Funtasia Reptile Zoo New Additions!

Home Forums Louth Chat Funtasia Reptile Zoo New Additions!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Funtasia

Salt Water Crocodiles at the Reptile Village Conservation Zoo
    Funtasia Waterpark Drogheda
    Summer 2014.
    The Reptile Village Conservation Zoo at Funtasia Waterpark Drogheda is proud to bring you an exciting exhibit this summer.

Six Saltwater Crocodiles have been imported into Ireland, the first time this has ever happened, and are on display in the Reptile Zoo on the first floor of Funtasia Waterpark, Drogheda.

The Saltwater Crocodile (Crocodylus porosus), otherwise known as the Saltie, has the widest range of any crocodile species and can be found from eastern India, South East Asia and the north of Australia. As the name suggests, the Saltie can be found in the ocean, but spends most of its time in mangroves, estuaries, deltas, lagoons and river-mouths.

The Saltie is the largest living reptile, as well as the largest living terrestrial and riparian predator, in the world. Adult males have been known to grow up to 6.7m (22ft) long and can weigh up to 2 000kg (4 400lb). But don’t be misled by their size, the Saltie can swim between 15 – 18mph (24 – 29 kph), that’s about three times faster than the fastest human swimmer. They also have the strongest bite of any living creature and have been known to take down prey as large as a water buffalo. They are highly aggressive and territorial which why in areas where they are found humans give them a wide berth.

But don’t be alarmed, the six crocs at the Reptile Zoo are only about three years old and are about 3 ft in length. These beautiful reptiles as well as many other creatures and critters will be on display at the Reptile Zoo at Funtasia Waterpark for the rest of the summer and September. Have you ever touched a snake? Well, if you’re feeling brave, you can also have personal contact with some of the creatures on display.
    Entrance to the Reptile Zoo is €5 per person, with a special offer of €18 for a family of five.
    For more information, visit our websites at Funtasia.ie

Funtasia

See if you can spot any of the Reptiles below at our Reptile Zoo in Funtasia Waterpark, Drogheda!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I held a dragon and a snake and though I was slightly terrified ( 😳 ) my kids thought it was hilarious that I was holding these scary creatures!!

Its very informative for kids too, the guys running it have so much knowledge and are happy to answer questions and bring the kids around and explain about the various animals.

Really well worth a visit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.