First Holy Communion 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Biddy

We were surprised too.We didnt plan on getting him a suit but he wanted one because all his class were getting them,but we were glad we got one in the end as he looked really smart in it. Someone said to me that its usualy suits for communiom and casual for confirmation.Im just happy we didnt spend a fortune on it because even the shoes were never worn again.A lot of the boys had the same suits on but different shirts/ties but they all looked great .

Taylor5

Must be a region thing, my sister is in Kildare and nearly all ex Dubs in the school… all smart casual, its cost about 300e for his clothes but he wore everything and his little brother is now wearing the jacket and jumper

Anonymous
    Inactive

My son is for Communion but I never went crazy on the girls so not starting now. 🙂 Going for smart, casual. Its one day (keepit in context) and he is only a child of 8yrs. He wouldn’t have any occassion to wear a suit or dress shoes again so not going down that route. Its a mix of both styles I think now. But as long as he’s smart I’m not overly bothered. Will have some food at home, like I did for the others. Tried eating out once for Confirmation but never again, had the other Confirmation at home and was so much nicer and so much less fuss. Not into dragging kids round the houses either…..people know where we are and are all very welcome on the day. Don’t like putting people under pressure to give money. But again it differs for everyone. Know of one child who made her communion and was away ‘visiting’ all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday which meant she missed school on Monday. She made over a €1000 but I thought it was just nuts 😕

Taylor5

That sort of money is obscene!!!

In my nephews school with the help of the PTA they arranged a card kris kindle, everychild got a card with 10e or 20e in it (cant rememeber) the kids were delighted at the surprise of who was giving their card, might be something worth setting up, most kids have 5 or 6 close friends in their class

trade

Hi There,

I purchased my boys 3 pce suit in Tir na nOG, Athlone. They have a good offer on at the moment a free shirt with each suit purchased. Got the lot for 150 euro and I was delighted with the quality and fit as my son needed a larger pants than the jacket and I was able to mix & match sizes
    They have a website if you google it. Very helpful staff.
    Good luck!

yummymummy

trixie I got my ds suit in next!!! Lovely pin stripe one and got the shirt seperate and it cost 60e for the 3!!! 20e for shoes in barretts.

Never wore any of it again 🙁 But sure hey he looked fab on the day and I have the suit with his ribbon still attached in the spare room 🙂

Maria30

The Childrens dept in Shaws have suits in stock now. Didnt get a chance to have a good luck at them as ds2 was throwing a wobbler 🙄

Taylor5

The childrens shop on West street has a stunning little suit in the window, really really smart, didnt see the price

trixiebell
    Participant

thanks will have a look downtown this week!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Might be a bit far for you but Tir NaNog children’s clothes shop in the midlands, Athlone I think, is supposed to be very good, think they have an online store too.

trixiebell
    Participant

got ds’s suit sorted today, went to blanch and ended up getting it in marks and spencers, he looked so handsome in it 🙂

Jedt
    Keymaster

That great, saw the suits in M&S – they are so cute but very smart too. I would love to get my son a suit with a waistcoat next year when he makes his. He has a few waistcoats already and really likes them (he’s a fashionable little guy!)

What kind of day will you be having for the communion? Do people have this at home nowadays? Next year will be our first one…..

ed1
    Participant

Went today to have a look at something for DS. I was looking for something casual as I really didnt want a suit and neither did he, as I said earlier in this thread. I wanted to see a suit on him though so got him to try one on in M&S. It was gorgeous on him and he loved it so it looks like I have made a complete turnaround and now will be going for a suit. Only thing though, the one we like is grey and so is his uniform unfortunately. It wont resemble the uniform though as we will be getting a different colour shirt and tie. He could though get good wear out of the trousers as he could wear them as uniform trousers next year.

trixiebell
    Participant

we got the grey one too ed1 it is gorgeous!! did u get the purple stripe shirt and tie?

ed1
    Participant

Yes Trixie, got the purple stripped shirt and tie. I thought it was lovely on him. Went down to M&S yesterday in Laurence Centre and they dont have the grey suits just the linen ones. I had tried it on in Dundrum and didnt get it as I wanted to look at ones in Tommys in Blanch. They were horrible so went to M&S in Blanch and of course they didnt have his size. I amgoing to Liffey Valley in the morning, so fingers crossed they will have it there. Dont know why I just didnt get it!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.