dogs without leads

Home Forums National Chat dogs without leads

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    chickpea

ah they do they are great company….i did have a cat too but he moved in with one of my neighbours and now he turns his nose up whenever he sees us and i had 2 rabbits who i got for my neice as she had me hounded for them and none of the others would get them for her…she soon got bored and i gave them to one of my neighbours whose children love them…but id be lost without my dogs…they are 7 now but still behave like puppies when i come home

your right moonflower i have a soft spot for animals….just wainting on the kids now…

Anonymous
    Inactive

BIG dogs go on leads….. SMALL dogs go on leads… its the LAW

* American Pit Bull Terrier
    * English Bull Terrier
    * Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    * Bull Mastiff
    * Dobermann Pinscher
    * German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    * Rhodesian Ridgeback
    * Rottweiler
    * Japanese Akita
    * Japanese Tosa
    * Bandog

These dogs MUST be :
    a. kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them.
    b. must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place.
    c. must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
    Simple as…..
    http://www.familyfun.ie/dog-licences-and-laws/

Also @ nickysinglemum you said your son had 2 mastiffs run after him…. did they hurt him? also were the a cross or american mastiffs??? i am interested as we just bought an old english Mastiff(9 weeks old)…. who are knowen as Gentle Giants!!!

Taylor5

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross and she is the biggest softie you could every meet, she is like either a large jack russell or small Dalmation. The only time i ever seen the Staffie come out in her was when a large neighbours dog ran into our garden and started to bark at me and ds1… she ran out of the house and even though 1/3 of this dogs size he pinned him to the ground and i seen a savage streak in her…. she released the dog and it ran off and she ran straight to my ds1’s feet, so i feel like it was her protection him…. other then that she is an utter dope 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

I know she is a cross breed and doesnt come under this list, but she is a total pet…. cant understand how German shepards are on this list, never met a nasty one, but have come across some brilliant trainned guard dogs, but the standard pet Shepard doesnt behave like this…..

I think small terriers, jacks and those feckin yappy dogs are worse!!!

Moonflower

i know we have Collie cross, well really she has GSD in her so a GSD cross..but she is a big gentle giant..never ever gone near a person on a walk if you spoke to her she would just sit at yr feet & want a rub…but apparently they can apply this law to cross breeds…but often cross breeds are much calmer…..

the law doesnt state all dogs have to be kept on lead..just those breeds but they do have to be under control by their owners….

CaliGal

I was one of those kids bitten by a large dog as a kid because I wouldn’t surrender my ice cream cone.

I am terrified of all large dogs as a result. The dogs running loose in this country is insane. I carry pepper spray when out walking and have sprayed a few dogs. The neighbor has a boxer who used to let it run loose. One day my kids and some neighbor kids were crawling on top of DH’s car in fear trying to get away from this overexcited boxer that was nipping playfully at the kids. That’s how it always starts isn’t it?!?!

I went inside, grabbed an umbrella and chased the dog home. I gave the lady owner an earful saying how dangerous it was. The next day the husband knocks at my door THREATENING me!! Calling me a do-gooder and it wasn’t my responsibility to be neighborhood policeman. I abruptly told him his dog was on MY PROPERTY threatening MY KIDS so it is my business. I told him to keep dog in or I will call Warden as I have it on speed dial! I called warden next day who called to the house.

Haven’t seen that ugly dog loose again thank goodness. It’s criminal to me when our own kids can’t play in their own front yard for fear of loose dogs running around.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Failure to keep your dog under effectual control will result in a fine of €30.00.

This includes your dog being unaccompanied in any public place or not being kept under control in public and excessive barking which causes a nuisance to any person.
    Many local authorities have introduced bye-laws to indicate areas where dogs must be kept on a leash or even prohibited. The local authority will be able to inform you of the bye-laws that apply in your area. Breaches of these bye-laws relating to dogs in your area can result in fines on summary conviction.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

Taylor5

I dont like Boxers!!! My brother has 2 and my alot in my family are boxer breeders, yuck yuck yuck…. dont like at all, its the slobber and how they jump about and never seem to grow up. I got a cut on my chin from my brothers dog, he was SOOO exctied to see us he jumped on me and the top of his head clipped my chin.
    No your right to ring, NO DOG BIG OR SMALL SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ROAM FREE….

My dog did get out twice, once because of our dope of a neighbourremoving the fence and another time dh put the bins out but the back gate wasnt closed right and my neighbour was out with her kids and she knocked in and asked was that my dog? I was Eh, No.. my dog is never out…. No wait a minute that is her!!! She would have been out for HOURS without me knowing i was morto 😳 😳 😳

I do think breeds get a bad name from the idiots who are attracted to certain breeds, take Staffies for instance, they are the best dogs you could every have with children…. but such bad press.
    I dont like Rothwellers (sp) but i know people who have them and they are gentle giants, love a dog and you get love back…. my ds2 eats from the dogs bowl (he didnt want his pasta until the dog was eating it, dont panic not pedigree chum he was eating 😆 😆 😆 )
    I find its a good test for a dog, let it start eating and take the food from its mouth almost or put your hand into the bowl….. my mothers little dog would have eaten your arm off!!!

Moonflower

i still cant believe its only a 30 euro fine or is that 3000 euro….???

i do have to agree its the type of owner not the type of dog that make the ones classed as dangerous breeds extra dangerous & they are often the ones who refuse to follow the law…

but i still stick to my belief that if i want to let my dogs run off the lead under control at the beach & they are causing no problem to others then i will continue to do so ….if someone asks me to put them on lead due to being afraid then of course i do….& if we see children we always walk in other direction or put on lead..my dogs love children but i know not all children love dogs….its all about being responsible & not tarring all dogs & all dog owners with same brush….

@ lawlesses. i like mastifs. chiwahas are worse got a nasty bite years ago from one. but i know the ones he is on about and these ones arent gentle one bit. once there trained and loved theregreat to have as a pet.

chickpea

our efforts finally paid off…the said perpetrator must have gotten his fines from both the dog warden and the litter warden…the dog hasnt been about in a while now… so fingers crossed…

30 euro fine is nothing..im sure the dog warden said he was getting a 100 euro fine..maybe it was for not taking notice after our first complaint…feck him anyway.

i am definitly of the opinion that its the way dogs are treated by their owners that make a dog mean or nice…..thank god our dogs are nice but as i said i wouldnt like to be the person trying to get into our back garden

Taylor5

Good woman Chickpea….

Do you know what annoys me? The amount of people who allow their young kids to walk their dogs before school, the kids NEVER have bags and i have seen many many times the kids who walk past my house every morning letting the dogs shit on the green the kids play on!!!! None of the kids walking their dogs live on my street but the street behind me!!! Its not on my doorstep kinda attutide…. if i sent ds1 out my dogs that stupid she would shit in her own garden 😆 😆 😆 😆

Why let kids walk dogs when they arent going to pick up the dog dirt…. i was doing ds2’s nappy one morning and the little feckers let the dog poo outside my house, i rapped on the window as they walked off, i nearly put my hand through the window but one did come back and pick it up!!!! Aaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.