how much to give?

Home Forums National Chat how much to give?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

with communion time on the way what is the current amount to give? I have 3 in the family in the space of 2 weeks, plus one of the children is sharing her day with her cousin (no related to me iykwim) i would have to give him a card, i was thinking as little as 10e for him just as a token gift.

Im stumped on the others im looking at getting castings from little impressions for myniece, so that fine its the money im worried about…. my godson is making his confirmation so i was thinking 50e, his brother is making his commuion the week after and i was thinking a bit less, my mam said "oh, you cant give less, if x is getting 50e, then x will expect 50e the following week"
    Im a bit confused now!! the communion child is younger and im sure even 20e would be alot for an 8 year old… plus my thinking is you give a little be extra to your godchild!!
    Please help but what is the going rate for an Aunt or Uncle to give from both commuion and confirmation? Do you give more for confirmation?

libby1
    Participant

Its a hard one –

Godchild is extra special – €60 plus a pressie

Communion – cousins €30 / 40

Confirmation cousins – €40 / €50

I don’t give to friends at communion or confirmation.. if you are invited to aparty afterwards in a house, i get a frame engraved and put €10 in card

beams

Its a hard one –

I don’t give to friends at communion or confirmation.. if you are invited to aparty afterwards in a house, i get a frame engraved and put €10 in card

60 quid plus a pressie !!! OMG – not in our world 😆 I gave my godchild 2 years ago a communion statue i got in homeflair to just commemorate the even and a liverpool dvd (who he supported at the time) – i would have got him a watch but his dad said that he wouldnt wear one . So he was delighted with what he got – everybody was giving him little bits and pieces and by the time he was done he had plenty. Igave my niece last year 10 euro in a card and she was delighted. By the time they see everybody they have plenty. I think 60 quid plus a pressie is way too much personally i wouldnt do it !

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think parents expect you to give their kids €50,i think it is too much,but i have witnessed kids rip open cards & make faces when there was €20 in it.it seems to be all about how much you make on the day,which is sad.

I think if you know what the kid likes get them a toy or something for €20 as they wont know how much it cost & that way you avoidthe money in the card situation.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Godchild €50, any other close relative or very close friend €20. Good friends and no so close relatives €10. Other kids at school, no money, that just creates a mental situation with everyone swapping cards and it gets way out of hand.

Unless WE change the way we deal with communions, the madness will go on and on. It is up to us to stop putting so much money in cards, that’s the only way things will change.

My son is making his communion this year and he is the first grandchild and first nephew and first among my close friends and I will be telling them to be sensible. I do not want them putting themselves under pressure to put money in a card for a child, its crazy the way this has gone over the past few years.

I also know that they will all have communions coming up next year and the year after and I do not want them to put too much money in cards for my son because that puts pressure on me to reciprocate.

I hope they will be sensible like I ask!! 😛

Taylor5

Its a hard one –

That is along the lines of what i was thinking, well what would be expected…. do you know what after reading the posts and what sabbi said, if we keep this madness up it will run and run!!!
    I got my cards this week and i wanted to get them sorted and out of the way. i have revised my gifts the two communion kids will get 20e and i seen lovely personlised communion bracelets on Erincrafts facebook page, then 50e to my Godchild for confirmation and 10e to my sister in laws nephew.
    Thanks girls im very happy with my choice

Jedt
    Keymaster

Good woman Taylor, thats great. and you know, when your boys are making it, those friends & relatives will be relieved that they can reciprocate in the same way.

I certainly do not want anyone feeling under pressure to put money in cards for my children, especially this year for my son who is making his communion.

And another thing….If one of my children made a face at getting 20 euro in a card I would be very disappointed in them, I am not rearing them to expect huge sums of money off people! An easy way to avoid that is not to let them open cards in front ofpeople on their day; they can open them when the day is over. That takes the emphasis off money during the day when family & friends are here and puts the emphasis on them enjoying their day. It should not be all about money, it is supposed to be special for other reasons!

Taylor5

My boys wont be making it, well i dont think they will 🙄

My issue is with my godchild making his confirmation the week before, he will be getting 50e…. then the next weekend the 8 year old is making his communion, if he sees his brothers cards will he expect to see 50e in his?

Ah well, if he likes it or not thats what they are getting…. im so glad i posted on here, i didnt think 20e was enough for communion

munchin
    Participant

think i’d be agreeing with Sabbi’s guidelines

Hawkeye

In addition, I’d be managing the expectations of the children. I’ve seen some people lately skip utility bills or GP visits simply as they had to put aside €30 or €40 for a birthday or similar! For some, that is more than they have left over in a week after essentials. One person confided to me that they were having panic attacks at the thoughts of an upcoming event and they did not know where they would get spare money for it. There are quite a few people out there that have not told anyone how much they are struggling and so people don’t know (and in some cases think they are just being mean!).

Taylor5

i dont think anyone would think someone is being mean, not in the current climate. I do think we still feel we are riding the celtic tiger, my nephew told my mother she gave his brother 100e and he is looking forward to his 100e!!!!!! My sister did say oh you gave to one you have to give to the other 100 is way too much
    I dont have commuions and confirmations until mid/end of May, but i also have 6 birthdays in the first 2 week of June inc BIL’s 40 and my dh’s birthday and we hope to book our summer holiday around the same time, so im thinking ahead.
    Im going to do the cards this week and set them aside, its like christmas i like to get things sorted early…. then there is no stress and its done with what seems like no expense at all

beams

I honestly dont know why people are putting themselves under pressure for communion or confirmation. These are religious sacrements which teachers are trying to instill into the kids – not how much they will get in cards etc. – its up to the parents of these kids to manage these expectations – there is no way my children would expect money in that region and Im an Accountant and my husband is an Engineer . We have the money but i would never ever give kids that kind of money – its just Wrong in my opinion .

Jedt
    Keymaster

well said beams.

Its up to us to change the way kids see this event. I am delighted that my son is interested in the mass, the hymns and a big thing for him on the day is that he has a solo to sing so that is all he is talking about at the moment! He is nervous & excited about that.

He made his first confession last week and gave it alot of thought, I am glad he understands the importance of those aspects of making his communion.

If he started talking about expecting lots of money in cards for people I would be very disappointed in him and we would be having serious words!

beams

You should feel very proud Sabbi – thats brilliant that your son is so excited about the Mass and the event of his holy communion. Im no holy joe but i think the emphasis has shifted so much away from the religious aspect of these ceremonies that its no wonder the kids have lost all perspective coz the parents definately have 😆 Its up to us as parents to help teach our children what these events in their lives are all about – and the lovely dresses and presents and meals out etc… are just a small part of a wonderful day in their young lives. I hope your son has a brilliant day and bring loads of tissues for his solo spot Sabbi – best of luck to him x

Jedt
    Keymaster

He has been practicing in front of us and his grandparents and he has a really sweet little voice, he is so cute. I know he is nervous but hopefully he will be ok on the day. He says he has butterflies in his tummy…but as long as he wants to do it, thats grand by us, we would not push him into it. Reckon I’ll need a few Kleenex that day!! Better get myself some waterproof mascara!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.