Price of Ferries

Home Forums Louth Chat Price of Ferries

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sunshineorla

WE bought a cheap caravan last year and we were planning to take it on hols to france this year. We thought that we could have lots of cheap holidays and travel around, great craic. We have just seen the price of ferries to france…for our teeeny tiny, fr. ted caravan and car it’s about 1,300-1,500 euro. Thats crazy. That is for 4 adults and a toddler, but holy hell you could fly us all there for less than half that. Why are the ferries so expensive? It’s like ransom money because they know you have no other way of getting your car to the continent.
    Am I the only one shocked at the prices? Oh and If you are thinking of caravanning as a cheap holiday option, the campsites can go up to about 45 euro per night in France, although that type would have lots of facilities. Prob work out ok for a large family, not that anyone is having them anymore! :lol:
    Anyone any cheap options for getting to france?

rcole

Hi There,
    Have travelled a bit by ferry to several different locations and the prices can be expensive, but there can be ways around it as well.
    Last year I booked a ferry from Roslare to Fishgaurd.
    With Stenaline.ie it was coming in at something like €380.
    Searched one of those coupon websites with google and got a 10% code, did this as well with the Irish site and with the 10% it was €380.
    Then tried Stenline.co.uk and with the discount it cost €230.

Sounds mad I know booked the same holiday via the UK site and it was crazy how cheaper it worked out.

Your travelling and if it is the travel you are looking forward to there are options. You could go to Holyhead and travel down to Dover and go via the train or ferry to Callais for a bit cheaper, but you will have to weigh up how it will work out with petrol / diesel as you will be towing.

What makes the ferry dear to France from Ireland is that you have to have a cabin and that bumps the price right up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi as a regular ferry traveller to france it also depends on the time period that you want to go and the quality of the accomodation that you select. The main 2 ferry companies are Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries and i believe a new one being advertised is celtic ferries i think? There is a huge difference between the prices in July and early august than the rest of the summer months. We normally pay about €850 for the ferry for the 4 of us, 2Adults & 2 Children for the last 2 weeks in August. This year we are extending the holiday and travelling a few days earlier so this has brought up the cost this year to €1020. Still cheaper than flying and hiring a car for 2 1/2 weeks.
    I would really recommend Campling LeLittoral in Les Sables D’Lonne we have gone there the last 2 years and this year we are travelling a lot further south and are going to ptich a tent there for a night to break up the driving. It really is cheap when you get there. We usually bring €2k, spend about €300-€400 on wine to bring back, €400 on clothes/sports wear and usually come home with a couple of hundred.

munchin
    Participant

just a thought is the cost anything to do with having the van as opposed to the car. it would seem that rcole & lai prices refer to car prices????
    I know we travel back and forth to england and now with 2 kids it works out handier and pretty much same cost to go in the car instead of flying but I know when booking they do ask for size of the vehicle?

Anonymous
    Inactive

yes muchin you would have to pay that bit extra if you were towing a caravan, if you think that it is taking up 2 car spaces ifkwim

sunshineorla

Yeah think there is a huge difference between the car price and the car with caravan price, even when its in the smallest bracket. Was looking at the cheapest cabins onboard.
    Have thought about going through england and I think it’s a bit cheaper. A good few years ago we went that way in a camper van and as kids in the back of my Dad’s Hiace (I kid you not) and to be honest I dont really fancy doing it again.
    I will check out that site. We are going to head down the west coast as far as Bordeaux area to visit a friend.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm, the wine sounds good 😆 😆

Taylor5

Would you need a cabin? Could you not sleep in the caravan on the Boat?

sunshineorla

You have to book a cabin both ways, it’s mandatory. We looked at the cheapest one. Dont think you are allowed near your car once you are parked up. Good thinking ouside the box/ cabin though 😆 😆

munchin
    Participant

taylor you’re not allowed onto the car/van deck once the ship is sailing – the amount of times we’ve brought a packed lunch and left it in the car 🙄 😆

Taylor5

How come Jemery Clarkeson is allowed 😯 😆 😆 😆 back in the old days my dad would sleep in the cab of his truck

Seen in the paper yesterday a car and 2 passengers to wales one way 99 euro! Very good price..

rcole

They don’t like you in the car deck in case something happens.
    A lot of truck drivers I know will sleep in there cabs on a short crossing.

They are in there own beds and in terms of sea sickness it is the best place to be, they are lower in the boat and generally in the centre which means less roll and movement.

However for a trip to France can’t remeber exactly but think it is a 12 hour sailing. So you kind of need to go upper deck to eat and indeed sleep. The sailing is through the night.

JMum

Just noticed while I was in Tescos the other day that if you have €10 worth of clubcard vouchers you can claim €40 off Irish Ferries or Stena Line fares. Don’t know if there is a cap on this offer but it was in the clubcard deals leaflet at the checkouts. Hope that helps.

Fabienne

I used it few times but the fare you get with clucard deals is higher than online but if you have all the points saved it worth it. Need to call to know how much it will be.

sunshineorla

Thanks for the tips girls

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.