School Uniforms – shop local!!

Home Forums Education School Uniforms – shop local!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This year, Mumstown is recommending Menswear Shop St. Drogheda for school uniforms. We have been going into Keiran for the past few years for school uniforms and here is why we want to give him a big recommendation:

1. They are a local business, employing local staff. By buying local you keep money circulating in our area, which is good for all of us.
    2. They carry school uniforms for 42 schools in Drogheda and its surrounding areas, including Laytown, Bettystown, Tullyallen etc.
    3. They are cheaper than the shops in Dublin that some schools recommend to parents, as their preferred uniform supplier.
    4. The uniforms are excellent quality and last really well (we have passed tracksuits and other items down between siblings over the past few years and they have really stood the test of time)
    5. Their customer service is very good. They do not try to oversell and if they don’t have what you need, they will do their best to get it for you.
    6. This year, they have started an embroidery emblem service. You can now buy a plain jumper or tracksuit from them and they will add on the school crest for just €3 extra. (If you bring a plain tracksuit or jumper from somewhere else, it will be €5 to have the crest put on, which we think is still very good value)

Menswear is on Shop St in Drogheda and you can call in for advice on uniforms or you can phone Kieran and the lads on 041-9836036.

Top marks from us for quality, prices and service.

Jedt
    Keymaster

It looks like a bit of a mad shop when you go in but they are so nice and helpful and their prices & quality are really good. Worth checking out if you haven’t before.

Yvonne

That’s very interesting to know about the crests! Good price.

chewieodie
    Participant

Sabbi….

Will our school accept the crests? Any idea?

I bought the tracksuits there a couple of weeks ago…. would only shop there, the chaps are very helpful.

Jedt
    Keymaster

The crests look perfect and I cannot see how it would be a problem. Its a great service for those of us on a budget or with more than one child who find it hard to pay so much for tracksuits!

Great little shop, so happy to give them a good recommendation

Jedt
    Keymaster

Our son is going to secondary school in September (how has the time gone so fast) and we are happy that Bestwear in Drogheda has started doing the uniform because the prices they are charging in the ‘recommended’ supplier are crazy.

Getting bits and pieces now so we don’t have to fork out a huge amount in August/September

who else has got started?

Yvonne

Have a few things got for school – DD is starting secondary too!
    I know Bestwear supply some of the uniform requirements for us – reminds me to call them to check the tracksuit price – the price we have for the school tracksuit is €85.50!!!!! Crest top, tshirt and bottoms – ridiculous!

So over all, her uniform to start her off will cost us about €200 – crested jumpers, crested school coat, pe bag…

shocking

munchin
    Participant

Christ I knew secondary school was expensive but 200 for uniform alone eeekkk I better get saving

I usually have started by now but a lot going on so it’ll have to wait until next month
    I have put aside money in a savings club for school books so as soon as I get the lists i’ll order the books but the rest will have to wait

Jedt
    Keymaster

That’s disgraceful Yvonne!

Our son is going to secondary school too and we have been told by his school that we have to order the uniform from their recommended supplier in Balbriggan and then we were told we had to pre-order the uniform by the end of May.

Well, they can feck right off! I am not being told by a school where I ‘have to’ order a uniform.

Parents are entitled to have a choice and I am buying the uniform from Bestwear in Drogheda instead. For starters, I don’t agree with one supplier who has a set price. Secondly, I didn’t even think about ordering it in May and thirdly, I am not paying their over inflated prices when Bestwear is a local shop with better prices.

We have to pay €50 for a locker, €150 for i-pad rental and then we have to take out our own private insurance on the tablet. Then there is a list of items he needs for school from calculators to books etc – so far, I’ve tallied it up to around €350 and I’m sure there are more expenses coming we don’t know about yet.

The cost of it….the stress….if I can save 30-40 quid by buying local uniform then I am 100% doing that. The cheek of them to tell us where to buy. That really annoys me!

Yvonne

I know in our primary school, the principal is trying to have only one supplier of the tracksuit that is crested as she wants them looking the same, which I can understand as one supplier we had before had a royal blue instead of navy and it didn’t look great.. but I think if schools want to insist on that they need to be cost effective.

I cannot get over the tracksuit price for secondary school.. €200 before we buy copies, bags etc is crazy.. and that’s not including the shirts, trousers or shoes!

allyj

I wonder if bests have the new green tracksuit bottoms for gaelscoil an bhradáin feasa. I’ll have to check with them. I would prefer to support local shops but unfortunately they didn’t have them last year so I ended up going to swords. Will try again this year though.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Yep allyj, they’re going to have them this year. I think they’re actually in already. I need to buy 3 of those myself.

He’ll have the Glor na Mara uniform soon as well and I’m waiting to get it there. I just don’t like being dictated to that we have to go to Balbriggan to McFaddens to be ripped off. My Mother used to loathe going there for my sisters uniforms but she had no choice, nowhere else did them so I am glad I actually have a choice now. My Mother used to pay €40 for a jumper and €60 for a jacket there – its outrageous.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Kieron in Bestwear on Shop St. in Drogheda has asked us to let all you mammies know that he now has the uniform and new tracksuit for Gaelscoil an Bhradain Feasa in stock, in all sizes! Happy BTS shopping!

I pickedup the green bottoms yesterday Allyj, so they are in stock now and in all sizes.

HTH

Jedt
    Keymaster

Bestwear in Drogheda have the new Glor Na Mara uniform in stock now 🙂

I’m bringing my fella in today for his jumper & jacket. Taking a teenager shopping….not fun!!!

But better than driving to Balbriggan and paying more for it 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.