School Places for Sept

Home Forums National Chat School Places for Sept

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Canucklass

Oh and do you have to pay for school here?

Thanks girls 😳 😳 😳

scole1

not unless you send them to private school most schools ask for a voluntary contribution could be about 100 euro a year to cover arts and crafts materials….if they need anything throghout the year they’ll ask like school trips getting milk etc in school or whatever…..when comes to secondary school the same applies….

Canucklass

Ok that is ok and normal.

So Drog Grammar is a private school ah ok. DH said we would send her to private school 😆

Moonflower

And we have to buy all books and writing material here, in uk all is free…..all books supplied and all equipment to write with..ie child given a pencil and exercise book etc…

So does tend to add up……such a shame as schools are very good here…..

my nephews were not baptised and were given a place in donacarney school but there was pressure to be baptised and take their communion…..so their father who is a non catholic eventually agreed due to pressure from children and school…… 🙁 so even though they may be offered a place in parish school some can be very religion based and may lead to a child who is not of that faith feeling excluded especially when the whole class makes communion apart from the rare few…………

🙁

the school fees for the grammar school seem quite reasonable…….there was a lovely little private school in Navan that one of our freinds sent their child too……I dont think the fees were that high not compared to uk private schools……if there was similar over this way i would be so tempted to ask DH but dont think he would agree as he couldnt get his head around why his friends sent their little one to the private school…..

Taylor5

The Grammar school prices are very good, can you claim taxback on school fees?

Anyone know how much Gormonston school is? The only thing that turns me off Gormonston is that they do a six day week 😯

Canucklass

Well dh and I have alot to talk about. Thanks moonflower.

This might be my bargaining card 😉

Taylor5

Canuck all primary schools are free, well just a small fee in some. The cost of the schools we are talking about are secondary ones

Canucklass

but you need to apply for a primary place do you not?

the cost isn’t the issue for us right now.

Canucklass

can someone outline in brief the levels and ages of school here for me?

thanks! 😀

posie

Taylor I think that Gormanston is about 5K a year, but I’m not 100% sure. That covers everything though – all sports – they have a swimming pool and 9 hole golf course etc. It coverstheir lunch and dinner every day and extra tuition if needed. If you are interested it’s worth putting your DS namedown now as it will stand to him when the time comes. My nephew’s name has been down since he was 6 months old!!!

Cannuck – most children start school when they are about 4/5 depending on their date of birth. C will start when he is 4 and 3 months unless I think he is too young and I can start him the following year.

I have a mental image of him in a school uniform and feel weird 🙄

joey_rudd

My children aren’t christened into any religion and are not going to be just to get into a school……thats just crazy!
    at this rate my lot won’t get into any school because i haven’t got their names down for any yet!
    better get a move on.

Taylor5

Joey sorry to tell you, but thats a sorry fact of Irish schools. Most State schools are still run by the parish preist and when putting their names down your told you will need to bring a batisim cert when the final list for the relevant year.
    I will stand corrected but as far as I believe thats how it still stands in all state funded school, you would imagine things would have moved on as we are a multi culture Ireland 🙄

I did get ds done yet, as I feel very strongly about standing by my covictions, I dont believe in just doing things cause your expected to. I would only christen my son if I know I could give 100% and be active and make the choice wholehearted, I HATE the idea that wanting to send my child too school or what school I want him in will be forced on me due to religion
    Sorry for the rant, it just touches a nerve

joey_rudd

yeah you try to bring your children up the way you believe in but there are still people around that have ways of forcing you to do what they want you too
    you’d think that it would of moved on by now

Taylor5

Joey I get it from the two grannies (both as bad as each other) if I had a penny for every time Im asked if Im going to "do something about it"

Heard my mil say that if a child dies without being christened they will be locked in limbo for eternity! She was talking in general so I let is slide, if she had of said ds name I would have been fit to be tied

joey_rudd

My mam keeps trying to bless my children with holy water because they aren’t christened…my granny refused to call a child by their names it wasn’t baptised first!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.