Healthy snacks and treats

Home Forums National Chat Healthy snacks and treats

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Its nice to have treats, we all need them…. but what is okay to have and fill a sweet craving but not really really bad on the waist?
    I eat popcorn, homemade air popped with a bit of salt, not oil at all. I thought this was okay, yet someone told me no it really bad!!! So confused now
    Any good sweet treats girls?

beams

Taylor i like the pink n whites – very low in calories recommended by WW – also choc mousse from tesco (the low fat ones) also liquorish is excellent – read about it in a health magazine and all the super models eat it – if its good enough for them 😉 😆

LouthMam

If I’m going mad for something sweet I make up a dessert with low-fat sorbet with meringue mashed through it. Always keep some meringue nests in the press for that. Fruit too if you really want to be healthy.
    Or sugarfree jelly mixed with fromage frais and left to set in the fridge is nice too.
    Or marshmallows – yep pink and whites are great too. 98% fat free.
    I think the issue with popcorn is that it’s meant to be bad for your teeth as it can get stuck in between teeth for ages. It’s low-fat though.
    Rice cakes? – Never think of them as a treat myself but maybe if you’re into savoury stuff?
    Also, I’ve heard of people freezing single squares of good quality dark chocolate and eating just one at a time to get rid of a craving but I could never do that myself!

Taylor5

Great ideas girls. I did buy the pink and whites and the meringue nest, my problem is i will eat the whole packet in one go!!!
    Someone was saying the Gem biscuts are great and in a little treat size packet.
    Im back eating fruit for a sugar fix, but sometimes its just not enough. I do like rice cakes, forgot i have a few in the bottom of the press. I like savoury things too, for that i make chilli and garlic hummus and eat with toasted pitta breads, soooo yummy i would highly recommend it

Hawkeye

If savoury is okay Taylor, Tesco now have mild chilli wholewheat ricecakes, they’re lovely. Aldi do very small tins of flavoured tuna, like sundried tomatoe and pepper etc., those spread on the ricecakes are delicious and very low calorie wise 😉

happymumblemum
    Participant

Air popped popcorn cannot be bad for you surely???????????????????????

Hawkeye

Revised suggestion (after I’ve just made it for lunch!) The mild chilli wholewheat ricecakes, spread a triangle of the aldi light cheese triangles on each one and then top with the aldi seasoned smoked salmon, then drizzle some of the sauce that comes with the salmon (mustard and honey today!) and if you like them, a few thin slices of olives (29c per jar, Aldi!) on top. Had them with a tesco light choices chicken and chinese noodle cup soup. Delicious, nutricious, healthy and low fat 😀

lellykelly

im loving tesco everyday value low fat yogurts at moment. low in fat & calories, taste delish tho & only 66c for 4!! i mix a teaspoon of the aldi cereal topper with linseed, sunflower seed & honey thru it. yum!! 😀

mammycool
    Participant

Has anyone tried the rivita thins that are being advertised at the moment – that have lots of different flavours.

Special K do bars and bites that at low fat – around 98calories(a bit dear though). In saying that, a small Kit Kat(two fingers) is only 102calories and just as tasty 🙂 Neither of these would fill you up though!

Taylor5

FC are cuppa soup not bad for you, full of sugars and salts?
    I had that salmon today, im addicted to it…. but there are worse things i suppose 😆 😆 😆

I make my own soup and it does for the week,
    2 gloves of garlic
    2 sticks of celery
    1 onion
    4/5 carrots
    2 med to large spuds
    2 stock cubes and salt and pepper…. cover with water, bring to boil, then simmer, then blend. Its yummy and fills you up

Hawkeye

FC are cuppa soup not bad for you, full of sugars and salts?
    I had that salmon today, im addicted to it…. but there are worse things i suppose 😆 😆 😆

I make my own soup and it does for the week,
    2 gloves of garlic
    2 sticks of celery
    1 onion
    4/5 carrots
    2 med to large spuds
    2 stock cubes and salt and pepper…. cover with water, bring to boil, then simmer, then blend. Its yummy and fills you up

I wasn’t wearing my FC cape there Taylor 😆 😆

Yeah, packet soups are no substitute for making your own but that one I mentioned only has 43 calories and handy when on the run. I do one similar to yours (without the garlic during the week!) but often leave it chunky.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Peanut butter on ricecakes. My sis goes to the gym alot and has slimmed down and reckons this is a great treat and good filler between meals. also, bananas are great. I love banana sandwiches with a cup of tea – the bread not so healthy but oh so yum!!

Bookwitch

Sheila Kiely, author of bestselling book "Gimme The Recipe" will be hosting a talk and cookery demo for busy parents who want to make healthy, nutritious food fast. It’s free to attend, and all are welcome.

Friday, 25 May 2012
    15:30 until 16:30
    Waterstones Drogheda, G12 Scotch Hall.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.