Fab dessert…Chocolate croissant bread-and-butter pudding!

Home Forums Yummy Mummy to Practical Parenting! Fab dessert…Chocolate croissant bread-and-butter pudding!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What is the new cookbook? I bought her original one and found that nothing came out quite as she said. I have one by Tannya Ramsey and the food comes out great.

Jedt
    Keymaster

This is one of Rachel Allen’s easy meals, she made on the show last week and it looked so good, we have it in the oven now for Easter dessert!!

Chocolate croissant bread-and-butter pudding – Serves 6 to 8

Preparation time: Five minutes
    Cooking time: 45 minutes
    You will need:
    125g/4½oz dark chocolate, broken into pieces, or dark chocolate drops
    6 croissants (slightly stale is fine)
    4 eggs
    450ml/16fl oz single or regular cream
    250ml/9fl oz milk
    150g/5oz caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Pinch of salt
    2 litres/3½ pint pie dish

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Scatter half the chocolate over the base of the pie dish.

Cut the croissants in half and lay them, cut-side down and slightly overlapping, in the dish, then scatter over the remaining chocolate.

In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour this mixture over the croissants.

Sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar and allow to stand for five minutes before baking in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the custard is just set in the centre.

Remove from the oven and serve (if you dare!) with softly whipped cream.

– Rachel Allen

lellykelly

was it nice? i saw her making it last week & it looked yummy. I love Rachel Allen, a lot of the recipes in her new book are very easy & handy, dont take a lot of time, preparation or ingredients and taste fab!

Jedt
    Keymaster

It was lovely although quite heavy, you would not eat loads of it. We had it with some plain vanilla ice cream, served hot.

I would suggest you serve it straight from the oven while the custard is gooey. We reheated some for someone who was late to dinner and it was not as good when reheated.

My daughter made it with me and it was a nice dessert to make together.

Would recommend…easy & cheap to make, is very tasty and looks great. Looks like it was hard to make – my in-laws were well impressed but it was actually quite easy.

mammycool
    Participant

Oh, I love bread and butter pudding – does not look the best but tastes like heaven. I might try this one out – kids only eat with their eyes – if it looks good, I might have a chance!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I got this recipe online and it came out great, the chocolate was bubbling among the hot pastry – very yummy and looked amazing! I would say though that its ideal to serve there and then, its not as good on a reheat.

quite easy to make too, worth a go!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.