Breastfed Baby Not Putting On Enough Weight

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Breastfed Baby Not Putting On Enough Weight

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    pookie2

Reassuring article Tracy.

Am ok, Caligal. Hope you still hanging in there!

Working on improving his latch. Moments of self-doubt, but plenty of wet and dirty, 5 rightly wet nappies and one wet & dirty in a day is pretty ok, I think.

Holding him like a rugby ball under my arm, it was great to hear him gulping yesterday night & this morning. If only I could be so sure he was filling up on his other feeds….

Not looking forward to hospital on Wed & yet another scales…..There was 200g difference between health nurse’s & doc’s scales already….

CaliGal

Great going Pookie2..the thing to remember is the volume babs is taking in a 24 hour period.

Some feeds he might be hungrier than others and be more successful than others but hang in there! As I mentioned, because his latch was not optimal until last Thursday, you are starting from scratch and it’s been less than a week 😉

As for me lots of mild cramping off/on but nothing else. It’s wrecking my head but I am using this as an exercise in patience!

munchin
    Participant

fair play pookie for sticking to your guns and by sounds of it ds is getting the jist of it now.
    Good luck caligal

pookie2

Hope baby still in there Caligal, & that your mam has arrived safely.

This whole latch business isn’t perfect by any means yet, but at least I know what he should be doing. Between him being stubborn & not wanting to change his way of doing it & me being a bit incompetent…..!!Hmmmm… Ah, well – hopefully we’ll get there in the end

CaliGal

Baby still here but mom isn’t! Her flight got delayed until 9:30 Wed am so fingers crossed!!

If you need more help/inspiration/guidance re: latch there are loads of good videos here by North America’s leading Breastfeeding GP, Dr. Jack Newman!

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com … &Itemid=13

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics … urces.html

pookie2

Right, I’ve had a look at those videos. Let’s see if we can improve things!

Caligal, hope baby waits till your mom gets here. I’ll miss Costa tomorrow – I’ll give the hospital the chance to give him a quick once over, but shoul be back the Wed after that. You might even be there with your new arrival!

pookie2

Congrats to Caligal on her healthy new little lady!!!

Am trying to eat better, stress less & feed more. Also trying some herbal remedies (capsules & tea) to improve milk supply. We’ll see…..

Missed Costa meet up as was at Paediatric Assessment Unit in Drog. They couldn’t find a thing wrong with him except that he was a bit scrawny! Doc even told me that by 3 months a baby had got most of the benefit from the boobs & I should start moving to bottles.

Usual story – give him bottles after every feed. I Half-heartedly tried one after a feed & he threw a complete fit – ‘I ain’t hungry & I don’t want it!’ Was kinda glad! I’m giving him a tiny bit of formula with a syringe every now & then just to reassure me that he’s not starving – & so that I can say I tried to give him some & get doc’s off my back.

Got some advice from pm from lactation consultant & it was a lot more reassuring.

CaliGal

How are things Pookie?

Motherlove make herbal capsules that are natural galactogogues. You can get them from Onceborn.ie. Also drink loads of Fennel Tea. I make a pitcher with 4 bags in the am and drink it iced throughout the day.

I won’t be in Costa until June I’d say as I am laying low and enjoying our babymoon on this baba!

Fabienne

Congrats, Calical.

Pookie if you don’t want to switch to bottles, DON’T.
    As you say baby is growing a bit, now you’re doing things better, getting use to it, don’t let anyone pressure you into something you don’t want for you and your little man. With help from people who do actually know a lot about breastfeeding, is the best way to do it.
    Fabienne

pookie2

Got Milkmaid tea & More Mikg capsules from Onceborn, Caligal. Hoping you & wee babby well!

CaliGal

we are doing ok here. Baby has days/nights mixed up so pretty tired..but that’s the way of newborns 😕

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have to say reading these posts makes me remember the times when my own were so little. For all the good and the hard times wouldn’t change having had the chance to be a mam. I remember so well struggling to breastfeed my first baby and did give up really through lack of info and support. Yet I really enjoyed feeding my 4th baby as it gave us so many chances to take it easy and just enjoy the moment. I didn’t hand him over anywhere as much as I did the bottle fed babies and really enjoyed my time with him.my last little man didn’t like breastfeeding and I was really gutted. He just wanted a bottle. Nothing I did worked.i tried everything….even giving him breastmilk in a bottle while still trying to get him to feed from me,but he didn’t go for it at all. I kept it up for 2months hoping it would change. The midwife did say some babies dont take to it but I had never heard that. However,after my attempts and trying everything I have come to that conclusion also. Breastfeeding can be hard going in the early days but once its established it can be very relaxing and rewarding. Im glad I persevered with my 4th however wish I had more support with my other babies and had that special time with them.

pookie2

Yip, not as easy as it sounds. Natural maybe, but not easy.

And not as much support from medics as you’d expect either – or from HSE. Mums are left to fend for themselves. Surely it would be worth their while even from a purely financial point of view….

(Nothing at all against bottles if that is the mum’s choice, or if bf doesn’t work out – my first guy only got bf a while, then combine fed awhile, then bottles. No one told me the PND causes milk supply to dwindle & I ended up a bit of a mess.)

Anyway: fingers crossed that he’s put on a wee chunk tomorrow. I’ll be gutted if he hasn’t….

pookie2

Grrrr. Not so good. According to doc’s scales, he’s put on just 70g in nearly two weeks & is now 4.47kg (9lbs 13.5oz) – & that’s the scale he weighs heaviest on.

According to lactation lady, allw two weeks to get back to birth weight & a MIN of 113g per week from then on. That would bring him to 5.16kg (11lbs 5oz) approx

Told doc I didn’t want to go back to hospital, but she was firm – nice, but firm. Wants them to take another look at him.

Rightly fed up as he seems so well otherwise – but not brave enough to defy doc’s orders…

Jedt
    Keymaster

Feel for you Pookie, we had loads of problems feeding our son. I was a first time mum, had not got a clue and major lack of support from HSE and anyone we asked. We hired a private lactation consultant to get help!

Our little guy was not a great eater and his weight did not go up as much as they PHN’s wanted and we were pressured to take him back to the hospital for a check up. We were so stressed taking him back to the hospital, I remember sitting in the waiting area crying, feeling like a total failure.

They checked him and much to our surprise, said he was fine. the whole experience was so traumatic, I can understand how you are feeling. its awful, the lack of support for bf mums.

Again, I think mums should feed which ever way they are happy with but if you do want to bf, there should be more support.

There are breasfeeding classes mums-to-be can take now, they are run by a midwife called Clare in Dublin & Cork, her website it http://www.anulife.ie/

There should be support for bf mums after the birth etc but the reality is, there is not enough information & help available so taking a class before baby comes is a great idea. I would have done this is it had been available to me on my first pregnancy. every little bit of help is good….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.