Lost our daughter – so traumatic!!!!

Home Forums National Chat Lost our daughter – so traumatic!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

We lost our daughter in a large supermarket yesterday for more than 10 mins. My husband, 10 year old, 3 year old and me were in the shop picking up a few bits.

Our daughters were walking ahead of us, playing and running about and before we knew what had happened, we could only see our 10 year old.

We had a look about, expecting our 3 year old to be near us but she was nowhere to be seen. We split up and walked up and down the aisles from either side of the supermarket but still, there was no sign of her anywhere.

It had been about 5 minutes by this stage and I was starting to panic. I went to customer services desk and they started looking on CCTV for her and my husband and daughter were running about looking for her everywhere.

My husband then ran outside and started looking in the car park and my daughter was on the verge of tears, as was I, when a neighbour of oursshouted over that she could see her.

Low and behold, there she was, clutching a pack of buns she wanted us to buy for her. I ran and picked her up and asked where she had been and she explained that she had seen a butterfly and had chased it all the way to the other side of the shop. She was crouching down, trying to find the butterfly and I’m guessing that’s how we missed her.

We got such a fright. My stomach sank and the world felt like it was closing in on me.

I really got such a terrible terrible fright. I know it was only 10 minutes but it felt like a lifetime.

I’m still not the better for it tbh.

allyj

Oh it’s horrible, the panic just builds up. Happened me when I was minding my niece, I was so busy watching the two smaller ones that when we turned into a shop I didn’t notice that the eldest child hadn’t turned with me. It was in scotch hall on Paddy’s day and was so packed with everyone heading out to the parade. Took about 10 terrifying minutes to find her as she had walked outside before she noticed we weren’t with her. I think also when there are two adults it is nearly more likely to happen as each thinks the other one has an eye on the child.

mammycool
    Participant

I had this when my ds was between 2 and 3. One second he was beside me and then next he had disappeared. The staff were on the case in seconds. They went and stood at the doors to make sure he did not get out and even went out and checked their loading bay. Took a while but I eventually got him hiding on a shelf with bread – he was having great fun!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

It was utterly terrifying. I felt sick. My head was going to some dark places at the thoughts that someone might have picked her up and walked out with her.

She really frightened the life out of us.

We explained to her why its wrong to walk away from us and she explained – in her sweet innocent little way – that she was chasing the butterfly that had flown into the shop. As if, chasing a butterfly is the most important thing in the world!!

Little minx 🙂

munchin
    Participant

it’s a horrible feeling – years ago my best friends dad had died and I took her nephew off for the day – he was 6 – we ended up in B & Q and I thought he was with my hubby he thought he was with me – dear god the panic- imagine having to tell my friend who’d lost her dad that morning that I’d lost her son!!!!!!!! found him hiding in behind the paints on shelf – frightened the life out of me – still shake my head when I think of it – I did tell them what had happened much to their amusement 🙄 child was fine but I was traumatised!!!!!!!

rossylisa

You’s must have gotten a huge fright. Oh is still remember the panic and sick feeling of it My DD wondered off on us in the Pavilion when it first opened. found her in boots trying of shoes!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

She is 3 now and just at that age where she keeps running off. Its terrifying!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.