School Places for Sept

Home Forums National Chat School Places for Sept

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

Dont get me wrong I have prayer under ds mattress, have holy water in the house, relics in my wallet and prayers/holywater in the cars. Im even looking out for a good childrens bible as I read the bible to ds and he loves the stories (he loves you reading to hiim and would be happy with the phonebook)
    I just dont like the idea of getting children christened just for the sake of it and it what expected, or being force into just to get a school space. It really bakes my noodle that people stand on an alter before christ and say they will bring there child up in a christian way then have their big party…… and the child never sees the inside of a church untill communion day 👿 👿 👿 You can teach a child good christian values, like being kind to other and that a % of your wealth should be given to charity and less off.

Rant really over

noeleenw

i was never asked for a baptismal cert for my 2 , and there are kids in the school who didnt make their communion or confirmation maybe the laws are being eased a bit

Taylor5

Thank God for that. Im sure all schools are different, but I was told to bring it to congress Ave school as parish kids get a place before children from outside the parish….

Moonflower

Totally agree with what you are all saying……..especially the christening/communion issue…….we shouldnt be made to do this by family pressure or just for the excuse to have a big party…….I have been to a few christenings where the child who was christened was sent home after a few hours with babysitter and parents had big boozy party!!!! 🙄

Taylor5

The thing that gets me is that Ireland isnt the catholic country it used to be, yet the schools and hospitals dont seem to have noticed this fact. I feel very sorry for all the non-nationals trying to make "catholic Ireland" their home…. If we are still catholic ireland why are our churches half empty.
    moonflower the party thing would be an Irish thing, any excuse for a knees up, most parents make the most of the grannies or babysitters. I cant understand how they kids never see the inside of the church for year!
    Arrrrgggghhhhh its a pet hate of mine "a la carte Catholics"

Canucklass

Taylor the term "non-nationals" is not a nice one for us "non-Irish"
    Makes me feel displaced 😆

I do like ala carte Catholic. I think that can be used for many religions. I am guilty of it a few times over – United Church of Canada, Presbyterian Church of Canada and Church of England 😳 😳 😳

Moonflower I am with you on the boozy after party. Kinda foriegn to me too. We had a quiet lunch after dd’s christening and Blessing – boring I guess. 😆

Sweetpea

I made enquires in the two local school near me here and both looked for baptisim certs 😕 It will be along time before you will shake ole ireland in to the 21st century 🙄 🙄 …. unfortunately

noeleenw

you know when you go to casualty and your booking in they ask you your religion – why? Was at my consultant last week and was asked this too and also my mothers maiden name and my mother in laws maiden name – i couldnt remember hers 😳 until i got home whats the point of these questions

Canucklass

maybe they ask in case your religion would dictate the type of medical treatment you could receive in case of emergency ie blood transfusions etc etc This is why they would ask at home.

Who knows eh? 😀 Makes you want to answer with super sarcastic questions like Satanism etc. 😆 😆

noeleenw

i can understand that but the mother and mother in laws maiden name 🙄 🙄

Canucklass

yeah i don’t have suggestions for that 😆

security maybe 🙄 seems very ridiculas.

Taylor5

Satanism 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 Brilliant

Canucklass sorry didnt mean "non Irish" I meant "non nationals" like refugees or asylum seekers,they are here to try find a safe place to raise their kids then they hit all sorts of red tape, no wonder why they think we are racist.
    Maybe the term non nationals is overly used in Ireland for refugees

Taylor5

I think they ask you your religion in case you wish to see the chaplin or need the last rites…. MIL maiden name, havent a clue

Canucklass

I don’t think the Irish gov’t is allowed to use the term "non-nationals" anymore as it was deemed inappropriate by the EU. Everyone has a nationality regardless of political situation. Even I get called a non-national.

My dd isn’t entitled to Irish citizenship either which isn’t an issue in reality but it does make you think about it. Nightmare if your political situation as you say prevents these families from claiming theirnationality for their children.

ahem sorry didn’t mean to drag out the soapbox 😆 😆 😆

Moonflower

Very interesting reading everyones views……glad mine aren’t as unusual as Dh would of led me to believe at one time……when i mentioned about Ds going to a non catholic school…….his first words were ……where will he learn his prayers?? i said it should be our job to teach him his prayers and if we choose to have him christened it is our job to make sure he goes to church not the school………

Taylor…….. Ds has a lovely little set of bible stories and first prayers…..i did actually choose it for him 😯 😯 and we will be reading it together as i am not totally anti religion just it being forced on anyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.