FACEBOOK/BEBO…. joining groups and pages***BEWARE***

Home Forums National Chat FACEBOOK/BEBO…. joining groups and pages***BEWARE***

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Tig74

I’m not originally from Ireland, and I have to say that I was shocked when I saw all the kids pics in the localpaper together with their names – I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen back home in Scotland. My baby isn’t born (2 months to go) yet, but I don’t think I’ll be approving this sort of thing as a safety concern. I am on Facebook, but all my pictures are only visible to friends, and I won’t actually be putting loads of pictures of the wee one up there – just the odd one.

I think that reasonable caution with any personal information should be exercised on public sites. Malicious people do exist, and if it takes a little extra security to keep them from your personal information, then it’s worth the effort. Of course the majority of people are not like this, but as usual it’s the minority that spoils things for everyone else.

It’s the same with password security, don’t use the same password for everything, and be careful what links you click on. I’ve seen so many people get hacked on Facebook and other sites, due to a trojan/other malicious software. Facebook, and other social networking sites, can be great tools for keeping in touch with others, however they need to be treated properly in order to do their job safely.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi im lawlesses other half, found it necessary to correct you on this as im guessing you get on the back of everything without correct knowledge or background. The internet as such is a very insecure form of communication and signing up blind to a group you have no information on(which most of these on facebook or other social sites are)
    Some people arent paranoid just well informed and have a right to safeguard themselves and their kids the uncertainties of the internet.Try do some research on human trafficking and special order children and maybe you will think twice before babbling your mouth over someone trying to cater some good advice to people on this site.
    If all the people from some of these groups were in a room you probably wouldnt go into it let alone share picture of yourself and your children.So get a grip and join the real world and stop shouting your mouth off about things you clearly dont understand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi im lawlesses other half, found it necessary to correct you on this as im guessing you get on the back of everything without correct knowledge or background. The internet as such is a very insecure form of communication and signing up blind to a group you have no information on (which most of these on facebook or other social sites are)
    Some people arent paranoid just well informed and have a right to safeguard themselves and their kids the uncertainties of the internet.Try do some research on human trafficking and special order children and maybe you will think twice before babbling your mouth over someone trying to cater some good advice to people on this site.
    If all the people from some of these groups were in a room you probably wouldnt go into it let alone share picture of yourself and your children.So get a grip and join the real world and stop shouting your mouth off about things you clearly dont understand.

THIS IS DIRECTED TO JAYBIRD

jaybird

I can see that is directed at me, and you can insult me all you like. I do have some understanding of the internet thanks, i’m not a moron. Do not make uneducated guesses about people you don’t know.

You are not at all well informed if you are arguing that my children are at risk from human trafficking from their pictures being on facebook. Neither their names, ages, addresses or any details are available on fb. There are more identifying details almost anywhere else than on facebook.

Keeping your privacy setting high on such things is good advice. Scaremongering, assuming we are all idiots, and raving about my children being kidnapped as sex slaves is both ridiculous and insulting. Your first post was inaccurate and your later ones hysterical.

How about you do what you want with your kids pictures, and let everyone else do what they want without insulting them or trying to scare people needlessly?

Taylor5

Ah come on girls lets agree to differ….
    i can see both sides yeah what is the harm of a photo up on the net, i do it myself but i do only allow friends to see those said photos… there are groups who are targeting parents on facebook they pose as "family friendly groups" but they are just trying to get into your profile to rob your photos… this isnt jjust urban mith I seen it on a panorama programme, so I dont join groups anymore on facebook and have warned other mothers to do the same.

Jaybird I know you think that what lawlesses is posting is utter crap but on the same programme it spoke to the parents of a little American girl who was raped and murdered by a peodo in the states (he was caught and on deathrow) The sicko befriended this 12 year old on Bebo and was pretending to be another 12 year old from a different state… she didnt give her address etc. but he was able to follow her steps by posts about team games etc and the actions of her friends…. Im sure her parents wouldnt think its all nice and safe…. think its just common sense. We could be in the local park and someone take a photo our of kids on there phonesor zoom lenses… we just never know but we could be driven mental if we did think of the dangers.
    Good luck girls i do think you both have very valid points but your seeing it from different sides of the fence so to speak.and never the two shall meet 😉

jaybird

I agree with you Taylor. There are many dangers, including dangers on fb and the like. I’m just saying that people focus on looking for problems where they are remote and ignore dangers that are in their faces.
    Giving the idea that "paedos and pervs" are strangers on the internet denies the reality that children are far more at risk from people they know and trust, and actually puts children at risk, because they are not being taught accurate risk perception.
    Advising people to tighten their security is fine and useful, scaremongering is not, but what I objected to most is the implication that because you might not agree you are too stupid to know what you are talking about.

And thats all I have to say on this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i asked people to watch the groups they join….. i never said not to unload pictures… i have also up loaded photos of my kids and only family andclose friends can see them. Again never said not to upload your pictures….

Taylor thank you for getting my point across, what you explained is what i was trying to say about sickos that are out there, they do set up traps to lure you in…. it might not be you they are interested in it could be a friend or family member…. just cause these things dont happen under our nose does not mean they dont happen!!!!

and jaybird…. what else can i say to you… my husband was just trying to demonstrate that its better to be safe than sorry..many people have a lot less security than you do and include addresses phone numbers and even pictures of there houses which compromises security…he has been at me lately to be careful of what information i give out..and particularly not to join those groups as you just dont know who is watching.
    Some people we know have even gone onto let everyone(even people they dont talk to, like the local pub whos page the have joined) know when they go on holidays!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.