Your grocery shopping

Home Forums National Chat Your grocery shopping

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Financial Companion
    Participant

Last night’s consumer show on RTE confirmed something we’ve known for a while, that the supermarkets contantly increase prices just so they can claim to reduce them again! (of course, we never see an ad that says "we’ve just increased 1000 prices so we can fool you in a few weeks"!)

Apart from Superquinn, who stayed consistently at the most expensive during the period that was monitored, the other 3 monitored, Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu all constantly leapfrogged each other. It really proves the importance of knowing the prices of each item. So if a sign says "20% off" or "buy 1 get 1 free" or "reduced to €2.45", it’s only a bargain, if it has been consistently at the higher price (not just for a few quick weeks) and also if it is something that you do actually need. A good tip is to be aware of the prices of non-perishables like tinned foods, toiletries etc. and keep an eye out so that if they are genuinely reduced you can stock up at the lower price. Be careful of reduction signs with small print that may only refer to a particular flavour for example, or may say that the saving is against a "leading brand"! As ever, make a list of what you actually need (either written or in your head before you leave the house) and also don’t shop on an empty stomach! Also, if you are putting a lot of things in the trolley with expiry dates only days away, ask yourself when exactly will you use all of them? Or will you be throwing stuff out a week later? Finally, make sure you take a minute as you finsih at the till to check your receipt (isn’t that right Taylor :wink: ) as mistakes happen on a regular basis. If it happens in Tesco, go to customer service desk and insist on their promise to give you the item free!

The Consumer Show will continue to monitor and good to see they hope to include Aldi and Lidl in the next report. Happy shopping :wink:

mammycool
    Participant

Oh – I missed that one. I do constantly monitor the prices and will generally not buy the products that I want until the price goes down again. This could mean changing to another brand or not buying at all. I refuse to buy anything that has jumped by a euro.

I notice this particularly in nappies and used to see it in formula. The new lower price that we were given on formula over a year ago, suddenly jumped one week by a euro. My dd, who was still on formula but did not need to be, went onto cow’s milk that week!!!!

Taylor5

OMG did my husband logon on as FC and post this, we would be in Tesco, homebase, smyths toys and he would be at the till moaning his head off about the item on sale at 28e now 34e and marked as reduced to 28e…. he rants on about it 🙄
    It did happen me in Halfords over a carseat, had been keeping my eye on a seat for a while, then a big sale 25% off ALL car seat for 1 WEEKEND… yippee, but the feckin Carseat was 15e more expensive!!! 😯 I had photos of the seat 2 weeks earlier on my phone at the cheaper price and i was looking for the 25% off that, they didnt give a hoot. I did report them to consumer affairs but they are still at it so a waste of my time

YES check the Tesco receipts, my mother giving out week on week about a 4 or 5e over charge highlighted how bad it really is… i started to watch the offers i pick up and if not marked off at the end of receipt (another way to fool you) up to customer service for a FULL REFUND… i got 67euro after buying toys on offer, if you say it all the till the manager will just correct the price, if you pay for your items then customer service you get your refund, worth watching….. they love me in Tesco… NOT!! 😆 😆 😆
    i told a girl beside me who was over charged on xmas gift sets, the snake behind the desk asked would you be happy with the difference in price returned, the girl said yes… when pointed out that its TESCO policy to refund the overcharged item she asked for a refund, to say the staff member was LIVID would be an understatement.

im shopping in Aldi 6 months maybe and i have NEVER noticed an item going up in price…. im sticking with Aldi

Financial Companion
    Participant

Over a year on and it’s still a case of knowing the prices and checking your receipts carefully! Tesco eventually removed their "no quibble" promise to refund the cost of an item overcharged and now refund "double the difference" but you still have to push for it!

It’s frustrating when you know that most of the time, their chicken breast fillets are approximately 1 euro per 100 gram, so if the weight is about .498kg, it would be about a fiver. So when you walk in and the "SALE" fridge is listing exactly the weight per euro above and calling it half price (I don’t care if they put a small display somewhere deep for a few weeks to comply with consumer law!) it does not instill confidence in any other "sale" items!

The important thing is to getto know the prices of the regular items you buy and look closely, not just at the display price but also your receipt!

Happy shopping 😉

mammycool
    Participant

I have switche to doing my shopping online the last few months. I write a list and buy from that list. The fact that I am not in the store means that I do not wander off to buy bargains. I have switched to SuperValu online recently. The site is really good. The quality of everything that they deliver is excellent. I know if I pay that bit extra for my meat that I will get the best of meat.

I have managed in the last few weeks to keep my shopping bill under 100euro – which is very good going!!! I did venture into Tesco a month or so ago – the total that day was 262euro – back to the online shopping since then!!!!

lyn11

i am the same mammycool…more often than not now i order online. Makes you think out your choices and removes the temptation of so called bargains or impulse buys! while superquinn are expensive I find I dont buy as much and love their scan yourself option in the pavillionsreally tracks your spending as you are going around. Find tesco expensive and my shopping takes a leap in price when I go there!!

Financial Companion
    Participant

I must give the supervalu online a go mammycool, sounds good!

I’m just back from doing the shopping, I hate when I’m in Tesco and realise I’ve forgotten something that I could have got in Aldi for probably half the price 😆

chewieodie
    Participant

Def Aldi for me all the way….. I use my local Tesco for the things I run out of, but do as much in Aldi as I can. I love the quality, and more so, I love the price. Spent 100e yesterday and came out with a trolley full of groceries…. I’d be lucky if I came out of Tesco with a bag full! 😆

Taylor5

I hate shopping in Tesco now! Im a True Aldi convert…. FC will confirm this as we always meet in Aldi 😆 😆 😆

My shopping in Aldi would average about 85e per week, there a few brands that dh really likes from tesco, i would get a full trolly full in Aldi for 85e and pop to tesco for a few bits, i would have so few items i could carry in my arm without a basket. The few bits could add to 20 to 30e I dont know why half the people havent switched over yet

happymumblemum
    Participant

Aldi here too..Tesco only for a spin round the clothes etc and a treat or two!

You cannot beat Aldi for fruit, and veg..especially there offers..they were doing cherries last week for 70c a punnet!

Anonymous
    Inactive

For fruit and veg that is so fresh every day it has to be Aldi or Lidl. It just doesnt seem so ‘fresh’ elsewhere. Tesco’s price promise thing….dont start me on it. Went up to the desk with an item that was overcharged. The girl gave me back the difference in the item. I asked about the sign which said they would refund the price of the item…she said ‘I’ had to say it to her before she put it through the till or else I only got the difference not a refund??????????????????????

Taylor5

What!!! Thats a joke,… i would have gone back in bought the item again and went back to her 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.