How friendly are you?

Home Forums National Chat How friendly are you?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

Oh meant to say:

To those parents who teach their kids to ignore strangers and not to talk to them, you should read "Paranoid Parenting by Frank Furedi " – he makes some good points. The main one being that we havebecome too over protective of our kids and that the majority of kids who are abused, it is by someone they know.

As a parent, i can totally understand our protectiveness of our children and we do need to make them aware of strangers but not too totally freak them out about strangers beacuse realistically other people could be more of a threat.

Taylor5

MaryE I know what your saying my ds1 will talk to who he wants to, he could sit with a stranger and yap away (like his mammy) then other times he wouldnt even give a hello….. the think that bakes his noodle is strangers touching him!!!!
    I dont know what it is about him but people always rub his head 😯 I said it to Scole one day and she did notice someone rub his head but not her ds1’s head 🙄 He yelled at a poor woman in Dunnes one day, he told her NOT TO TOUCH HIM AS SHE WAS A STRANGER! The woman was old and she nearly died 😳 I told her she was okay and its a regular thing which he hates….. she did agree that she was a stranger and shouldnt have touch him, I nearly died for her and she was soooo nice
    Only today he had a go at an oul one she rubbed his head and called him "young MAN" He said "im a BOY not a man and dont touch me" He told me last week he was wearing his swimming hat to the shops 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

MaryE

Taylor, that is funny, such a little character!

I think he has a point though & i think that is what we should be teaching our kids, that strangers shouldnt be touching them but it is ok to talk to strangers.

Being friendly is a skill that will get our kids on in life.

Taylor5

He was in Dunnes in Scotch Hall today and he was standing at the till with his hands on his head, dhasked what he was doing? He nodded at an OAP and said " I dont want HER touching me" Dh was morto and ran out of the shop and letft the poor ould dear standing there not knowing what was going on 😳 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

I was in Laurence Town Centre few weeks ago and was paying my parking. I had a crumpled 5 euro note and about 80 cents in change. I tried to put the fiver in any way I could but it kept coming back out.

Eventually, as I was about to give up and go and get change, a lovely lady beside me quickly popped a 2 euro coin into the slot for me.

I was touched by her kindness (and a bit mortified). I offered to change the 5 euro and give her back the 2 euro but she point blank refused. She said it was her good deed for the day. I gave her all the change I had in my hand and thanked her and by the time I turned about, she and her teenage daughter had gone.

She was very sweet and people like her make me realise there are still good people out there.

I like to say hello to people and chat to people when I’m out and about. It makes life a bit nicer so what’s the harm. We all have bad days but that lady’s act of kindness cheered me up no end that day.

Everyone should see that movie ‘Pay it forward; it really makes you think about stuff like this….

scole1

brilliant movie and is so appropiate for this topic…sure it’s no harm to be nice and no harm to pay it forward… 😉

Taylor5

I did that in Tescos today, had a full trolly and the woman behind had 3 items so I let her go ahead (she didnt ask me) Then there was a problem with the price of her chicken, the manager was called and they went off to look at the price displayed on the fridge….. Took about 10 mins… will NEVER do this again

Moonflower

thats always way isnt it taylor…bet the lady felt terrible thou that she was now holding u up…

Taylor5

I know she said sorry a 100 times, I didnt mind too much… told her to take her time and sort it out, didnt want her getting into a flap like my mother would and having a heart attack or something 🙄

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.