Update – For you mammies-not worth the grief

Home Forums National Chat Update – For you mammies-not worth the grief

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    munchin
    Participant

oh what a lovely poem – also like the one posted on other thread too happymammy

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is lovely. I’ve just sent it to my own mom/angel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just had to add this. It’s what my mom sent me in return:

THE PURPLE HAT

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself as the "Ugly Sister"-"Mom, I can’t go to school looking like this!"

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees, "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she’s going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees, "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she doesn’t have time to fix it so she’s going out anyway.

At 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but says, "At least I’m clean," and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself, sees "I am", and goes wherever she wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can’t even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself and sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn’t bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

Maybe we should all grab that purple hat earlier.

A response like that from her is why she is ‘my angel’!

happymumblemum
    Participant

Alison,

I read your poem this morning and now I have a few minutes I am posting to say that it is a lovely poem and can be appreciated by any mum.

Can not believe there was such a furore over it. 🙄 🙄

All I can say to Biggins is go and register on a mans website rather than posting your high and mighty comments all over a womens chat room.

I am sure you offended many people, ..one thing Mumstown has always been about is support and as a member from the beginning I can honestly say that even when disagreements have occured, no one has shot down someones beliefs in such an ignorant way.

Of course it is a free country but we have always tried on here to be tactful and considerate.

Taylor5

***** that was a fab email to get, but its soooo true we should all grab that purple hat now and be happy with ourselves and not wait untill we are knocking on heavens door or too late in some cases.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I thought it was great especially coming from my mom who is mid sixty and surviving cancer (the bit about people not being able to see themselves anymore hit a note).

Taylor5

I think I’ll print that out for my mum, her and my dad gave up their lives for us kids, everything was for us. Mam and Dad would sit in at the weekends and watch tv or Iron etc… well Dad died very sudden at the age of 60, then after a few years my mum started going out and on a few sun holidays a year with other widow friends….. She waited untill her soul mate had died before she grabbed her purple hat, poor Dad never got to grab his.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can believe that. As strange as it is to think, getting sick has made my mom so much more willing to take a risk. I reckon I am going to buy the next purple hat I see – if you ever see me out in it WATCH OUT! 😆 😆

MaryK

I think that Biggins is just in the dark about what poems like this mean to most mothers. Men come from a whole different point of view.
    However, when mothers read heart-warming poems and short stories that focus on children, we immediately identify with it and relate it to our own kids. We have so many worries about their welfare and their uncertain futures. To understand and express these emotions we need these types of poems.

I think admin is quick to remove any inappropriate posts that violate the rules. This one didn’t.
    One other thing…it is important that this site is supportive. Some sites I go on are just mean and nasty. But this is a bit like a sanctuary 🙂

Yvonne

Both of those are lovely….

scole1

***** that’s a lovely poem another one to add to the fridge and read everyday for sure……

ed1
    Participant

****** thats lovely and so true. we should all live everyday as if its our last and enjoy what we have.

louise789

What a beautiful poem. Maybe I am overtired and emotional but that brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat!! xx

Alison,

Dinomum

Alison that was a lovely poem, with beautiful sentiments. I do not think that it is overtly religious and thank you for sharing it, personally, I think it makes us mums feel very special indeed !! Your last post is a great philosphy on life….when times get tough, it’s one to remember:D

*****, what a great story, lets all get that purple hat on !! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.