Zayn has left One Direction…..

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Parenting Advice & Support Zayn has left One Direction…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Our 10yr old was upset listening to the news this evening about Zayn Malik leaving One Direction. She has been a big fan for ages, since they were only started really and she was sad about it.

I think the fact it was not Niall was the only thing that stopped her from crying!

I am sure there are lots of young girls, teens and tweens and even some boys, who are feeling devastated by this news and I was wondering is there any advice on how to deal with this kind of situation?

These youngsters will be getting very upset and its a strange situation for parents to deal with because their child doesn’t actually know the boys in the band but they behave like they do

Just wondering, how should parents deal with this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember when Take That split up (the first time!) in the UK they set up a help line for people to ring as they were so devastated.

One Direction seem to have very dedicated fans, so I would say that they will have forums that people can post their feelings on etc…maybe things will come to light in the next few days.

At least they are still continuing as a 4 piece so that should hopefully giver her some comfort.

CA Coaching
    Participant

Adults and children invest a lot of emotion in music and popular acts and when splits happen, it can seem like they are losing a member of the family!

The first thing I would say is that it is important for you to let your child know that its okay to be upset about this. Some people might turn around and say to a child that there is nothing to be upset about and that they didn’t even know the person but your child needs to know that their feelings are important. This can have a significant impact as they get older.

You could even ask your child if they would like to make a scrapbook about Zayn with photos and funny stories about him and you can use this as an opportunity to talk to them about why he may have felt the need to leave, as they are going to hear lots of different stories about this.

It will pass but let them "grieve" and just be there for them!

Allen

munchin
    Participant

my dd1 is 8 and said oh it’s ok the others are playing on without him – I asked was she upset and she laughed – why would I mam I don’t really like him 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.