Text speak and slang in homework

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Text speak and slang in homework

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    yummymummy

Oh girls Im at the endof my tether with this shite I swear.
    My ds is 9 and yes he has a phone but barely uses it only to listen to music so I dont know how he uses text speak when writing his homework.

Ie….I went to the shop cos I had to get milk.
    He looks at me like I’ve 2 heads when I tell him he needs to write BECAUSE not cos.

He writes numbers instead of the number word, ie 16 instead of sixteen….its english not maths!!!

And the best one yet….
    I went to the shop cos like I had to get milk!!!!!!

COS LIKE!!!!!!!!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now dont get me wrong Im sure we all talk like this in conversation but in written word?????? How am I going to get through to him on this one???

Like I said he is 9, im 27 so no dinosaur on the ould text speak and slang but even I know there is a time and a place for that sort of thing.

MY HEAD IS WRECKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Oh poor you yummy, this would drive me nuts. Where do they pick it up from…its very annoying. My sister is 17 and when she texts me its takes me twice as long to figure out the text speak than it would if she wrote it properly. I look like an eejit, trying to decipher her numbers and mumbled letters….

I guess I have this to look forward to sooner than I would like as our 7 year old has started to ask for a phone because he wants to ‘text his mate’ who lives next door. No flipping chance…not yet, sure he is only learning to read and write properly in school, want him to at least learn it correctly first before he starts doing this crazy text speak.

What do the teachers think about it? if they write their homework like that, do they get corrected?

yummymummy

Oh Sabbi my 17 yo brother is like that too, even is status’ on facebook take me ages to understand haha. But like I already said I know there is a time and a place (and character limits haha) but he never uses the phone to text at all and I dont text him slang I use predictive text on my phone.

I sit with him while he is doing his homework and I really feel at his age I should let him to it himself but becasue of the above I cant let him go into school with text talk and slang in his homework or should I??

Im sure the lads do it in class too and she corrects them but isnt that the point with homework? ie for me to help him with it (maybe I should just help him and not correct him then) but why leave it in the teachers hands, she has 28 boys to contend with.

1hour of homework a day mon-thurs……..someone must have to feel my pain hahaha

It needs nipping in the bud asap, but when I correct him he gets in a strop and it takes twice as long to get him to change it after I have explained why

Taylor5

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 If he is talking would he say cos or because?

Sabbi im like that with my niece, takes me ten mins to to read her texts 😆 😆 😆

yummymummy

He’s writing like he is talking taylor hahahaha funny now but not so funny when its down on paper for homework 🙁

Taylor5

Dont let him watch Ali G 😆 😆 😆

yummymummy

Jog on would ya……………….remove yourself from this topic if you have no PROPER advice to give ya biatch 😛

Yvonne

I suppose you can understand why he is doing it… but I know what you mean, doesn’t look the part for written homework..

Maybe let him do it and let the teacher get onto him for doing it wrong?

scole1

i was going to say the same as yvonne, perhaps let him go into school with his slang text written homework and then let the teacher grade him, when he sees that what he is actually writing is worng and not mommy nagging at him he might get the point, but i do think these days computers, mobiles etc are taking over from writing pen to paper…

i would be a good one for writing years ago always had a notbook and pen, now it kind of feels alien to have a pen in my hand…when i was in college we HAD to use pen adn paper for our pre-work and edit then and only then we were allowed to retype onto computer, but then the next course i didwas all written on computer bar the few notes to self on the side of the manuscript, so i think it’s the age unfortunately we live in, and yes kids tehse days (sound so old) will have bad written and spoken english, and yummy fair play to you for correcting him on it, as I am sure there are plenty of parents that don’t perhaps some of the kids in you ds’ class go in with badly written slang homework….

scole1

ha just noticed spelling mistakes, see that’s what happens when you don’t write with a quill… 😆 😆 😆

yummymummy

Haha scole for me the slnag and text and spelling is grand when on the likes of this, typos are to be expected 🙂

I just think that at his age he should know when and where its acceptable to do so ya know.
    Just like he cant use a calculator for his maths , he cant write as if he was talking.

Oh its gonna be a long year I tell ya. He gets a mountain of homework as it is (which im not complaining about at all hahaha)
    I like to sit with him and watch him as I learn myself. Irish wouldnt be my strong point so as he is learning so am I and he is also quick to correct me on my wrong pronunciation 🙂

happymumblemum
    Participant

I don’t think you are alone with this problem Yummy I have heard teachers talking about this on the telly…

Do you ever go onto the web site http://www.primarytimes.ie there might be some info on there you could find usefull..

yummymummy

Nah I thought that wasmainly for teachers and for days out kinda thing , will take a goo later.

Yest was a disaster, he didnt come home from his dad till 8, grand its the norm on a wednesday. So i go about my duty of checking his bag and homework and lo and behold it wasnt done, got on phone to x and gave out shite to him (he hung up on me hahaha) he siad he told me he had it done……..eh you have to sign the journal ya gobshite so you didnt even check or nothing ya fathead pmsl.

1/2 hour at 8pm doing homework and plus he got extra maths for disrupting the class (love this new teachers way of doing this i tell ya 🙂 ) and he done it all wrong. Had to write out numbers into words and lo and hehold half of it went like this
    4534= 4thousand 5 hundred and thirtyfour ……………AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

I left it, didnt make him change it so hope she gives him down the glen today!

Taylor5

oh yummy 😆 😆 😆 😆 you are so right let the teacher correct him…. cant believe your ex is such a spaz!!! "he told me it was done!"

my dh would say something like that 😆 😆 😆

yummymummy

he prob thought he had one over on me by saying well he told me he had it done……………well considering you didnt sign the journal ya didnt even check…………muppet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    he hasnt a clue god love him. I prefer to do j’s homework anyway but not at 8pm on a wed.

Hahaha should be fun to see what she said to him today about the writing of numbers. its like talking to a brick wall here sometimes……wherever does he get it from 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.