Harper’s on the quay – no changing facilities

Home Forums Louth Chat Harper’s on the quay – no changing facilities

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    happymumblemum
    Participant

I know where it is now, thanks Taylor!

Will avoid in protest!!!!!!!!!

MaryE

Heard this mentioned on Ray Darcy this morning, they didnt name the place but knew it was this place, seemingly its not a legal requirement to have a changing facilities!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I heard that on Ray D’Arcy too, I was surprised to hear them say it is not a legal requirement.

Its clear this place aint too fond of babies if that is their policy!! I actually phoned them up and asked if they would consider getting changing facilities in and the manager said no way, she had a ‘bad experience’ with them in the past with mums leaving them dirty and she will not get it in. She was none too pleased with me for asking but I thought she deserved the opportunity to explain her position so here is what she said:

"We have space for buggies and have highchairs and when needed mums can change their babies either on the floor, on the toilet seat or on their laps."

I said there is no way I could or would do that with my one year old; I would not do it on the floor or a toilet seat (yuk!) and would definitely not be able to change her on my lap, as she is a little wriggler and if she had a dirty bum that would be a disaster. Her reply to me was that ‘our mothers changed us on their laps and we should be able to do that too’

I don’t think that’s good enough to be honest but its their prerogative and nothing we can do.

Needless to say, when I met a friend for coffee this morning, we headed straight to the Bagel Bar and sure enough while were we there my baby had a dirty bum and I was glad I was able to go in and change her without any hassle. 😀

munchin
    Participant

gosh that’s a terrible attitude altogether! 👿 wonder do they realise how much bad publicity they’re getting over it
    def will avoid there even though i dont need changing facilities any more

trixiebell
    Participant

Cant get over what she said lol. I ve never been in it, but just from looking in when passing, it doesnt look like kids are wanted in the place at all, from the look of the place

mammycool
    Participant

Ha, should bring my kids in and buy a big crumbly muffin – then they would know all about mess!!!! The cheek. I would have no problem with changing a child on my lap – no matter the age. But do they really want you changing a dirty nappy in the middle of the restaurant – might clear the place.

Jedt
    Keymaster

She knows they’re getting bad press and we asked her for her side of it but she seems determined not to get any baby changing facilities in, so nothing us mums can do but find somewhere else to go with our babies that caters for our needs.

dervy

You should just pop the baby up on the counter when you go to pay and change them there, she what she says then!! 😀

twink
    Participant

I don’t need them any more either, but we should each ring and ask the question…..say we are having a party in an afternoon for 25 mums, would they be able to cater for that, and then ask about baby changing facilities 👿 😈

chewieodie
    Participant

This whole thing has really left me with a somewhat bad taste in the mouth. I definitely won’t go back.

We actually went in there a couple of weeks ago…. took the inlaws in for some coffee…. and my father-in-law asked for a filter coffee. So, they gave him one… in a ginormous "cappuchino" cup. So of course when it arrived at the table, the cup was half full. He asked for the cup to be filled…ie… a "cup of coffee"… and she said that the machine is programmed to dispense a certain amount…. but that she could get another measure so as to fill it. 🙄 (which of course we’d have to pay for)
    How short sighted can you be? If your machine is dispensing x amount… then make sure you have the right size cups, so that your customer doesn’t feel like they are getting half measures….
    dumb if you ask me 🙄

i was in in a place same size as the Laurence town centre in Canada and they had 3 set of bathrooms 1 in the food court 1 down stairs and 1 up stairs every restaurant we were in had a changing place for babys or a family room in the malls! oh and really nice staff that said please and thank you and have a nice day instead of throwing the stuff at you and nearly telling you to f off out of the shop!

Taylor5

God what a rotten attitude, my sister could change her kids on her lap, i never even tried!

Chewi thats terrible about the half full cup, buy small cups that match the measures.

We should all go in someday and meet up and let the kids "run a muck" in the place, just give them a taste of the mess little kiddies and their mammies can make! 😆 😆 😆

There are tough times out there and they should be bending over backwards to keep customers happy

Omg…I can’t believe the response I got…I was so frustrated but thought maybe I was over reacting…but so glad to see I wasn’t…thanks girls. I sent ray Darcy an email too but didn’t hear back from them. Just wanted to know if it’s was illegal. Didn’t hear it on radio…
    As for the bagel bar I go there all the time…so great for the kids.. thanks to mumstown mornings for introducing me to the place. I probably should have changed her on the cushion but I was in shock at the owner’s response that I just left.
    Thanks for all the replies…it’s back to Lawrence’s Centre for me…great news about the toilet too.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Ray D’Arcy read out your email on fix it Friday and explained they looked into it and it is not illegal. Its bad form alright but not illegal. He called it a restaurant in Drogheda but did not mention their name – so they got off lightly there!

When I read your original post I could hardly believe it – I just thought in this day and age a business would not jeopardise custom in such a way but when I called up to ask for myself, the manager was very defensive and did not have a good attitude about it at all. I told her they were getting bad press and that she could sort it out and come on to Mumstown and let us know if she changed her mind (giving her an olive branch!) but she was having none of it. She said if our mother generation could change their babies on their lap, we should be able to do the same.

Sillyness really – they have lost a heap of potential customers now.

happymumblemum
    Participant

Time to get a gang together as Taylor said and have a " nappy in" …

We should organise about twenty mums with babies to go in order a tea then all stand up and start changing their babies on the tables 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

She sounds like a right cow.

Wheres the name again …
    [size=200]
    HARPERS DROGHEDA ON THE QUAY[/size]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.