School Places for Sept

Home Forums National Chat School Places for Sept

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi anyone else heard about their place for Sept. We got offered Le Chéile this week and i am completely shocked. Was at the open evening on Monday and was convinced they hadnt a chance. So absolutely delighted as i was beginning to panic. Cant believe they are starting school in Sept, but they are so excited, i have a get selection of books about going to school/swimming/holidays etc and they have really gotten into it. They want to know what colour they will be wearing. Le Chéile dont do uniforms but i think i’ll get them a set of tracksuits so that the associate this with school.
    Next thing is trying to organise the logistics. There is no private bus to Le Chéile so we have to apply to Dept of Education to get them on the bus list. If your home is 2.1 miles from the school door to door you can qualify for free bus. Unfortunately the bus will only bring them back to your estate where we need them to get to Peter Pan. Trying to sort things out with our jobs now DH looking at starting work at 5am and finishing at 1 in order to collect them from school so we will have no childcare costs for the 1st time in 5 years. God when i add it up we have spent about €65k in the last 4 years on childcare. God what u could buy with that.

Moonflower

Great news they got into Le Cheile…I have my Ds down for 2010, but he is about 15 outside the numbers for the year……so am hoping so much he gets in………do you know what number you were on waiting list?

Taylor5

Moonflower when did you put M’s name down for school? I have ds’s name down since he was 1 or younger, I have him down for 2010 and the girl never said anything about where he was on the list, she said I’d get a letter in the spring before he would be due to start school.
    Should I ring and see where he is on the list?

Moonflower

Hi Taylor,

put him down when he was about7mths old and she said he was just outside numbers, so maybe your DS is inside numbers, if she didnt mention it…….my DS is in the 60’s and they only take 40 something…..but she said his name will go down the list even further if any child defers from previous year and they were on list b4 DS…so no guarantee at all really that he will get in 🙁 …….just have to hope that some people changetheir minds or move out of area who were down b4 him…..

Its something that plays on my mind as I am not Catholic and am not keen at all on the religious aspect being so installed in the children at a young age and the segregation of boys and girls…….but theres nothing I can do about it……….do wonder if we may have to go back to uk if he doesnt get a place…….but we will have to wait and see, wherever he ends up going will be where is is meant to be………

scole1

i have ds name down since he was a bab, she said that he was just outside the quota…but moonflower don’t loose hope now, really people put their kids names down for a few schools and wait until they’re accepted to their favorite one, i have his name down for about 4 schools but have 2 i’d like him to go to the gaelscoil & le cheile same sort of ethos in both very community based and parents are encouraged to get involved which is nice…..

Taylor5

Moonflower did you put his name down for the church of Ireland school in Drogheda, all the girls at the playgroup send their kids there and its meant to be a great school.
    Im going to ring them tomorrow to find out where he is on the list, I bet ds is outside the numbers. If you put ds down a 7 months… there isnt that much age difference between them.
    God Im starting to panic now 😯 😯 😯

Does anyone know how much it is to send kids to the grammer school or Gormanstown school (dont really want to send there as its 6 days a week) and how soon do you need to put names down for secondary schools?

scole1

i rang when booking ds in for primary the grammer school said that they wouldn’t take names yet for secondary considering it’ll be 2018 when he would start there she laughed and said you’re very keen but don’t panic we take names when they start primary school…..dunno how much…..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I dont know anythng about where there names where on the list. When i went to the open evening there were loads of parent taking about where there kids where on the list and i didnt have a clue. They didnt give out the details on the nite, but i think you can ring the school sec & she might give you an indication. I honestly cant remember when i out there names down, i kept a copy of the form but never put a date on it.
    Now all thats left to organise is secondary school 😆

Moonflower

Is that St peter’s in Drogheda? Heard thats very good and spaces are even more limited…….

Its terrible we have to be so organised and worrying like mad already……I just keep telling myself that my sis had same problem in england, she was outside catchment area for a good school….and ended up having to send her boys elsewhere…..it was teh best thing she ever did, they are doing great……so just shows we shoudl really not be worrying like this but……….

he is down for 2 other schools and within numbers there I believe…..the irish school sounds one of the best and I know a few parents who have already started their children there are very happy with it……but again as I have no knowledge of Irish I dont like the idea of not being able to get involved with his school work, so he is not down for that one…..

Apparently there is a very good Grammar school in Dundalk that children from Drogheda can get train to……so thats another option for years ahead 🙄

scole1

moonflower, your ds will be learning the irish for the first time so you will learn with him so i wouldn’t panic about that, they also offer a support to parents to keep up to date…and sure there’s always people here that can help ya too so really i wouldn’t just factor that out of that….

Moonflower

ummhhh…Scole……..I am not so convinced……but I know you are right and there would be help available……I am not sure myself about the Irish………now if it were a spanish school or French then would consider as feel these languages would benefit him more in the long term — oh god I know some are going to feel like shooting me for saying this as it is all about heritage etc 😳 ……his cousins go to Irish schools and the whole family have changed their name to the Irish spelling and the children speak in Irish to each other at home……. 🙄

Taylor5

OMG Moonflower I cant believe you said that about Irish 😯 ………………………………………….only joking 😆 😆 😆

My dh is the very same, I’d love to send him to Irish school but Im so crap at Irish.

My cousin married a girl from England, they sent their boys to Irish school and she studied Irish with them, she went on to do Irish in her leaving cert

scole1

you go with what you think is right….tbh i never thought hey it’s the heritage thing but thought that would be great for him small classes ethos like le cheile and very communty based…my hubby english moved over when he was 9/10 never did irish before his nan used to teach him a few words when she’d be visiting like trasna na bothar – cross the road…and other stuff but he did irish when he moved over and was at a loss as he hadn’t grown up doing it and he picked it up fine, he did better than his brother who is 17 months older than him…..

but hey you do what you this is best…we’re not trying to force ya just in case ya think we are….

Taylor5

I did it all my life and Im craaaappppp at it

Anonymous
    Inactive

i would be worried either, mine learn an new Irish word every week at montessori. They know all of the colours in irish, how to ask to go to the toilet, how to count in Irish, its brilliant. I bought a book last week your first words in Irish, its amazing how much you forget from school. I could even remember how to pronounce some of the words. I think times have changed since we were in school, Peig is gone for one thing & the learning/teaching environment in the Gaelscoil seems to be diffierent and fun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.