Teachers to strike on 24th November

Home Forums National Chat Teachers to strike on 24th November

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    yummymummy

Razzle let me make a point……..I’m not saying every single public worker should have picketed……im talking about the ones who were scheduled to work that day!! The childcare statement is laughable really cos majority chose to strike so if they had issues with childcare they fecking brough it on themselves!!!!! I didnt get to stay off work cos the schools closed..I had to make other arrangements!!
    And the people could have picketed outside of their work place..no one is asking them to travel to dublin to do it…there WORK where they go to most days…….so therefore transport isnt an issue either!!!!

(I must say the last thing id want to do if i had to take the dayoff work would be to bring my son up the north to shop!!??!!! you’d want a hole in your head to do that)

And as far as I’m concerned these people chose to strike so therefore should have been on picket lines and not shopping with the money they are so called claiming they dont have much of cos the gonverment is taking it all off them!!!!!!

(not an attack on you razzle just dont agree with your points so its my opnion only ) 🙂

(not an attack on you razzle just dont agree with your points so its my opnion only )

No probs Yummymummy 😀

I appreciate that yesterday was much more difficult for people with children of school going age such as yourself and I do agree that there should have been a better effort to arrange pickets at school’s etc. I guess I was playing devil’s advocate…..I just wanted to point out that the public sector aren’t the bad guys…..the government are. I don’t think that we should forget that they’re the ones that got us all into this mess!

Bookwitch

Who do you know that was shopping up north while on strike. I don’t know them my husband was picketing at his workplace, his brother also and my cousin a paramedic at his workplace I don’t personally know anyone who was shopping. I work in retail in Drogheda and Last weekend we were swamped with customers. People have started their christmas shopping north and south.

SCole I agree yes when I say all taxpayers I mean public sector too if the government gave us the option of a pay cut or a tax hike both leaving my family with the same amount I would take the tax hike because all taxpayers have to contribute but what angers me is that the government will not consider this because they don’t want to tax the wealthy. They would rather a huge mass of peole struggling on low income as well as the huge numbers struggling on the dole rather than the few wealthy take some of the pain. Also it is not fair to have a man with a private sector job and a man with a public sector job both earning same amount and say that the man in the public sector must help the government and the man in the private sector should not.

scole1

it’s sickening really, the rich will always be rich and the poor will always be poor…sad really…..greedy is the main word to describe them….

MNG

Hi Girls,

yes i think the people who go on strike now are Selfish People
    i agree with rcole, say nearly 500 000 private sector people
    lost their jobs and ended up on the dole until now…..

How could they use the word "Nation" Strike?
    Shame on the union leaders and their selfish followers they are suppose to set a good example to the next generations. Union leaders is a past and pest these days they get salary from the gov and in return encourage disruption for the goverment. How can the economy be improved?
    is only selfish people that goes on strike Public sectors Dont they ever use the word Nation cos Private sector arent selfish like them.

they dont care about the private sector why mention Nation when they need to go on strike now? 😉

A country that needs to recover has to work as a country not as indivisuals selfishly in this crucial time.

Bookwitch

Subject: FW: From Sunday Tribune yesterday >
    Diarmuid Doyle –
    "The journey of the public service employee from> unambitious, unimaginative workhorse to shopaholic destroyer of an> entire economy has been a sight to behold"> As RTÉ viewers and readers of Irish newspapers will know by now,> public sector workers are the most evil, self-centred, lazy,> opportunistic, stupid, dishonest and vile group of individuals Ireland has ever known.> Their thievery knows no bounds and goes back generations. DNA tests on> a nurse from Enfield recently discovered she is a direct descendant of> a family of cruel kitten killers from the 1890s. Investigations into> the background of a teacher in Kilkenny revealed that wealthy> ancestors on his mother’s side used to stand outside the homes of> starving people during the famine, munching potato salad sandwiches> and feeding the leftovers to the local bird population. What else> would he do with that kind of history but look for a job in the public service?> But of all the insults perpetrated by public sector workers over the> years, perhaps the worst was their mass Christmas shopping outing to> Newry last Tuesday. Luckily, the media was around to uncover the> crime. The day of action, RTÉ confidently reported at lunchtime on> Tuesday, had led to an influx of public sector workers who had> abandoned their picket lines in search of cheap whiskey (they didn’t> quite put it like that, but it was clear what they were getting at).> It was an arresting image, no doubt, and one backed up by no evidence> whatsoever. I tuned into the Six-One News later in the day to see if> they were able to put any more meat on their story. Sadly, they were> not, although that didn’t stop them pushing an angle that was too attractive to abandon.> Three witnesses to the madness were interviewed. An Englishman who> didn’t work in the public sector thought the busier-than-usual> shopping day might have had something to do with the work stoppage,> although he didn’t seem sure. A shopper from Dublin who didn’t work in> the public sector thought a fellow over there might be in the public> sector, although there was no interview with the fellow over there to> confirm that suspicion. An elderly woman who didn’t work in the public> sector was sure she was surrounded by public sector workers, their> horns and pointy tails having completely given the game away.> RTÉ at least acknowledged that many of the people who arrived in Newry> on Tuesday might have been the parents of children who had the day off> (which, of course, was always the most likely explanation for the long> queue of southern-registered cars meandering towards the town).> Nevertheless the impression created, and amplified in the following> day’s newspapers,was that thousands of strikers had used their day> off – taken ostensibly on a point of principle – as an excuse to boost the economy of a foreign nation.> The unstated analysis: what would you expect from the people who> ruined the country?> The journey of the public service employee from unambitious,> unimaginative workhorse to shopaholic destroyer of an entire economy> has been a sight to behold. During the boom years, nobody worth their> salt would be caught dead working in the public service. Our> thrusting, creative, adaptable workforce demanded the freedom and> excitement offered by the private sector to express themselves> (whatever that means), win attention, secure promotion and earn lots> of money. By contrast, the public sectorwas looked on as a kind of> fusty fallback position for Denis and Denise Dullknickers, where they> could toil away unrecognised by anybody. Judged by the rules and> morality of the Celtic Badger, these people were unambitious, and therefore slightly weird, losers.> Now that the boom is over – wrecked mainly, let us not forget, by the> private sector – the public service has been reimagined as the modern> equivalent of Nero’s Rome. Denis and Denise have been tried and found> guilty of excesses likely to lead to a visit by the International> Monetary Fund. A country’s future depends on them being chastised for> reckless behaviour they were never aware of.> To those people in the private sector who insist on the demonisation> of public service workers, I would quote the great Roy Keane: Get Over> It. If the public sector was the fantastic land of opportunity you say> it is now, you could have joined at any point in your working past.> But you made a choice to go the private route, as I did, and as did> many of my colleagues who now so boldly lead the charge against the> public service. Try as I might, I can’t think of a single reason why> public sector workers should be held responsible for that choice.

newmomma

Very good Bookwitch – kinda sums it up nicely!!
    He forgot to add that those public service workers who worked 12 hour shifts in busy Childrens Hospitals weren’t paid for the pleasure and that some of those who were on the picket line were doing so in their own time….Shame on them…… 😕

Bookwitch

Absolutely and none of the strikers got paid!!

rcole

Very good, lets be honest the reality is that the majority of the people up North that day were parents of children who could not attend school due to the stoppage.

Just to be clear. The reason for the large ill feeling towards the public sector can be simplified in a couple of points.

Public sector workers are paid well. They are gaurnteed a job for life with adefined benifit pension. The majority of people believe they should be brought back in line with Private sector. If they can accept bench marking when things are going up why cant they accept it when things are going down.

Private sector workers were generally paid well. They have no job security, some have pensions which are contributed to by the employer but are rarely if ever defined benifit. The majority of people have recieved at least a 5% pay cut. 500,000 though have recieved a 100% pay cut.

Bookwitch

rcole just to refer to the other post not going to repeat all details of my husband’s salary but you can’t keep saying that all public sector workers are paid well only those at the top are.

rcole

Agreed not all are paid very well. Look at Brian Cowen as a classic example. His wages are about €250k If he was running a large mutli national company he could expect to recieve 6 or 7 times that at least.

But there are a lot who are paid very good wages and do very little for it.

Currently know of a case where four public sector employees are sitting in an office not doing any work at all as they lost there only contract. 2.5 years ago. They have not been made redundant and have to date refused three other job placements. Basically we have been paying there wages for 2.5 years while they sit in an office and do not one bit of work. Can you tell me how that works.

Bookwitch

obviously that is a disgrace and I’m sure that happens because of very poor organisation, the public sector grew very rapidly with liitle control during the celtictiger years. However my dh is in a situation where people have retired and are not being replaced, he is admin but 2 engineers have retired and that means the others are taking up the slack, because of the recruitment ban no-one else can be hired. The whole public sector needs to be reformed and yes it is overstuffed in many areas, but not all. My Mam is also public sector and she is swamped with work, she is family support so i suppose the recession means more people are looking for help.

rcole

Agree bockwithch, and these are the inefficency that they need to deal with. Just asked the question there if these four are the only ones. Was answered that there is probably 100 around the country in a similar situation.

Don’t disagree with you at all, go to any A&E in the country and tell me they are staffed effectivley.

Bookwitch

Absolutely we can certainly agree on that and now we will be charged even more to visit Aand E and wait for hours with sick kids

Taylor5

I have worked in both public and private sector…. I was so shocked as a CA in the National Lottery how crap my wages were and the yearly increments didnt add up to much, i then moved to work as a postperson in An Post the money wasnt much better but the chance of Overtime was fantastic and bumped up my wages….. i have seen how areas can be overstaffed and they just move staff about and find "made up jobs to keep them busy"
    This was offered to me after i damaged my back and couldnt work in my position again, I didnt take the offer but as I was a member of the public sector I got pensioned off at the age of 31 (I have a 17 year contrabution of a pension)

My dh is a private sector worker and one of the guys who went to collage with him took a job in a semi state company my dh had a good job was looked around before he took offers, it turned out my dh was paid 50% more then his friend in the public sector…. My dh has over the year taken a pay cut, he took a promotion and was asked to take a pay freeze, he is happy to do this just to secure his own job, up until a few weeks ago he was being told to let 3 or 4 lads go a week……… My dh and his collage friend are still working in the same type of jobs (private and public sector respectivly sp) and there is still over 30k a year difference in their wages…. no the lower paid worker is being asked to carry the can and take pay cuts…..

As a Union Rep for the CWU for years and years I suport the strikes, maybe i’d feel different if I had a child in school and i was in full time employment….

Yes 500k lost there jobs but thats not the fault of the much lower paid public sector workers…. seen a teacher on tv last week 900euro a forthnight 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 Im sorry but how could a family afford to survive on that? Now that guy is being told he is taking more pay cuts ontop of the pension levy… bullshit if you ask me

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.