t match or look new / nice.
    that will pass, and maybe one day see if she wants to chose one outfit in shop.
    And as for presents, either tell people that’s not a great idea at moment, or accept them even if she will never wears it, or ask for a bigger size for summer or new winter.
    I’m sur that will pass.
    You’re doing everything, wash tags off and all, don’t see what else you can do.

Fabienne

Anonymous
    Inactive

its just unfortunate timing as she has pretty much grown out of all her clothes (shes in size 1.5-2years ) but the legs & arms are getting a bit short on her & she is going to be 2 in a few weeks & she needs size 2-3years clothes or else she is going to look like ive shrunk all her clothes very soon!

I just hoped one of you might have had a magic cure forthe madness that surrounds getting her dressed!

Yvonne

Maybe encourage her to dress herself.. and perhaps a reward chat if she gets dressed (by you) quickly?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Maybe bring her to the shop and let her pick some things – like for eg if she is into Minnie Mouse, Dora or Peppa or any of those characters, you could get her clothes with them on them? My daughter likes that.

However, I may not be the best to advise you as it took me 15 mins and a hell of a struggle to dress my daughter this morning as she resisted at every turn!!! 😡

beams

I would suggest take away all the small and summer clothes. Put warm winter clothes in her wardrobe let her pick what she wants to wear then. Try not to make a big drama out of it for her. Any new clothes mix in with the old clothes she doesn’t know at that age what’s new or not it’s all warm winter clothes. If she has a fear of dressing etc. you should try to down play as much as possible as you are just adding fuel to the fire. If she wants to wear mis matched clothes that she prefers so be it they are warm and she is comfortable. This stage will pass . She wants some authority in her decisions . Hope that helps

Jedt
    Keymaster

It took my husband and me to put a pair of jeggings on our LO yesterday. She went nuts and did not want them on. We had to distract her and eventually she forgot about them and was fine.

Its a phase….its a phase…(this is what I keep telling myself!!)

Fabienne

Did you try to buy the same clothes just a bigger size?
    How are you getting on?

Fabienne

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey, yeah I have resorted to buying the same clothes in a bigger size…but she still seems to know that they are new!

Like Sabbi says I hope its a phase!! 😀

All I can say is I don’t know how im going to get her in a dress on Christmas day…as she lives in leggings & long sleeved tops & cardigans!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.