solid poop at 5 weeks ??

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! solid poop at 5 weeks ??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey there

My little man was in a lot of pain last night and when i fed him at 2.30am and changed his nappy he had done a solid poop….is this normal at this age. I have him on aptimal formula the hungry baby one as the other one wasn’t filling him and the dr said to change up a gear. but hes been on this for 3 weeks now…all his other poops were watery or mustardy…
    This morning he had a runny ish one so im not sure what the story is..

Jedt
    Keymaster

It can change as they grow and it can change from different consistencies no matter what stage they are at. Are you giving him any drinks of water? that might help soften things for him,

also, try more baby massage on his tummy, that aids his digestion and should help too.

Don’t worry too much, I don’t think its very unusual for his age.

Taylor5

It sounds like the formula isnt agreeing with his system. I dont agree with babies being bumped up too quickly onto hungry baby food. It can take a few weeks to settle a baby onto formula, i find hungry baby food can bulk out babies and lead to overweight toddlers.
    The reps who we would have been in with us, would have said to increase feeds by an oz or two or feed 30minutes earlier before you even think about the hungry baby food.
    I find Cow and Gate the best formula on the market….

mammycool
    Participant

Both mine went onto hungry baby very quickly. My dd was 9lb 7oz when she was born and she was like a suck calf. Neither got overweight. In fact, when she had her development test around a year or so – the phn said she was underweight. She was heavier at that stage than ds had been but because she had such a high birth weight – they wanted her heavier. She was also walking – which dropped all the weight but they did not care about that.

I did find that when I switched to hungry they got a big bunged up for a few days – but then were off and running again. I gave them a bottle of water – so sugar necessary and this sorted them out.

munchin
    Participant

now see i’m going to say opposite to mammycool in that my two girls were 9lb and 9lb8oz born and I never used hungry baby on either of them. My phn was against hungry baby food unless absolutely necessary – said to up the volume in the bottle first before switching to hungry baby.

at end of the day you’ll get all sorts of conflicting advise from all angles – the best advise i was ever given on DD1 was to take all advise on board (people mean well ) BUT use what works for babs and you! Remember what works for one won’t always be the case for the next.
    We used exact same routines etc on both girls and yet dd1 was brilliant sleeper still is at 6yrs to the point if she wakes at night time i hop out of the bed thinking something is wrong BUT my other dd was a terrible sleeper she ate great, drank great, was a brilliant happy smily baby etc etc just didn’t need as much sleep as dd1 😉

mammycool
    Participant

They all have different opinions. On my ds, I kept upping the bottle and was down to feeding every two hours around the clock – nothing could fill him. I even went to giving a bottle of water as well – cos people suggested that he was not really hungry just liked sucking on the bottle. It was the phn that told me to switch and it worked for me.

The one thing to note though, if you stick to the hungry baby – you need to take him off it when you start to ween him as he needs to be hungry for food.

Taylor5

They all have different opinions. On my ds, I kept upping the bottle and was down to feeding every two hours around the clock – nothing could fill him. I even went to giving a bottle of water as well – cos people suggested that he was not really hungryjust liked sucking on the bottle. It was the phn that told me to switch and it worked for me.

The one thing to note though, if you stick to the hungry baby – you need to take him off it when you start to ween him as he needs to be hungry for food.

No your baby sounds like a hungry baby and needed the extra bulk… but if i had a euro for everytime a mum came in looking for hungry baby food just because the baby wouldnt settle etc… I find people jump to this food too quickly before trying the extra bottle. I had one mother looking for this food as she felt the baby would sleep longer at night, eh, No love! That wont happen 😆 😆 😆

chickpea

Thanks ladies…

all advise taken on board, but i ended up bringig him to the doctor and she said he was constipated..i just gave him water and its sorted him out thank god…on the other hand his belly button was really protruding and she said he has a hernia???? she said it should go itself by the time hes 2yrs..

hes 6 weeks tomorrow and hes averaging 22oz in a 24 hr time scale..he takes his first night time sleep no bother but from 3am hes a disaster..how many hrs should he be sleeping a day??

god i feel like such an idiot..i really havent a clue.. 🙁

Taylor5

That 3 or 4 am melt down is very common! They sleep fine during the day and they roar crying at night, some nights you feel at the endof your rope! My Ds1 would roar crying from 11pm till about 1am, this lasted for a week or two from about 5 or 6 weeks, but they do settle.

This might sound like a really stupid question, but do you change his nappy at the 3am feed? I found when my ds woke at 11pm if i changed his nappy he would be up for hours! I would lift him and feed in the dark, i used pampers and i would lash the Vaseline on on the last nappy change before bed. As soon as i stopped the nappy change he would hardly wake and settle really quickly. It took me a few weeks to figure this out….. Im kinda laughing reading your posts as its mad how you forget how things were on your first baby 😀

PS you’re not an Idot your a first time mum xxxx It will settle down. Regarding the sleeping durning the day, i would wake every 3 hours during the day and feed. I tried to bulk up on the feeds during the day…. babys sleep about 20 hours a day, but the 4 hours they are awake tend to be in the small hours of the morning 🙄

munchin
    Participant

oh yep if they’re going to be awake when they shouldn’t be you can guarantee it’ll be the middle of the night!!!!!!
    Far from an idiot missus – we were all the same!

pookie2

Babies go through various growth spurts when they feed like lunatics. I think of them is around 5-6 weeks. I was breastfeeding – but the same goes for bottle fed babies. It seemed like they had no sooner finished one feed than they were starting the next.

If he still seems uncomfortable when you finish your current box of formula, go back to previous one & see how that works.

Last guy was was very slow to put on weight & was advised by pedeatrician at the time (now he was 12 weeks ish) to feed him some watery baby rice from a spoon before bottle feeds. (is very easy to digest). In Germany etc very common for mums to add a little rice powder / semolina etc to a bottle to add some bulk. They advise against adding anything to bottles here, but when I challenged a PHN on it, she conceded that they gave that advice because some people were total eejits & would add all kinds of bizzare ingredients….

Jedt
    Keymaster

I was about to suggest water but the doc said it already. Little drinks of luke warm water are great for them at that age.

how is he now chickpea?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.