Male Midwife

Home Forums National Chat Male Midwife

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I am writing an article on a male midwife in training and just wanted some feedback from mums about whether it would make any difference if your midwife was male or female.

We have lots of private male consultants but not a lot of male midwives it seems,

please share your thoughts….

thanks

LANA
    Participant

when i had my first child there was a trainee male midwife in the room .i was ask if i was ok with him staying. with all the pain i was in i didnt care who was there.but he was ok, he was more friendly than 1 of the midwife that was there .she was not very nice .but i had to get a episiotomy, i never forget his face i think i turned him off the job .

Pastela

Wouldn’t faze me in the slightest….

In South Africa, midwifery is a non-existent practice. So pregnancy and birth is dealt with by your gynaecologist…. who more often than not, would be male anyway….

Having had both my children here, the midwife involvement was brilliant, and I would be more than happy to have another child with a midwife leading events…. and if "she" were a "he"… I’d be 100% fine with that.

Taylor5

When I was in the OLOL on my last birth there was a male midwife in tranning, he was lovely, very kind and had great time for all the patients. He would sit on the bed and do your temp but there was something very tender and caring about him, really took a shine to him.
    He was in his 30’s and he told me the line of work he was in before his career change and I was stunned (cant remember what it was) as it was a million mile from midwifery…… sure arent half the doctors male

trixiebell
    Participant

thats it sure most of the gynae doctors are male anyway, wouldnt annoy me in the slightest either,

scole1

at the end of the day when you go to have a baby you leave your dignity at the door so regards of male or female checking ya outdown there doesn’t really matter….

what really matters is how the midwives treat you makes a huge difference….it only takes one comment to either break or make your stay in hospital….if you receive nice kind words at times you really feel vunerable it makes you feel so much better….

having just had a baby 3 weeks ago i must say the midwives this time round after baby were so so nice, they were comforting and patient and kind and understanding…never forced any opinions on you and also they were ready to criac a joke too…there was one in particular who did the nights thta’s when you were at your worst and she was so so nice i think i would’ve really gone downhill if it weren’t for her and her gentle approach and also she was very encouraging…..

so back to whether male or female as long as the tred carefully and give the shoulder to cry on then i don’t care….but a nasty ole midwife forget it…..

male or female it depends entirely on the individual and their manner

My first choice IM was male – so this wouldn’t make a difference to me whatsoever

Happymammy

He would defo have to be an ugly male midwife or else i couldnt be held accountable for headlocking him with my legs in the height of labour 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 (any excuse!)

Taylor5

You diry mamma….. I feel sorry for poor P 🙄
    The doctor I had in Labour (Colman) he is very very good looking, he is now part of Dr Gormelys team

Happymammy

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.