Confused,dd is not alowed Actimel,Frubes at school

Home Forums National Chat Confused,dd is not alowed Actimel,Frubes at school

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    pumbainga

My dd and other children in Ireland spend 6 h in school 5 days a week.
    This is the time of the day they should feed properly and healthy.
    I am confused and shocked that she can’t have any kind of jogurts in school.
    She eats vegetables and fruits a lot,she also have her bread with her, so in my opinion jogurt would be perfect addition to her lunch box….
    in my case it was so all the time,but now… could you please share what are you putting in lunch boxes?

trixiebell
    Participant

hi pumbainga,

I know most schools have their own policies, for example in DS’s school, they are not allowed chocolate biscuits, "sweet" flavoured yoghurts, e.g milkyway, mars etc, but the normal petis filous ones are ok.

They dont allow crisps or sweets etc either, which I think is good, but its the first time I have heard of a school banning "normal" yoghurts and actimels etc 😕

Sorry edited to add what DS gets

3 sandwiches (ham / jam / cheese)
    3 plain biscuits / crackers
    apple
    mandarin orange
    drink
    2 petis filous
    sometimes grapes

beams

Hi – does a child have an allergy in the school ?? Maybe thats the reason ??

pumbainga

The reason is – too messy 🙄
    And i agree about sweets, fizzy drinks,crisps etc, but healthy jogurt…
    I actually had coversation with DD teacher last year about Actimel, again not alowed, but i gave straw in lunch so she can drink it without opening. This worked out last year, but today, dd came home and told about this fact, that principal explained new rules today about playing in yard and lunch boxes.

super minder

and the fact is not nice sitting beside a kid who has the smell of little break yogurt down the jumper .

sorry and sometimes they spill on floor etc and all over the school bags xxxx

Corinne9

very strange. 🙂

well i think so long as they’re banning ‘un-healthy’ stuff they should also ban petit filous – it’s full of sugar!

🙂 just joining in the fray a bit. tongue in cheek. 😉

ed1
    Participant

In Congress Ave they are not supposed to bring in yoghurts in Junior Infants or Senior Infants. They are allowed Frubes though. They are also not allowed chocolate or sweets.

What amazes me though is they are not allowed have their lunches wrapped in tin foil or plastic lunch bags. I wouldnt mind but they bring their rubbish home with them…

Taylor5

I think its to do with mess and the waste in there bins, they want items that can be placed backinto the lunchboxes so they dont have to dispose of the waste

rossylisa

DD isnt allowed either.. she not allowed cheese strings ,yogurts,cereal bars anything with packaging. Oh and the new one is no choc spread 🙄

Is it the same school i wounder

Taylor5

i think the choc spread is in most schools due to nut alergy

yummymummy

None of these allowed in ds school either altho (and bold me) i still give him frubes, he takes borbon biscuits as well and sometimes cracker with choc spread. The yougurts I know are cos of messyness, ther est I think is just a healty eating policy in the school and nuts and popcorn cos of the choking aspect of them.

jaybird

Nuts and choc spread may be banned due to allergies. Not fair on any child with a dangerous allergy to flout the rules, IMO.

RE tinfoil/plastic/pakaging, they are trying to teach children to reduce waste, and getting them into the habit of using only proper reuseable containers is an excellent lesson for small children. Recycling is great, but it should be last after reduce and reuse.

yummymummy

Just as an aside, if I give my son them brennans bread with the nuts on them for lunch am I to be responsible for a boys nut allergy reaction?? cos these arent lised on the foods not to take to school??

Just saying cos most foods have the label "may contain traces of nuts" surely I cant be nor any other parent be responsible for another childs allergy

beams

Yummy – you aren’t responsible for another childs allergy – but me being a parent of a serious peanut allergy child ie. life threatening . We have to rely and trust that rules are being followed by parents in the schools. We entrust our children to the schools and expect to get them back in once piece so parents MUST respect the rules – otherwise my child would die simple as that. I know its difficult to read all these labels – but if you buy plain bread for the sandwiches and keep any nutty bread for home – that will suffice. We parents have a responsibility to respect others and keep the rules 😀

yummymummy

I understand that beams…It was simply a question I put out there. Now I presume if there was a child in my ds class who had some sort of allergy, would other parents be informed to keep the things as far away from the said child as possible??? or is it up to you ( parent of child with allergy) to make sure that he stays well away??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.