Sister inlaw advice on raising children

Home Forums National Chat Sister inlaw advice on raising children

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lemonB

My sister in law whos 24 and mother to a 1 year old son is every now and then giving me advice on how to raise kids. She’s a lovely girl no doubt abt that is just that I feel really offended when she does that.
    I have 5 sons ages 16, 13, 11, 3 and 4 month old…at this point I have seen it all….just earlier today she told my hubby that I should start teaching our 4 month old to sit and he told me in a nice way of course lol I felt my blood boiling with anger in an instant lol but I didn’t say anything.
    We don’t see her much as she lives in a different country so Im not very close to her, how to tell hubby that I dont need her advice as they’re very close and wouldn’t wanna cause a stir…

Jedt
    Keymaster

Let me get this straight. She has 1 child…..You have 5 children….and she thinks she can give you advice???

Uh, hello, if anyone should be giving advice it should be you!!!!!

I would smile and say thanks and let it wash over me. You know what you are doing at this stage and if she wants to dole out advice let her but that does not mean you have to take it.

And on a separate note, is a 4 month old not a little small for sitting up? Whatever about propping them up in a bouncy chair with a cushion, I am not sure about sitting them up.

Here is another idea….If she is so keen on giving advice and if your husband is so keen to take it, why don’t you suggest he takes her advice and does what she is suggesting? See how he likes being told what to do….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have a feeling my younger sister and sister in-law will pronounce these words in the coming years – "What you should’ve done…"

lemonB

Honestly I can not stand people telling me how to look after my kids lol and especially not someone who’s only just become a first time mother.

Jedt
    Keymaster

If she makes a suggestion again and your husband says its a good idea, suggest he does it. So lets say she was to recommend a baby yoga class, you say yep, that sounds great and nominate your husband to do it!!

Try to put the onus on him – then you don’t have to say anything to either of them and he’ll get fed up pretty quickly about being told what to do.

mammycool
    Participant

Ha – she probably reckons that she is an expert cos she got through the 1st year!!

I would say give yourself a good clap. Fair play to you for raising 5 kids. It is not an easy job and they have survived this far without any expert help.

I think kids start to sit up when they develop the muscles on their back as opposed to you teaching them.

munchin
    Participant

I’d either do as sabbi suggested and pass the buck back to hubby to try out her ideas or I’d calmly tell her that you appreciate her advise but come back to you when she’s had 5 kids! In saying that you don’t want to cause a row either so it depends on how close you guys are too

lemonB

I couldn’t keep it in and told hubby to tell her that she’s not qualified
    to give me advice on children lol if she doesn’t like it then too bad for her.

…and yes I agree, children start to sit when their body is ready to so and ladies believe me that the least of my worries lol.

By the time you have your 5th child you no longer notice every little thing. My son was born on time, healthy, a good size and he is developing as he should, he is such a happy boy….aww I feel warm inside thinking abt him as Im typing lol 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.