lonely SAHM………in Dundalk……

Home Forums National Chat lonely SAHM………in Dundalk……

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    joey_rudd

i moved house two months ago and my mam hasn’t been near the house yet, she came to the hospital everyday when i went in to have babs but won’t come up here, its not that far away…its crazy!
    then she asks why i haven’t been up to visit
    i won’t be in a hurry to visit her when they move in a few months see how she likes it then 😆

ciarac

just a quick post girls, have to get lunch ready for dd, thanks for all the helpful replies, coffee morning sounds GREAT!
    joeyrudd, mothercare in newry can get the stock for you if you want the buggy. I would only be too delighted to go up there and get it for you, you can ring them and pay over the phone and they will ring when its in, they are really really helpful there. Otherwise maybe ebay?? although delivery probably make it v expensive.

Sweatpea, you havne’t been to the marshes! oh any excuse! my dd loves going there for her baby hot choc in costa coffee (which she calls her coffee!) and her choc muffins, they have highchairs and its great good bit of room for buggies! come on up! is there anywhere in the marshes, was looking the last time i was down, as in the 2 total times I was there!!! and couldn’t really find anywhere for her and me, and now its her, me and ds!!!! who HATES shopping……. 😡 typical man, he screams going shopping, have resorted to going with my phil&tec double buggy so 2are strapped in and getting a few things in a basket and killing myself with the weight of the bags after….aggghh 😥

Happymumblemum, have tried speaking to my dh to explain, but he doesn’t really understand and now is a bad time for him, his dads 2nd anniv was yesterday, mass tomo, his death was v sudden, so brings back a lot of bad memories……
    but yes, am willing to meet anyone anywhere!!!! Although it will prob be after xmas at this stage with everywhere being so mobbed and everyone being so busy.
    mashimarogirl, singapore, its fab! was there this time 5years ago on my honeymoon!!!! oh to be there now…………………. 😉

anyway one good thing happened this week! I won the voucher for the Coach rest. in Bettystown, couldn’t believe it!!! anyone been there?

happymumblemum
    Participant

ooh you lucky thing wining the voucher havent been but it sounds fab 😆

Sorry to hear for you dh loss but you may be surprised if you sat and had a chat…….

Joey you mentioned about somewhere to go to relax which is buggy friendly for coffee astro tots do a great coffee morning on wednesdays from 11 its only 4 euro and there is loads of free pastries and tea and coffee plus play area and loads of buggy space maybe we could organise meeting there everyone who is interested????

Used to enjoy s.h coffee morning but it is more suited to ladies with small babies as the older kids get bored……..

ciarac

free pasteries…………….. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm now that sounds dangerous!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

where is astro tots? sounds like a great idea, as you said for toddlers they will only last so long in a coffee shop, before " I ready to go" is announced, and that means NOW!

Oh we have chatted, and dh wants me to get out more, he knows that I do feel lonely but as I have explained to him, its can be so hard with all the timeclock you are against all the time.
    but hopefully after this I will get out more, sure will just have to move to Drogheda!!!

BTW, I am not a loser or anything! 😳 😳 I know I sound like a saddo etc not having much friends etc, its just the way things have worked out, but I am not a pyscho!!!!!!!!

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone

rossylisa

😆 😆 ah ciara no one thinks your a saddo i dont have many friends living in drogheda all my friends and family are in dublin and it does get lonely ( hence why im always on here 😆 ) but take Hmm up on the offer for the astro tots there is a few others that go to

my dd is a bit to old for it so i dont go ..to any of the mother and toddler groups

joey_rudd

thanks ciarac for the offer to go up to newry to collect a double buggy for me it was a nice offer for someone you just know on here 🙂
    i’ll check and see if i can get one sent there and i’ll see if i can get my inlaws to collect it seeing as they go up every few weeks, it would really help to have one so i can get out more ( hate being confined to the house)
    I’ll have to try the m&t group in astrotots soon, anything that tired out the kids is v welcome 😆

EJ

Hi There, just reading through this, and I have to say CiaraC that it actually shows great confidence that you’ve let everyone know your situation, and how you feel. I’m a WAHM, and a blow in here too, am from Skerries and most of my friends dont even have any kids, and just dont get it that you’re not being unsociable, and its not that you dont like their company, but you just cant get away as easy, and Drogheda, or Dundalk is just not convenient for them to go out and get home in a night. The same way its hard for me to get to and come home from Dublin. My siblings are all young, one sister has a baby of her own, one sister is gone to Oz and the other will come up and babysit with the BF, and stay over, but I haveto pay! My folks think its such a long drive to come up, even if I offer a lovely dinner! My DH is from South Dub, and there is no hope of a babysitter from that side. I have found a nice local girl who is great, but she’s in college now, and has the social life that goes along with that.

In other words I understand your predicament, it is hard, especially with young kids and a busy husband, it is importand to spend time alone, as a couple, chatting and making your life plans, etc. Do make sure he knows how you feel, not that you blame him, or that you need him to dig you out of your situation, but so that he can lend an ear to you, and you can work out something together. Perhaps setting by a family only day – even once a month to begin where you do stuff as a family – no work, no phone calls, just fun!

EJ

MissyG

hi ciara,

i read your post & i could have swore it was me talking!!!! i know exactly how you feel. my family live in dublin & to me it might as well be the moon! my folks & i are extremely close & i’m an only daughter – no sisters to have a moan & chat to. cos i’m deaf i can’t even pick up the phone to hear people’s voices so i try not 2 dwell on that & i use my mobile for texts & of course my laptop (my best friend!) for emails & MSN, bebo etc etc etc…
    i’m a sahm mum too since earlier this year cos my dd was diagnosed as being deaf too so i’ve done the right thing in making that decision. it also benefits my ds too. however, i have to say its a HUGE shock to me having worked full time for years & "having a life" – i know it sounds terrible but it is extremely difficult to get used to & i’m trying to keep in contact with friends etc but they all live in dublin too.
    i have managed to get out now & again but its difficult with only one wage coming in & a mountain of bills to pay!!!! 🙁
    all i can say is you’ve got off to a fantastic start by joining up with mumstown & although i haven’t actually met any mums personally YET – i look forward to the day i do!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂
    i’m in bettystown but i can meet up with you for coffee & chat if you like. no probs!

missyg

Moonflower

Isnt it amazing how so many of us feel the same, so cut off from family and friends and it takes a post on here for us all to admit that its normal to feel this way and so hard to change things while our children are so young.

In the old days everyone was always in and out of each others houses for tea and support and close neighbours always seemed to be much more like extended family ( i have lots of old neighbours that i call aunty so and so etc due to them being close friends of my mum) but nowadays we seem to be turning into such private people and also more of us are out working and many feel so lonely. Mumstown is the modern way to offer tea and sympathy and friendship…..but its also nice to meet up for real as well!! 🙂

Where i used to live, i made friends with my neighbours who were all very old, and i still visit them now, and they say we were like a breath of fresh air moving into the road, as we were so open and friendly to them….the new people who moved into our house havent even said hello!!

Taylor5

Moonflower I know how we were with the neighbours growing up, if there was ever a problem it was "run and get Joan" At the drop of a hat the neigbhours would be willing to help or mind kids etc… It was a time when people cared.
    I dont allow my neighbours into my house, well only one of two. I find alot of my neighbours very nosy… well there is a few who are close and they are real gossips, I keep them at arms lenght as its all "oh where did you get that?" or "What does you dh work at?"….. "Oooooh, he must be well paid!!" (I wish 😆 😆 😆 )
    Thats why I keep to myself, I have had a few mter in my house and I dont mind as they dontlive near, I just hate all that in and out of each others houses everyday…. I do talk to all of them but I dont have them in my house 😳
    God I sound like a weirdo 😆 😆 😆 😆

ciarac

Taylor, you don’t sound like a wierdo!!!
    Do you agree that the majority of people think, oh she is a SAHM that the hubby is rich, she is lazy,etc…… most of my neighbours would be oldies who know me as The Girl from Galway…
    sorry babs roaring will be back……..

Moonflower

I know what you both mean, i dont like it if i think someone is coming in to see what we have, but anyone who comes into my house will see that what we have is what we have got and I now take your advice Taylor, and stop apologising for my stairs 😳 I like to take people as they are and not judge so i like people to do same with me…..

Maybe people are more gossipy than I realise, i did have a bad experience with a couple of neighbours in the past, but when they got to know me, I think they felt very guilty for things they had been saying…..we should all not try to judge books by covers……thats always my motto and if anyone wants to visit me they are always welcome (may have to put up with a few dog hairs, toys, and the odd cup left around) and i promise not to come and snoop through your drawers should i visit you.

Anyway i dont want to get off the topic, I just believe the reason so many of us are so lonely nowadays is because neighbours do tend to keep more to themselves, more so than they did in the past and if this is because of the nosy gossipy thing then we need to look at ourselves and stop judging others by what they have, this isnt meant to anyone personally just as a general view on all of our generation…..

Moonflower x

ciarac

MissyG Yes, you are right, you have done the right thing staying at home with your dd, she will benefit hugely from you being with her. I would say it would be hard to get a creche/childminder who is going to pay her special care if she is deaf etc, at least you can start signing etc with her. Must be hard on you both, esp as you say you can’t pick up the phone anytime, but yes, texts email are great, TG, I would be lost without them!!! if you feel like a trip up to "lovely" dundalk, come on up too!!!

Moonflower, yes, its very true, neighbours keep to themselves, sure you don’t even know half them too!!! when I moved here first, I got, oh your the girl from galway.. and that was it, not hello, whats your name etc, sure they probably did a garda check on me first!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Again, like you I like to take people as who they are, not what they drive, work, house is like etc! sure same as you, a few doghairs, a few cups, toys etc, but hey thats a sign of a house lived in not a bad thing!!! (that’s what i tell myself anyway!!!)

EJ you are right too, just hard to get TIME to do anything. I also work from home (as I should be working now while kids asleep!)and mind them, so its hard going and I am wrecked tired in the evening, friends who have families around, and as I was asked, what did I think of my phil and ted buggy for my 2, I said it was great, Oh replied one, I was thinking of getting one, but then they are expensive, and sure I NEVER have my kids in town with me… mum or SIL minds them……. well if I want to get out of the house, i have to have them with me, so that’s a difference, she just takes it for granted etc. Doesn’t havea clue how you feel etc.

joey-rudd, No prob to collect that for you and meet you somewhere, seriously, don’t be relying on others in case they won’t do it….. ok!

anyway better do some work….

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.