Girls periods – how to explain it?

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Girls periods – how to explain it?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My daughter is 8 and while that seems like way too soon to have the ‘Period’ talk with her, as girls are getting them younger and younger these days (please someone tell me this is not true!) I guess I need to tell her about it soon.

How am I going to explain this to her? I believe in being honest with my children but this is a tricky one.

My kids know where babies come from, they know a woman gives birth and that a stork does not come! They know a man and a woman make a baby and they know boys have penises and girls have vaginas (I had to explain that to them when my then 4 year old shouted out in a public place that instead of penis’s, girls have 2 bums!)

But periods is such a grown up chat – any ideas about how to tell her this, please share.

thanks so much.

Donomum3

i have two girls and this thought has crossed my mind too 😯 .eldest only sevenandhalf….i know there are a few girls starting periods younger but minority i think???maybe im wrong?? i asked advise from my sisin law who has a teen and what she said made complete sense to me …a girl whatever the age doesnt just start periods out of the blue. they will have alot of bodily changes first such as developing breast buds and hair and secretions,broadening hips 😳 and that there is no need to rush in with information if your child is nowhere near this stage.i know my eldest dd is very slight and small and yet there are a couple in her class aged 8 broad and look older … its a tough one.at the same time it only takes one child in the class to start and to talk about it.(although i remember as a kid myself an older girl discussing periods and it went over my head totally i remember thinking why is she going on about pyramids 😆 😳 ) i think there are age appropriate books you can buy. another tricky thing about parenting!!!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

My daughter has a few little downy hairs starting to show but its very slight. I really hope this is a few years away for her….she is such a sweet sensitive child and would not be emotionally ready for this. 😳

rossylisa

My DD was giving a talk in school when she was in 4th class. So that’s when I told her. I had gotten a book of the Gerry Ryan show years ago. I sat down with her and we read it together and then I answered any questions she had. She did know some things already from hearing what other girls talk about so don’t be surprised. I just told her the truth and she was disgusted that that’s what all the fuss was about. 😆 .

Donomum3

yeah fourth class would sound about right to me.few years to wait.my ds is 9 since May and very innocent !! someone said to him at easter about the bunny and he refused t o believe them .broke down crying to me!!! hes no eejit very intelligent . 🙄 its just his personality .his younger sister is wiser and more sceptical 🙄 ..i have to say though sometimes the innocence is so magical and precious…once its gone its gone. (sorry gone off topic)

munchin
    Participant

yeah i had hoped to wait until about 4th class too – we’ll see

Jedt
    Keymaster

I hope I can wait until 4th class too for my daughter, hope its not forced us no her before then.

My son is heading into 4th class this year, shouldI tell him? And if so, how much should I tell him?

munchin
    Participant

Sabbi there are plenty of age appropriate books out there – seems to be the most popular method – sit down and go through them with him

one i’ve heard off is "amazing you – getting smart about your private parts" or "what’s the big secret – talking about sex with girls and boys"

These are the 2 my sister got for her too – it was a while ago and her little fella was 8 last month – his sister is a few yrs old – apparently she read them, the kids read them together, had a giggle and moved on.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Thanks munchin, that’s really helpful. Will look those up. 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.