Working memory problems in six year old

Home Forums Louth Chat Working memory problems in six year old

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    edelbyrne
    Participant

hi my 6 year old has just been assessed by neps, we where told she has poor working memory and needs to learn visually instead of verbally. just wondering has anyone come across this any advise welcome…

Jedt

Not sure if this will help at all but do you know the ‘Where’s Wally’ and ‘Where’s Larry’ books?

These are very visual. The child has to find Larry the leprechaun amongst hundreds of people on the crammed page. Its not easy to find him at first but once they do it a few times, they can soon find him quickly enough and this is good for memory and for boosting their confidence in themselves.

Our daughter struggles with reading and gets very frustrated when she cannot understand certain words but she absolutely loves these books. I think because she has figured them out without needing to know any specific words, has helped her.

Its just one idea and maybe could be worth trying.

how are you coping with this? its not easy when a child has any kind of learning issues – we’ve been through it with one of our daughters and she and we get frustrated at times.

HTH a little

CA Coaching
    Participant

Sabbi’s suggestion is really good, I’d definitely give those a go!

We actually run a programme called Pass Literacy On, which works specifically with children who are visual learners. This programme works immediately, is easy to do and increases ability and confidence in your child. We have had phenomenal success working with large group sizes and on a one family only basis.

Here’s some information on the programme:

The Pass Literacy On programme programme was designed in the UK to simply teach the brain effective skills to overcome the symptoms of learning difficulties. It is a different approach to improving spelling and reading and it dramatically reduces the challenges of Dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, and Dispraxia.

Children with learning difficulties are highly visual but they cannot control their visual field and are unableto concentrate. The simple skills taught in this programme will allow teachers to work with children to:
    • Become fluent at reading and spelling through developing the skill to ‘see’ words in their minds eye – a skill all good readers and spellers have.
    • Improve concentration and motor skills through learning to stabilise their visual memory.
    • Extend their visual memory for reading and numbers.

HOW DOES IT WORK
    • Pass Literacy On teaches children how to use their visual skills to learn.
    • Will show you how children learn visually
    • Focuses on what the child can do rather than what they can’t do.
    • Shows each child how to get into the best emotional state to learn
    • Helps teachers build the child’s confidence.

` LEARNING OUTCOMES
    • You will have the techniques to work with children who have learning difficulties which will vastly improve their spelling and literacy.
    • Classroom behaviour will improve and frustration will abate.
    • You will have an understanding of how to support children’s learning needs.

Here are some testimonials from past participants:

FEEDBACK FROM PARENTS:

“Many thanks to you for running the course and what an eye-opener! My daughter is still writing on her post-it notes and has then stuck all to the presses in the kitchen. She is delighted with herself and loves doing the 10 to 15 mins of fun/practice everyday. She has even has her 4 year old sister working on it too.”

“We had a parent teacher meeting today. Across the board, her teacher has noticed a big improvement. Spelling, maths, concentration and keeping up with her school work – it was so fantastic to hear!”

“Your course has boosted my little girl’s self-esteem no end. Learning is now a more positive experience for her. She loves spelling now and has a real curiosity about words that she never had before.”

FEEDBACK FROM TEACHERS:

“Firstly I would like to thank Con for the wonderful workshop that he delivered to myself parents and children in Scoil Eoin Baiste. I am continuing to see the benefits and effects from this workshop on a daily basis with the children that I work with in a small group setting. So much so that they are challenging me to spell the words backwards (using their taught methodof whiteboards) and to date they have taken great joy in my epic fails but their joy and pride in knowing they are succeeding in something that I cannot do is amazing!”

“The workshop was not only informative to myself and undoubtedly the parents, but also reinforced in the children’s minds their strengths and then how to overcome their weaknesses; which in most cases is spelling. Children were made realise that they were not stupid but that they learned in a different way than others, and was what they were taught during the session. One child stated afterwards when asked did he enjoy the workshop; “Yes, I enjoyed it. I learned that I was not stupid and I learned how to spell. I know now that I just learn differently than others.”

“Parents also had the opportunity to ask any questions and seek advice regarding homework etc. What also became very apparent was that the parents also left the school with a certain confidence that they were going to be part responsible for helping their child succeed in literacy and that they then had the knowledge and confidence to do so. The whole experience in my own opinion was a very positive one for both parents and children. Con was very approachable to both parents and children, and all felt comfortable working with him and were confident to ask him questions throughout.”

You can contact me on 086-8058404 or at allen@cacoaching.ie for more info.

Hope this helps.

Allen

edelbyrne
    Participant

[Hi Sabbi

Thank you for this information i will try these books. Yes good question how am i coping and i will say it is very hard the temper, tantrums and its all frustration…

I am going to also look into the CA program that looks very interesting.

Thanks

allyj

Hi edel, just came across this website and remembered your post. There’s loads of links in it that you may find useful… http://www.visualspatial.org

allyj

Hi Allen, I was wondering what age you think would be old enough for a child to benefit from the pass literacy on programme you spoke about. My son is 5, in junior infants and is having significant problems with areas of learning such as handwriting, numerical skills and phonics. Going through assessments at the moment, so far borderline dyspraxia but I have a sense that his general learning style is a little different, what some refer to as right brained or visual learner etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.