No more DIY for me….

Home Forums Yummy Mummy to Practical Parenting! No more DIY for me….

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jedt.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Our 11yrold has been asking us to paint his room for a while and this weekend I decided I would do it for him. He picked the colour himself (much to our dismay) and yesterday morning I got organised to do it.

I was about hallway through when disaster struck! I am not sure if I was distracted by the awful green colour I was voluntarily putting on the walls (think nuclear waste and you’ll have an idea) but whatever it was, I somehow got a splinter right under my fingernail. Needless to say, I let out a yell as I saw the offending piece of wood jammed under my fingernail. As I clutched my finger and as the tears sprang in to my eyes, the ladder I was perched on started to wobble and before I could examine the blood that was seeping out from under my fingernail, I found myself falling on the floor. It kind of happened in slow motion. I could almost see myself falling but there was nothing I could do to stop it!!!

I fell from the top of the ladder and landed with a thud on the floor on my knees. Mostly, the left knee which promptly started to bleed and swell up. Oh the state of me, in a heap on the ground, surrounded by half painted illuminous green walls!! I was not a happy camper at all.

Not one to be defeated, I finished the job (badly I must admit, as I was working with a gammy leg, splintered finger and by this stage, in a pretty bad mood!) but nonetheless, I got the job finished.

When my darling son saw the finished job, he said ‘Its not what I thought it would be like but I think I can get used to it’. Nice indeed.

For an 11 year old, I suppose that’s a fairly decent compliment!!!

I am so sore today. I really fell hard. The irony is, after breaking my arm last year my New Years resolution was to not injure myself this year and I am not doing so well on that one!

I am never painting again! Next time, I am either bribing my husband to do the painting, or I am hiring someone in. It would have been worth paying a few quid to save myself that fall.

My days of getting up ladders are well and truly over. :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

What kind of bribe will the husband receive?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ouch, you poor thing, hope you feel better soon.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Ah I’m grand….well, I will be grand!! My finger is still throbbing and there is a bit of pus coming out of where I pulled out the splinter (I really hope its all out, I cannot see anymore whether it is or not with the swelling!) and my knee is black and blue but I’l be ok in a day or two.

No running for me this week!!! I am working from home today in my PJ’s and my leg up on a chair!

I seem to be so accident prone this past year. I hope someone is not sticking pins in a voodoo doll of me!!! 😯

Jedt
    Keymaster

Before I fell of the ladder, I got a fragmented splinter under my fingernail. Think I got it all out but its very swollen and is now seeping something yellow this morning. Does this sound like its infected? What can I do with it?

munchin
    Participant

Def sounds infected – yellow ain’t good – I’d pop into chemist and see what they say

Jedt
    Keymaster

Finger finally on mend – its starting to look normal again and the nail is growing back. That was very sore.

The knee still not great. Very sore and still a bit wonky looking. I am missing my runs in sasta. its hard when you get used to exercise and then cannot do it for a few weeks. I feel massive and sluggish – especially after indulging in some Easter eggs…..

Oh, I hope I’ll be ok next week. I hate being injured!!!! 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.