Please share your wedding stories

Home Forums National Chat Please share your wedding stories

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    rossylisa

we got married 2 and a half years ago ..we had it in the boyne Valley it really was lovely ..

things i cut back on was i got someone to do my invites ( that worked in a printers places)
    got my flowers in the markets and got someone to do them
    my mil made my bridesmaids dress and bought flower girls dress in freckles in dublin realy cheap
    bought my shoes in barcelona for about 20 euro or less got tiara and stuff ini sales
    if you know someone that can bake that ask them to do your cake for a present
    i done my own mass booklets
    just got a dj instead of band that played all mucic
    bought my dress in the bridel outlet in baldoyle now my dress cost me a .small forturne but they had rails of dresses half price …
    i didnt do any chair covers or doves or things like that

Wol is great for chatting with other brides and getting ideas.. Just dont get to stressed about it everything will fall into place

deec

Hiya
    I got married last year with all the bells & whistles and it cost alot. My Dh wanted the big day & I didnt really. Anyway it was a great day to be fair But here is whats important in my opinion.
    The video its so special afterwards. Pics not as much if you have someone good taking pics you can put together a fab wedding book for €50 on snapfish.ie
    My sis got married in NYC in Nov on a strcit budget. She hired a venue with Bar & got the catering brought in (buffet). She got her Calvin Klien Dress for just over $100 in a sale. She had one bridemaid (dress $150). we all took pics her friend is a budding photographer and she took pics & I did a book on Snapfish & its her album. she just had a Dj as bands cost up on 2K. The men wore their own suits they just bought shirts & ties to match and to be honest you’d never know. The flowergirls dress was from Monsoon sale. She didnt have a DVD.
    It was a great day!!!

CC

Congratulations Happy Mammy, enjoy the planning and try not to stress. I got married 3 years ago.

I this helps – I got my cake from M&S very cheaply compared to a bakery – its pre-order. It was – 3 tiers – 1 was XL chocolate – 1 was L Madeira and the top was M fruit cake. The also sell the pillars and I got an ornament from Solomons on west street for the top of the cake as a centre piece – have to say it looked fabulous and everyone was asking who/where we got it 😉

Wherever you go, ask if they do corkage and negociate on whaterver cost they give you.. – you will be in a very good posisiton as theres not the huge demand for weddings at this credit crunch time…

Also i would never regret spending the guts of our budget on our honeymoon and wedding rings…those are lasting…

OUr wedding video cost 1500euro and was terribly disapointing. Friends foortage was much better and I got someone i know to edit it down for me, in hindsight I should have thought of this but aw well ..

Also I found that jobs I gave people turned into sagas etc, so i ended up doing most of this myself. and from speaking to friends etc it does seem that weddings bring out the worst in alot of people you think you can count on so in that regard and sorry to sound negative, but the more your in control of the less disasters can occurr.

oh and one last thing. pick your most reliable and trusted bridesmaids, i went with a friend who hasnt bothered to even come see my two babies….another story…but enjoy enjoy and i hope the sun shines for you… 😀

CC

PS weddings online is good and informative but i found there were alot of very crazy women on it!!

JR

Hi Girls,

Well dont ya just love a gud wedding!! I got married 3yrs ago. Rep in the Boyne Valley my dad paid 4 the rep and my paid 4 the open toast, altogether i think it was €3280. My cake was bought 4 me by my friend, my flowers i made up myself, i bought them in the french market so all i got was the mine and the church done! The cars were all friends. Bought flower girls in a sale in adams, bought mine and bridesmaids (2). My invites were quiet cheap €150…. All in all the whole cost inc honeymoon was €12,000!! That i thought was very gud!! I had 90ppl. The band were just brill (The Bitz) they were €500, then a dj €190 my photos were deer at €850! It was just the best day ever!

Njoy the planning Happy Mammy, and njoy the day it will come around so fast!!!! Hope all go’s well…….

Sabrinab 08

Hi Happymammy.Im married 2 yrs this aug.. It doesnt have to be huge exspense to have your perfect day.Mine was perfect.. still is 😀
    Anyway. myself and my friend did all the flowers excepet my bouquet. bought all the flowers the day befroe, 120 quid, my bouqet was 80 from town center, they are the cheapest and 80 for the 2 mammy’s bouqets!
    Cars were provided for free by friends, bridesmaids dresses were made by my mam in law all 3 worked out around 180 quid i think. but recently discovered the exact same dresses on ebay for like 40 quid each made to order, handy to know. saves you the trip to Dublin as its the only decent place for material. would have saved my mam in law a few head aches. 😀
    We had civil ceremony was 90 euro.and family and friends mass in Tinure(150 for the priest but thats up to the individual). singer in the Church was 250. beautiful. reception was in the Boyne valley. 118 seated including the toast and evening geusts food it came to 3750 i think. my parents gave us 4 grand as our present so that was well covered.invites were very reasonable and elegant along with my favour boxes which i filled my self,with dark choc eggs a box of 20 was 3 quid!pu 3 eggs in each box. day and evening invites cost 150.
    Bridesmaids gifts and accesories were all bought online. very reasonable. shoes for myself and bridesmaids bought in Next for 100 for 4 pairs. flower girls dresses and shoes all on sale in Adams. half pirce.
    Suits in Freemans. they totalled 800. we had 6 gents and 2 younger lads.They are probably the cheapest tho.
    My dress was in Protocol. 1300. but sold it recently so amde a bt back, its the one thing u dont want to Budget on 😀
    Wore my daughters head dress from her communion(something borrowed).
    My sister’s a beautition so she did all the make up. hairs were reasonable to.
    Our band were a 4 piece from Swords, we both love music so was important that we got a good band, seen afew and had "Jewel".Brilliant girl on vocals. they provided the dj on the nite too. 1250 i think.
    Our honey moon was dream one, rome & Sorrento.Cost nearly 3 grand but it was our Honeymoon, 5 star hotels, transfers etc…
    Our cake was bought by my best Friend,400 from Georges in Slane. it was stunning and tasted the same.
    Any numbers or prices you need on anything pm and i’ll be happy to pass them on!! kept a file on everything. in total our wedding cost around 14 grand.. compared to some at 30 now adays we were happy!!Our photo’s and vid were done by family as a gift! and most ipmortantly we got our rings in Sapphire Jewwllers. 450 for both, white gold with each name and date engraved on opposite rings its the one most iportan part of the whole day, you’ll wear it the rest of your life!

Happymammy

Hi Girls

A lot of the hotels prices for menus are ranging from €25 buffet to €50. I have wedding list of €180 guests. So thats €4500 for buffet or €9000 for sit down handed to you meal. Anyone ever gone for a buffet? I am trying on my pals dress 2morrow night, it is an ian stuart dress and i loved it the minute i laid eyes on it! She said I can borrow it. 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen, flower girl and page boy. I am getting flower girl dress and page boy in tkmaxx and bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen suits in jan 2010 sale. Or I might hire them. We have set a date of 1st May next year. I think we have had lovely weather the past 2 years in May its mostly been our summer i reckon. I am getting a car for me and dad and everyone else have new cars so we are borrowing them.We are just having a dj no band. Toast and arrival buffet of tea and sandwiches and evening buffet of the same. So I have €15000 budget thats not including honeymoon have €5000 seperate for trip to Oz for 3 weeks to see if we would like to live there permanantly and we are bringing the kids. His brother said they will take the girls for a week when we get there so we can spend a week in Kearns by ourselves. So fingers crossed we can stick to the budget. 🙄 😆 Not going to get one bit stressed if i have to get married and have a gaa club with nibbles i dont care as long as we are all happy and have a good session afterwards and my girls are happy. I really appreciate all the wedding stories thanks again.

Yvonne

Congrats on setting your date!!
    I was in Adams yesterday and they had communion/flower girl dresses reduced to €15!! They were lovely.

scole1

also try newry for hiring the mens suits we did when the sterling was dear to get and we still saved on hire……

sianmaloney

Hi,

We went abroad for our wedding to Antigua. It was fabulous. 19 people came with us which made it a blast! And then we had a party when we came back for those who couldn’t make it. Extremely relaxed and at a fraction of the cost. Most of the hotels in the caribbean will include your wedding as part of the package deal. Check out http://www.kuoni.co.uk. I think that is the address. I think Arrow Tours book the Caribbean also.

I wouldn’t change one minute of it. And most of the people that went still say it was the best holiday they had.

Have a wonderful day! We do wedding lists by the way if you are looking to organise one. And we use over 40 businesses, most of them in the Drogheda area, that you can spread your list over. Had to get a plug in!

Sian x

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hiya,

Was in the D H*tel today and noticed they were advertising wedding packages for upto 250 guests. They are very helpful in there so might be worth checking out…

Siobhan

sianmaloney

Hi Siobhan,

Happy New Year! Thanks a million for this. I will give them a shout.

Hope you are keeping well,
    Sian x

reading these posts got me excited! Well i’ve been with my children’s father who i consider my DH already but when we do get married we want to look into an overseas package to do a wedding on the beach. Close small intimate ceremony, maybe in Miami or Puerto rico!!

Has anyone done something like this before??

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.