Reading slump

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pip03
    Participant

I’ve been in such an awful reading slump for the last few years.. And I hate it, however 2 books that ive been bet into the last few weeks ,

The seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo.. By Tara Jenkins Reid
    This was a fantastic book.. and I honestly couldnt get enought of it..

Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?
    Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a mesmerizing journey through the splendour of old Hollywood into the harsh realities of the present day as two women struggle with what it means and what it costs to face the truth.

ATM I am reading No one saw a thing By Andrea Mara

No one saw it happen.
    You stand on a crowded tube platform in London. Your two little girls jump on the train ahead of you. As you try to join them, the doors slide shut and the train moves away, leaving you behind.

Everyone is lying.
    By the time you get to the next stop, you’ve convinced yourself that everything will be fine. But you soon start to panic, because there aren’t two children waiting for you on the platform. There’s only one.

Someone is to blame.
    Has your other daughter got lost? Been taken by a passing stranger? Or perhaps the culprit is closer to home than you think? No one is telling the truth, and the longer the search continues, the harder she will be to find…

Both very good books to get in if you are also in a reading slump

Sabbi
    Participant

Ooh, No One Saw a Thing sounds right up my street! I’ve been reading loads lately – thanks to all that fipping rain. Here are some of my face books from past while:

Beth OLeary – Flatshare, this was made in to a TV show for Amazon Prime and the show is great but the book is fabulous. I adored this. Rom com but with a twist or two. Not at all wishy washy, really great characters. (Her other 2 books, The Switch and The Road Trip are also well worth a read)

The best book out now, IMO is the new Steve Cavanagh, ‘Kill for me, Kill for you’. It’s #1 in book sales atm. He is most fantastic writer. He’s Irish and his books, though set in the US, are packed with wit and humour I think only an Irish author can muster. The Eddie Flynn series is absolutely unputdownable. There are 6 or 7 of those in the series – you can actually but them as a box set and they are worth it. My fave of the series is The Devils Advocate – the bad guy is so so so very bad. It is chilling and thrlling. You can get these from the library too and there is a cool library thing now called Borrow Box, where you can borrow the books online to read on your kindle/tablet/ipad.

Arlene Hunt is another great crime/thriller writer. Her early books are amazing, Black sheep is so good! I also love Last to die, this is brill. Such a thrilling read.

Another fave writer of mine if Stuart Neville, his first book ‘The Twelve’ has won so many awards. Set in Northern Ireland against the aftermath of the troubles, it is a spooky, thriller. One of the best books I’ve read in the past 10 years (and I read alot!)

Hope some of them give you ideas to get you back into reading….

hotmama
    Participant

I’m going thru a true crime reading spree right now. I’ve been reading Ann Rule’s The Stranger Beside me’ and I swear, I couldn’t sleep after it some nights. Its about this woman, Ann Rule who was really good friends with Ted Bundy. She knew him cos they worked on a helpline together, helping people with mental healh cirses and little did she know he was murdering women all over the country. They were close friends for years. It is just an incredible book. You can tell she is not just cashing in. she really thought he was a good man, someone who helped people. its incredible, its quite a few years old but I think it sold millions of copies, its unreal, I cannot stop reading it!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.