Consultants in OLOL – any recommendations ?

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Consultants in OLOL – any recommendations ?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    tulip

hi,

I am 16 weeks pregnant and went to see Dr. Harkin. I was only there once so far and I have to say she is a really nice woman. She had plenty of time for us, answered all our questions and did the scan.

She is in the same building as Dr. Millner on the North Road just after the garage.

mayday08

have to say i am a new mum who had a baby recently in OLOL, i attended Dr. Rabee and found her great for the delivery, she is known to have a high rate of Epistomy and when i got talking with others i was told no different to others. Majority of my friends have had an epistomy and none of them had Dr. Rabee so may be wrong to single her out. I had vacumn deliver in end and found Dr. Rabee was in and our during my labour, she allowed me to labour at own pace and kept telling me how well i was doing and it was great to hear that and she also complemented me on my six week check up, Contrat to what previous posters post it is necessary at times to have a epistomy rather than have a third degree tear, while i had one i never looked backed and healed very quickly and the way i look at it better to have this option maybe than a section.

Wonderwoman

i had baby in april with dr.rosie harkin, thought she was great!

Taylor5

Its much better to have an epistomy rather then a tear, if you get an epistomy its an angle and heals better with less strain…. but if you tear God knows what way you’ll rip and has many many problems related afterwards
    Im attending Dr Rabee (public) I haven seen her too much but have seen a Dr on her team called Bio, he is lovely and cant fault him

TracyDonegan

Episiotomies are supposed to be restricted to emergency situations only and still very overused in Irish hospitals. There are of course cases when it’s necessary (but they are few and far between)

Although the thought of having a tear isn’t great either with an episiotomy you’re more likely to have complications. Be sure to ask your consultant what their rate of episiotomy is……if they practice evidence based (international best practice) it should be less than 10%…..it’s worth doing your homework on this one.

Also – be sure to do your perineal massage !!!

Tracy

Moonflower

Hi,

just to join this discussion,I was so against episotomies as had been told they took longer to heal than tears & caused more problems & begged my consultant not to cut me during labour,she did as i asked & i ended up with a third degree tear…whereas in hindsight an episotomy would of been the best option…. 🙁

also heard that the birthing stool can be cause of many third degree tears,have been asked this sevral times when i mention i had third degree tear…i didnt use one – my Ds just had a very big head & was in wrong position 🙄

Taylor5

I didnt know that about the birthing stools, will avoid like the plague if I get to try for a natural birth this time

Moonflower

Hi taylor,

well thats what i have heard,but of course I am in no way an expert…justv passing on things that have been mentioned to me….but yes if i was able to give birth naturally again that would stick in my mind & i would avoid it & of course if I was offered an epistomy then I would not protest next time……

How long have you got left now? cant be that long time goes so quickly…are you excited or nervous?

Moonflower xxx

TracyDonegan

Of course there is a place for episiotomies in maternity care but it is overused in Ireland. Midwife led care is not against episiotomies – but that they are used when necessary (when a baby is in distress) With an episiotomy it’s automatically a 2nd degree injury and more likely to extend.

Depending on the position of the mum, position of baby….whether she’s ‘purple pushing’………has an epidural and most importantly how often your consultant does them. A sensitive midwife will help you with positioning….warm compress etc to help you avoid a tear.

Birth stools are a great way of helping mum’s pelvis open more so your baby can move down easier…and with your partner sitting behind you they can be very effective (without purple pushing !) From what I see one of the biggest causes of tears is the forced pushing……you don’t need to push at all….your uterus does all the work for you.

Tracy

Moonflower

Hi Tracey,

was looking forward to reading your views on this…yes i can totally agree with what you say…my tear happened by my over pushing….babes was gettin in distress & they were trying best to get him out & midwife said oh look at his head & I panicked & thought Oh my god i got to get him out he cant die etc etc & pushed liked a mad woman….where if she had said dont push just pant etc etc,like you see on baby programs I may not of pushed so hard…but thats no issue i have with midwife just one of those things….

but what it has made me believe in is how i would much prefer a doula than a private consultant 🙂 so anybody reading would recommend contacting Tracey to put you in touch with a Doula, as personally I believe a Doula is fabulous person to have with you during labour…if i had had a doula on my Ds I feel things may of gone a lot different….no 100% guarantee i know but to have the wealth of knowledge & support of a doula is worth every penny…..

Moonflower xxx

TracyDonegan

Hi Moonflower – a doula compliments the care you’re receiving from your midwife or consultant. As a doula my main focus is on your emotional and informational support – and as the hospitals get busier this is an area that the midwives can’t always provide. The benefits of having a doula is well documented (less cesareans, less assisted deliveries and longer breastfeeding) It’s great that OLOL are so supportive of mums having that extra support – not all hospitals are so progressive.

Maybe some gentle guidance as your baby was emerging would have made a difference (but hindsight is always great!!)

There are only a few doulas in the Dublin/Meath area and as I’m in college now I’ve had to give up my doula work until the Summer….so if there’s anyone interested in doula work let me know I’d love to help get you started.

Tracy

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.