Second Baby after 5 Year Gap

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Second Baby after 5 Year Gap

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    janemam

As the above says I’ve just found out I’m expecting my second child after a 5 year gap. While I’m older this time around I’m not necessarily wiser,I’m carrying a bit of extra weight this time. I haven’t told anyone but my husband I’m pregnant yet as it’s very early days. While I have requested an anomaly scan for 20 weeks I’m wondering has anyone ever had an Amniocentesis? I’m 38 so not an older mother as such but as it’s been such a big gap since my last pregnancy and factoring in the extra weight I’m wondering if I should request it, however it is a very invasive procedure and not something I would consider lightly.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi janemam, first off, congratulations on your pregnancy. 🙂

5 years is a big enough gap but you’ll be amazed how quickly you slip into things again. We had a 4 year gap on our last baby and the one before and I thought it would be really difficult but it was actually grand. The older kids helped out so much which was lovely.

At 38, I don’t think you need to worry too much about this because you are still quite young and the fact its your second baby means your body has been through all this before and knows what to do, so hopefully, all will go well.

If you were over 40, maybe it would be something to really think about but at 38 you are still quite young for having a baby.

How are you feeling? How is your health generally? Is there any other reason you are thinking about this, other than your age and possible concerns about your weight?

I have been every size from a 10-18 over the past few years while being pregnant and when I had my last baby, I was also over 35 and the doctors were very harsh a few times with their language about mums over 35. They made a few comments about my age and maybe needing extra tests but when I spoke with the midwives at the hospital and ante-natal classes about my concerns around my age they said I shouldn’t worry at all. Because I had children already, they said I should be fine and thankfully, all was fine.

Are you eating well to try and keep control over your weight? Its so hard when pregnant with all the cravings but maybe try eating more fruit instead of sweets and drinking lots of water. And maybe substitute coffee and tea for herbal or fruit teas. I know it will make you pee alot but you’ll be peeing anyway so you might as well be hydrated!!

I hope this helps a little but if you are really worried, maybe go see you GP and talk through your concerns.

Also, there is a midwife on Mumstown in the Pregnancy & Birth section who may be able to offer you some advice. Worth having a look in there too.

HTH 😀

accoucheur

Hi Janemam,

Congrats on your pregnancy! The questions everyone should ask themselves and their practitioners before submitting to a medical intervention are:

1.Benefits?
    2.Risks?
    3.Alternatives?
    4.Intuition?
    5.Do Nothing?

Armed with this info you can make an informed decision about the intervention.

Is there a specific worry you have this pregnancy that would require an amniocentesis to diagnose?

If you would rather discuss privately feel free to email me on danoakes@neighbourhoodmidwives.com

All the Best,
    Dan Oakes, RM

munchin
    Participant

hi janeman – I didn’t have my first baby till I was 35 and my 2nd at 37.5yrs. and I was heavier on my 2nd – prob around 12.5stone on dd1 and 13stone starting my 2nd pregnancy. My doctor did re-iterate at every visit to eat healthy but the only additional test that was ever mentioned was the one for gestational diabities – I had the test on both pregnancies but I didn’t have diabities
    Huge congrats on your pregnancy – 5yrs is the gap my sister had and she found it grand 😉

happymumblemum
    Participant

Congrats .
    I have a ten year gap between mine and had my third child at 39.
    I think the main thing to consider with the tests is what decision you would make if all wasnt well with the tests .
    My second baby died only a few hours old having hid a wealth of serious problems from the scanners.
    I’m glad however I didn’t know as I got to meet by beautiful girl and tell her I loved her.

I didn’t have tests on my third and all was well.
    Best of luck whatever you decide ..I know its a very tough decision…and very personal one

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.