Whats best Painkillers for tooth pain?

Home Forums National Chat Whats best Painkillers for tooth pain?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

Hi girls,

I have the worst tooth pain the last few days. I have a tooth that i got filled a few weeks ago but at the time dentist said he didnt think it would be longterm, that id probably need root canal or to remove it.

Anyway the problem returned sooner then i thought. The pain is right up to my ear & down to my throat, so i got my dentist on the phone yesterday (he is off till the 4th). He said it sounded like i have an infection, so he said he wouldnt be able to do anything until that was cleared up & gave me a prescription for antibiotics & painkillers (Tylex).

The pain is unbearable at times – I have tried every pain killer, tyles, nurofen plus, ponston but when it starts throbing it feels like ive taken nothing – anyone have any auggestions?

At the moment it is just sore but it can change in seconds to a throbing pain that makes me cry.

Havent been out over Christmas but was suppose to be going out tonight, really want to go even if i cant drink with the tablets but at the moment it doesnt look likely.

chewieodie
    Participant

I landed up at the nowdoc same reason… just after Christmas…
    the antibiotic has taken the pain from me… but she gave me two painkillers too…. Melfin and Zydol….
    Both on prescription though…. 🙁
    I found that when the antibiotic kicked in, it made things so much better.

My thoughts and sympathies are with you!

MaryE

Thanks for reply.

How long did it take for the antibiotics to kick in?

Did the pain cause your ear & throat to hurt too? Was beginning to think that there was something else wrong with me too but dh says its all caused my the tooth pain/ infection.

chewieodie
    Participant

Oh I felt terrible…. blowing my nose felt like my head was going to explode…. 😥 and the thing is, I had root canal… and then a couple of days after it all my face started swelling up too…. but yep, felt like I had a bad head cold, and nauseous too…. and I knew that things weren’t right because I’ve had root canal before on a few occasions and never went through this.

Took a couple of days for the antibiotics to do their job….

Jedt
    Keymaster

MaryE,

Tylex are very strong painkillers, they usually take about 30 mins to kick in and when they do, they really work. There is codeine in them and they really help numb the pain.

I had surgery few years ago and was on Tylex afterwards and found them very effective.

Hope they start to kick in soon and help you feel bit better.

An old remedy is to rub some raw garlic on the affected area around the tooth, it soothes toothache. Not the nicest taste but if it helps with the toothache, worth a shot.

take care. x

Taylor5

Tylex are like solpadine, not much stronger! i had them after my section and found them crap 🙄 I might have some Zydol here, will have a look… they might be out of date as i havent used them in years

you can get a thing in the chemist called clove oil and dab on the gum/tooth, it might work it might not, but its cheap and might do the trick…. neurofen plus is good for dental. My mam swears by whiskey on some cotton wool. I could cope with any sort of pain but not dental pains, nothing worse!

Hope you get sorted soon, ring the Doc on Call if your in alot of pain

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have to second the clove oil…old fashioned but it does work. If nothing else the taste of it will take your mind off the pain 😆 Hope your feeling bit better by now.

Biddy

Nothing worse than a tooth ache,I had an awful one over Christmas,tried everything but the whiskey on cotton wool worked the best to ease it ..ended up with an abcess on tooth and got it out ,then got infection and antibiotics.( rubbed whiskey on my gums as well as biting down on the cotton wool soaked in whiskey and it defo helped to ease the pain)…

MaryE

Thanks for all the replies.

Good news – tooth is now out -yeahhhhhhh

God, hope thats the last one. Have had two teeth out since dds birth five months ago, at this rate i will be gummy 😳 😳

I will be washing them 10 times a day form now on – i swear.

MaryE

Oh yeah, meant to say, dentist told me to get nurofen plus for pain after extraction but when i went into chemist they said that they were not recommended for blood clotting!!! I never heard that before. they told me to get panadol extra instead.

happymumblemum
    Participant

Glad to hear you had it out, its a great relief…

Didn’t take any thing after my extraction but regretted it a few hours later whilst in work at the Shakira concert having to do crowd control and had 9,000 people screaming in my face, the pain and noise was ringing round my mouth and head..kinda buzzing in the raw hole aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 😆 😆 😆

Did you keep the tooth? My dentist said did I want to see it..I said noooo way

Taylor5

kinda buzzing in the raw hole aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh 😆 😆 😆

Was it a dentist or a OBGYN you went to? 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

happymumblemum
    Participant

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Dirty Bit** ya know what I meant…. 😆 😆

Taylor5

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Dirty Bit** ya know what I meant…. 😆 😆
    😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.