should i request a second scan???

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents should i request a second scan???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

hi everyone,
    im 22 weeks on my first baby so finding it hard to take in all the info!! absolutely loving the forums tho, u gals should get together a write a book :o)
    i had my scan in OLOL when i was 11weeks.
    Is this the only scan i will get for the entire pregnancy?? i have no reason to worry about anything, but should i request another scan, as we didnt see too much in the first one.
    would love some feedback as i have not got a clue :o(
    Thanks a mil.x

lyn11

I am not attending OLOL but I was given an anatomy scan at 22 weeks that checked the baby’s growth, spine, major organs etc. This seems pretty standard practice in Dublin hospitals, my sister is due to have hers in a couple of weeks. I was told this would be the last scan until babs is born as all was normal on that one, But have since developed gestational diabetes and so am scanned at every visit.

munchin
    Participant

i think every hospital is different – when i had my two girls 4.5yr and 2.5yrs – a dating scan at 11/13weeks was normal in OLOL – i wasn’t offered a routine second scan on either girl, though i do know that some hospitals routinely scan around the 20-24weeks.
    On my dd1 they did a second scan at 38weeks (to check size)
    and on my dd2 – i asked the consultant was i only getting the one scan and she said there wasn’t any reason to do a second scan but she sent me for one all the same.
    Congrats on pregnancy – enjoy

thanks a million girls.
    i might chance my arm and ask for one at the next scan, am sure itll depend on how busy they are.
    if they facilitate it, ill have to control myself asking the sex, iv agreed with my partner that we wouldn’t find out, but it the situation arose, there’s no knowing what i could do, heehee.
    will let you know how i get on.
    thanks again 🙂

happymumblemum
    Participant

Congrats Drogheda Mammy!

I am 19 weeks and also attending OLOL.

As far as I know , the usual is to get an anomoly scan at 20-22 weeks in most hospitals.

I have a had lots of scans as a problem was picked up at the first scan which has since turned out to have cleared itself in utero thank god.

I know you seek reassurance that everything is ok but trust me scans don’t always give youthe reassurance you need..trust in your body and your baby to progress as it means too.

If they offer you one then great but if they don’t then you have to decide whether you want to pay privately for one, maybe a good idea for you on the first baby if you are particularly nervous.

As for finding out the sex I didn’t on my first and the surprise was lovely but we found out this time round as we wanted to help dd bond with the bump and also to be more prepared buying stuff..when they told me it feels just like when you have given birth but earlier..so you have to decide do you want the surprise now or later?

We are telling people too and to be honest it can only be one or the other so not a major surprise either way, its not like its a choice between 20 different babies.. only pink or blue and thats it!!!! 😆

Best of luck and keep us updated..there are quite a few of us around the same dates Louth Mammy and Maria from these boards are due too in and around Jan/ Feb so if you need the support just shout x

Maria30

Congrats DroghedaMammy

I m 15 weeks pregnant and was offered a second scan at either 20 or 34 weeks. You should ask at your next hospital appointment or ring the scan dept the number is 041 9874769.

mammycool
    Participant

I think they do one around 22weeks in OLOL – they may be a bit behind but will do it.

Taylor5

If you express how your feeling, the consultant will give you a mini scan in the office, its not in any major detail, but i was happy with it

Jedt
    Keymaster

Congrats on your pregnancy!

We went to OLOL and they told not us they could not give us a second scan. We had suffered 2 miscarriages and wanted some reassurance so we decided it was worth going private for a second scan at 30 weeks.

Really there should be a check around 28 weeks for problems like placenta previa etc but unfortunately many hospitals will not offer a second scan anymore. This is not how it should be, mums-to-be should get scanned at least twice but with cutbacks, this is not always possible now. You can certainly ask for a second scan and you might get lucky but you may not get one, so for peace of mind, a private one might be an option.

We went to Babyscan in Swords, they were excellent. They spent 40 mins with us and we got loads of photos and a DVD and they took the time to answer all our questions.

I know times are tough but if you can afford it, this is a lovely thing to do.

Hope that helps.

oh my, ladies!!
    ive been completely bowled over by all the replies, it was my first proper post, so thank you all so much for your words of wisdom and an insight into your experiences!!!
    Thank god i’ve had nothing to cause me any worry!!
    my mam has told me ive had the easiest pregnancy she has ever seen, no sicknesses, pains, heartburn or anything else. . . . . .YET, ive probably jinxed myself now!!! 🙂
    will go with the flow at the next appointment, next thurs i think, and if they give me one it’ll b a bonus!!

ps. . . waht does the abbreviation ‘d’ infront of ‘ds’, ‘dd’ and ‘dh’ mean??? i’m v.confuzzled.xx

happymumblemum
    Participant

Hi Drogheda Mammy just popping back from our Jan/ Feb thread to help you out on abbreviations

d means darling or dear..so dh is darling husband, dd..darling daughter and so on and so on!

You will always get great responses on here all the ladies are a wealth of info and its great as its mainly local too!

Hi Droghedamammy,

Congrats on your pregnancy. I had a baby in OLOL (public with MLU) last year and I’m afraid only 1 dating scan is standard there unless position of placenta needs to be checked or they are concerned about something else in particular. If you are private you get more scans (I was private on my first and got three as standard) but you can always get a private scan if you really want another peek. Babyscan in Swords and Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock both do anomoly scans, 3D scans etc.

Anyway HTH and best of luck

Razzle Dazzle

pookie2

Do not expect a second scan at OLOL!!

Had 3rd baby there this year (others 2 & 4). Only one scan offered unless reason for a 2nd. Had a 2nd one with baby 2, as placenta seemed low, but not with other two. With baby three they could only scan me for first time at nearly 20 weeks, so went private There’s a place beside the pubic car park – the something clinic…. – that do private ones.

Maria30

DroghedaMammy,

I spoke to my sister, shes due the beginning of March and she wasnt offered a second scan so I think I m only getting one cos the placenta is a bit on the low side.

Great to see your having a trouble free pregnancy and hope all goes well at your next appointment

jacksmammy

hi congrats on your pregnancy 🙂
    i had my lil fella in OLOL ( hes 8months old now) and i only got one dating scan when i was 13wks preggers, i asked for another around 20-22wks n they told me i only get one, they only really give you another one if they’ve a reason 2 be worried!! told me if i wanted another one i had to go private!! my pregnancy was the same had no problems at all so hopefully it stays like that for you!!! 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.